Forums

0-60 under 4.9s on base version?

0-60 under 4.9s on base version?

The "slowest" new Model S (S75) now does 0-60 in 4.3s. It was 5.5s before very recent hardware and software update.

It feels like it would be logical for the production model 3's specs to have a similar update/improvement right?

Otherwise the base model S is now 1.3s quicker than model 3, and probably faster than a lot of the model 3 P times that people have been speculating on here.

AJPHL | 13 juillet 2017

I would be surprised if the base M3 does a sub-5 run to 60. From a marketing point of view if nothing else, it would make more sense to save sub-5 for either dual motors and/or a future Performance edition. For a good number of buyers, even sub-6 in base trim would represent the fastest car they've owned.

andy.connor.e | 13 juillet 2017

Base Model 3 will be 5s

Ok i guess it didnt want to display the rest.

Greater than 5s, but Less than 6s.

Frank99 | 13 juillet 2017

AJPHL +1, andy +1.

carlk | 13 juillet 2017

What's the point of this thread?

carlk | 13 juillet 2017

What's the point of this thread?

The OP is wondering if the predicted 0-60 acceleration for base Model 3 is going to improve from the initial unveiling.

His reasoning coming from previous Model S improvements. But, question answered, whether its better than the initial predicted value, will not be less than 5s.

topher | 13 juillet 2017

It would seem very strange for them to leave out a software optimization if it could be applied to the Model 3.

Thank you kindly.

gavinmcc | 13 juillet 2017

I assume Telsa wants to keep a difference between the S and the 3 other than "the 3 is a smaller S."

S will always be faster...likely quite a bit faster. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3 is mildly limited by software vs optimized by software.

A performance 3 will add speed, but again not to S level.

IMHO...

G

burdogg | 13 juillet 2017

Topher - it is more than software - there is also hardware involved for the S and X - hence all us previous owners do not get the extra speed.

So, I go with no, as it is different hardware - maybe even a little more cost for that. Plus I see this as a way they are able to differentiate the S and the 3. You really can't expect both cars to do the exact same thing, but one cost twice as much :)

SolidWhite60DX | 13 juillet 2017

I don't think Tesla will artificially slow down the model 3. So I think they will be around 5.5 on the base model. Their main competition isn't the model s, but ICE cars. The model 3 is the car that will make or break Tesla, so they have to make it the best it can be. The recent update to the model S/X was just to catch up to the model 3.

The main advantage the model S has over the 3 right now is that you can actually buy it, and that will remain for a couple of years while the model 3 backlog is addressed. After that, they'll come up with a bigger feature set for the model S, or they'll lower its price.

SolidWhite60DX | 13 juillet 2017

4.5, I meant 4.5!

carlk | 13 juillet 2017

They will add more features. No one in his right mind would want to lower the price to destroy a hard earned brand image.

LA-Fohlen | 13 juillet 2017

Aren't the improvements on the Model S based on findings from the Model 3? In this case the 5.6 seconds that was mentioned a month or two back still stands because I assume that this number already includes the improvements.

If not it would be a nice surprise.

carlk | 13 juillet 2017

andy.connor.e Yes it will not be under 5s. I just find it funny that when people are offered a $35K car with features and performances no similar cars could offer, on top of it's an electric car, they still are asking for something more. Just how greedy a person could be.

Shock | 13 juillet 2017

Would be nice, but I wouldn't count on it or particularly need it. 5.6 seconds is a very, very snappy 0-60 time and highly competitive with even sport-oriented cars at the same price tag. Yet, unlike those, it consumes less "fuel" than a Prius and also (eventually) will let you take a nap on your way to work.

The instant torque of electric is also killer. No throttle delay is worth a lot.

Atlanta09 | 13 juillet 2017

Artificially limiting the software on the model 3 seems very anti-Tesla for some reason ,so I don't think they'll do that.

Hardware is another issue though. has anyone seen an explanation from Tesla on what the "hardware" component of the recent update actually consists of? Would make it easier to figure out if the 5.6s number was derived before or after they would have come up with the hardware change.

The fact that you cannot buy another car for the same price that is equal or better than the Model 3, AND the fact that the Model 3 is entirely different technology to what has existed for 110 years, and again that its better, is something that every single pessimistic person is completely overlooking.

JeffreyR | 13 juillet 2017

My assumption is that performance improvements on MS/MX are Ludicrous light. The software is like pack management to get more juice and traction control.
So I doubt M3 non-P will get anything beyond sw improvements (maybe M3 R&D is sw source).

Not to be negative, and yes we all understand the shortcomings of "0-60" as an acceleration metric for EVs- but Ford, Chevy, Subaru, Hyundai, Nissan, Mitsubishi, dodge all make performance oriented cars under $35k with faster 0-60 times than 5.6s.

Heck, practically EVERY performance-oriented non luxury badged car right at the $35k-$40k mark has better 0-60 times.

I recognize its a sedan, where most of the cars I'm referencing are coupes, but I don't think its necessarily "greedy" to think the model 3 could have a time in the 4.5s range.

carlk | 13 juillet 2017

Also want to add that a 5.5 sec Tesla will kill any 5.5 sec ICE car, or even 4.5 sec ICE cars, off line. The Tesla will catapult out in the first second or two while the ICE car will just stay there struggling to take off. A 5.5 sec Tesla is REAL FAST. People who drills on the 0-60 time likely have never driven a Tesla. Unless of course if you want to race a Model S.

@Atlanta

There are more important things than acceleration in this world.

carlk | 13 juillet 2017

"Ford, Chevy, Subaru, Hyundai, Nissan, Mitsubishi, dodge all make performance oriented cars ..."

Ford, Chevy, Subaru, Hyundai, Nissan, Mitsubishi, dodge ???? Glad you did not mention Yugo.

If you're not greedy you should recognize Tesla is on the same level as BMW or Porsche not those garbage you want to buy.

LostInTx | 13 juillet 2017

Geez, carlk, when people on this forum complain about pretentious responses to fairly innocuous posts, can I presume they're talking about you?

I reserved a Model 3 on day one but the Tesla Kool-Aid is getting close to syrupy around here.

Atlanta09, I agree - plenty of performance cars will top the 0-60 speed of the Model 3. Perhaps not off the line but still.. And it's disappointing to learn that the manufacturers of ICE cars, the backbone of American industry and consumerism for a century, is reduced to producing "garbage" simply because they weren't spawned from Elon Musk's loins.

carlk | 13 juillet 2017

Lol you're not the first and will not be the only greedy whiners we see here. People never fail to amaze me.

carlk | 13 juillet 2017

Not only greedy but ignorant as hell too.

Here is a question I'm sure many of you could not give the correct answer. A Tesla and a Nissan, or whatever, both have 5.5 sec 0-60 taking off when light changed to green and both stopped accelerating when reached 60 mph. Which car is ahead and why. This is not a trick question.

We're not greedy, nor are we whiners. It's called being realistic and pragmatic. If you have nothing to say beyond that which can be easily encapsulated so as to fit on a bumper sticker, maybe step away from the keyboard, put down the latte and take a lap..

carlk | 13 juillet 2017

Answer that question or you're just greedy and ignorant.

Pretentious confirmed. Perhaps borderline D-Bag as well.

As I not in any way predisposed to fall into your snarky world, I'll simply tell you (look it up, it's easy), that a '16 Mustang with a V6 does 0-60 is 5.3. Is it a Tesla? Fraid not - sorry about that. Is it a perfectly acceptable car? Absolutely.

I'll step away from the discussion - you've proven to be the type person I'd choose not to associate with in the real world. Enjoy the bitter taste that comes with believing the drivel spewed from your mouth actually means anything.

Shock | 13 juillet 2017

Calling people greedy because they want more speed is a baffling statement. What if this car was 6.5 0-60 and they wanted 5.6. Would that be greedy? What if it was 10 seconds and they wanted 7, is that greedy? People are here because they know $35k buys a lot of car. They are not demanding more just pondering whether there will be more.

carlk | 13 juillet 2017

I know you have no idea what we are talking about. Yes go away there is no need for you to try so hard to prove you're an ignorant jerk.

For others who are interested, it's fine if you did not know this before, a 5.5 sec Tesla will win big over a 5.5 sec ICE car in a 0-60 run. Sounds strange but it's simple physics. Because of its fast 0~30 the Tesla will take a big lead in the first 2~3 seconds and that lead will continue to increase until at end of 5.5 sec when both cars reached 60 mph. The ICE will never be able to close the gap. That's what people are talking about that special instantaneous torque and pedal response. In case you have not heard it 10 sec Leaf people are talking about the same thing too. That's why EV is really going to kill ICE in the performance aspect.

I owned a sub 5 sec Porsche Cayman S until last year. When I drove a 6 sec S60 loaner, yes base S had 6 sec 0-60 when everyone gaga'd about how fast it goes, I was surprised that it felt much faster than my Porsche. Again that instantaneous torque rules. People who only know Mustang you should just shut your silly freaking mouth up.

gavinmcc | 13 juillet 2017

there are anti tesla trolls and pro tesla trolls...some just want a reaction.

I will comment on the instant torque...the off the line speed of electric vehicles is insane...my motorcycle friends all say my bike is like watching a slot car...just instantly at speed...it is fun.

there are motorcycle races where the bikes are all about the same top speed, but the electrics just smoke them off the line.

G

carlk | 13 juillet 2017

@Shock Depending on what level the car it is and how much you're asked to pay for it. And don't ponder Tesla already said that's what you'll be getting.

@gavinmcc - I had to laugh - how did your electric "smoke" them off the line - exhaust????

:)

carlk | 13 juillet 2017

@gavinmcc Thank you for your comment. People need to understand what they are talking about before making those strange comments. Whenever I see 0-60 mentioned on the Tesla forum I know they do not know what they are talking about. It's a useless number unless if it's used to compare similar electric vehicles.

bedoig | 13 juillet 2017

@Ready - totally agree.

@carl - you're way out on a limb here. We all get that time to speed is not the same as time to distance.

Rutrow | 13 juillet 2017

Tires! Or as BJ would say, Tyres.

carlk | 13 juillet 2017

@bedoig If you get that why is people keep on comparing 5.5 sec Tesla to 5.5 sec ICE cars? Which part of you get ahead when light changes and continue to pull away you don't like? And which part of that you stopped when reaching 60 mph with 3~4 or likely more car length lead you don't like?

topher | 13 juillet 2017

"it is more than software"

Yes, I know that. Go re-read my point.

Thank you kindly.

When @carlk started name calling with "jerk" maybe he/she was actually referencing the physics term "jerk", the derivative of "acceleration"?

carlk | 13 juillet 2017

Sorry I take the jerk back but those ignorant comments do get me.

noleaf4me | 13 juillet 2017

My take....Base model with base battery will be mid 5's Larger battery will be hi 4's. Performance version in low 4's Ludicrous will be in high 3's

Shock | 13 juillet 2017

@carlk I'm glad you mentioned the Leaf because I owned one. Up to 20-30 it was very nice for a car with 107 hp (IIRC). Felt miles better than a Prius which had a better power to weight ratio (but damnably pathetic pickup). But after 30, believe me, you noticed. That 10 second 0-60 caught up to it. The last time I raced somebody he was in a truck and he thrashed me. So a model 3 vs a 5.6 ICE the 3 will be ahead at 60 mph but i bet if you kept on going to 100 that ICE would beat it.

Nobody should dispute that the instant torque of electric is nice and I think people are going in general to be quite taken aback at how snappy this car will feel in person. But that is beside the point; a 4.9 s electric will feel faster than a 5.6. 0-60 still has relevance.

elephant in a bottle | 13 juillet 2017

The Elon Musk guarantee is every Tesla will be faster than Gary. Except of course, his boring machine.

LA-Fohlen | 13 juillet 2017

@Shock - Frankly, I don't see the need to push a car from 0-100 unless I'm in a race which I've never been. I see the point that some people have the hope that the Model 3 might go faster and it will... with a bigger battery pack. But 5.6 seconds exceeds everything I've driven so far except for the Model S 90D test.

Rutrow | 13 juillet 2017

How fast can Gary bore?

eeb9 | 13 juillet 2017

I'm curious about something. EM has said that the Model S will be faster than the Model 3, and for the most part that makes sense.

But given weight and battery capacity and suchlike, why would not the top of the line 3 not be able to outpace a base (or even an older model-year base) Model S?

I see that kind of overlap all over the place, and the only thing that would seem to prevent it in this case would be a deliberate limitation

Would they really do that just to protect (base) Model S sales?

elephant in a bottle | 13 juillet 2017

@rutrow Elon claims that Gary is his pet snail. Per his calculations, Gary is going 14x faster than his boring machine.

Gary in ludicrous mode reaches max speed of 0.03 mph!

MarylandS85 | 13 juillet 2017

Lmao "Gary in ludicrous mode." I wanna see a time lapse YouTube of this phenomenon.

Pages