Forums

Is $9,000 a bargain?

Is $9,000 a bargain?

Looking at Model S 75 vs 100 seems to have a similar difference in range as Model 3 310 vs M3 215 range. The difference in price in the S world is over $20,000. Price difference in Model 3 world is $9,000, so $9K seems like a real bargain. Am I missing something here? Comments?

PhillyGal | 1 août 2017

Nope, not missing anything. When you compare it's a huge bargain!
It seems like a lot to swallow, especially as a percentage of the base price but in truth, there even being a $35,000 Tesla is the real miracle.

MarlonBrown | 1 août 2017

It is documented that the M3 (sorry BMW) 310 miles offers the best value ($/mile) of all EVs.

You are correct.

mntlvr23 | 1 août 2017

It is the most expensive bargain that I have ever seriously considered.

TheChad | 1 août 2017

Key word is bargain. Yes it's a bargain. No it's not cheap for the masses. There is a difference there that some people need to realize.

gatorj31 | 1 août 2017

You know, when comparing it to the upgrade price for the model S it really does seem like more of a bargain. I'm really torn. On one hand I don't really care much about more stops on a road trip, but on the other hand, I have little ones that will care about heat and 1 hr stops.

ebiggs | 1 août 2017

We can estimate that the Long Range is +15kWh. 7 years ago at $1000/kWh that would have been $15000 just in the cost of the cells (not including the larger battery pack system i.e. cooling). Today, Tesla claims they got the cost under $190/kWh (so $2850 for 15kWh). This indicates Tesla is probably making a nice profit off its long range pricing, but, just 7 years ago this kind of pricing would be but a dream. So, it's all in your perspective. Tesla has made it no secret they seek lager profit margins than what is typically seen by auto manufacturers... So buy some TSLA and join the party.

kenbefound | 1 août 2017

Isn't it really a $14000 option because for the foreseeable future seems like we're locked into getting the Premium Package if we want the Long Range?

akgolf | 1 août 2017

I think it is a bargain and although I probably don't need the extra range, I'll opt for it.

mntlvr23 | 1 août 2017

@ken- not if you wait

ReD eXiLe ms us | 1 août 2017

TheChad: Luckily, the only time that anyone at Tesla mentions the word 'cheap' is in relation to the cost of Supercharging as opposed to buying gasoline. No one at Tesla ever promised a 'cheap' car, only one that would be affordable, attainable, and available at mass market quantities. So, yeah... It's a bargain, but it ain't cheap.

carlk | 1 août 2017

Yes it's a bargan. If I could pay $9000 for an extra 90 miles of range for my S or X, even that I don't necessarily need that, I'd go write the check right away.

topher | 1 août 2017

Well, if the standard battery pack is 55 kWh, then the $9,000 is $450 per kWh. Apply that to the base, and the battery alone would cost $24,750. Leaving $10,250 for the rest of the car. So, yeah, Tesla is taking a much bigger margin on the upgrade.

And I would like to thank all the people considering buying it, and helping the next step in the master plan.

Thank you kindly.

ramirezfrank96 | 1 août 2017

I am planning on purchasing the long range, and with my tax credit I will purchase the autopilot (I know it may be more expensive after purchase).

Bighorn | 1 août 2017

@ebiggs
15kWh is too low. 90 miles divided by 4 miles per kWh is 22.5.

9699336 | 1 août 2017

It s definetly not cheap bit my concern if i need it or not ,it just like iphone batteries it doesn t matter if has a charge of 5% or 30% i put on the charger in the evening anyhow.230miles is pretty much enough for my daily commute however i do longer trips once per month but those are more than 400miles so i need to schedule a pitstop anyhow.

Mr.Tesla | 2 août 2017

"Isn't it really a $14000 option because for the foreseeable future seems like we're locked into getting the Premium Package if we want the Long Range?"

Is middle or late next year considered unforeseeable?

weluvm3 | 2 août 2017

It's not a bargain. It's a highly profitable upsell aimed at impatient, early adopters, that most of us truly don't need. In the next few years, the cost of that additional mileage will drop signifanctly, and people who paid for it now will feel foolish (although they will try their best to justify their choice to ease the pain.)

To provide some context, I recently attended an industry sponsored focus group, where one of the topics of discussion was a proposal to provide 100 additional miles of range, from 200 to 300, for $4,500! And, ironically, this was universally rejected by the participants as being "not worth it!" A current owner of a Bolt said he got along just fine with his current range. The other participants agreed that it would be more prudent to lease the 200 mile range version, as most cars would offer 300 miles "for free" when the lease was up. I agreed with this.

And here we are, faced with the same choice, only the price is double. And people are seriously speculating if it is "worth it." Again, NO, it's really not "worth it" for most people. The logical, rational move would be to reject this pricey upsell, lease the car, and get 300 miles anyway in a few years. Maybe it will be a Volkswagen or Toyota, but you will get it bundled in the base price I assure you.

But, we all "know" people are not thinking rationally right now. We've all endured endless months of hype and speculation. Tesla has made us emotionally invested in this by taking our deposits. We all want our cars ASAP. Tesla is counting on people not making fully rational choices, and they've priced their upsells accordingly. If you buy it, know that you are doing what is best for Tesla, not necessarily what is best for you and your family.

I'm not saying this because I'm down on Tesla. I fully understand why they are doing this. It is marketing 101. Every company would, and should, do the same in this situation. In fact, they could probably gouge "us" for even more, so maybe they are letting us off easy. But the fact remains that it is a highly profitable upsell that most people don't truly need, and which will eventually be essentially free if you are patient. So go into this with open eyes, people!

akgolf | 2 août 2017

"It's not a bargain. It's a highly profitable upsell aimed at impatient, early adopters, that most of us truly don't need. In the next few years, the cost of that additional mileage will drop signifanctly, and people who paid for it now will feel foolish (although they will try their best to justify their choice to ease the pain.)"

You realize that if you don't upgrade to the larger battery when purchased, it can't be upgrade to a larger battery later when it's cheaper.

tripplett | 2 août 2017

An article on Electrek estimated the battery on a model 3 at around $6,875 - "If we assume a 55 kWh battery pack, the battery in the base Model 3 would cost “less than” $6,875".

If we divide 6875 by 220 mile range that gives us $31.25 per mile of range. Now multiply that by 90 extra miles more range and you get $2,812.50. That is a far cry from a $9k increase.

I've been struggling with the question of buying the extra battery range. For me I ordered my 3 in June 2017 so not that early. Right now Tesla shows delivery in late spring 2018. If I am offered to get my 3 early as part of the first run (+$14k with premium and battery update) I will take it. If I don't get to configure till the standards are available (most likely) I will opt for standard battery and use that money towards Autopilot and the $5k interior / glass roof upgrade.

If you are wondering if 90 extra miles will help you I can offer up what I did. Google "map with a range circle" and the first link takes you to Google Maps but lets you drop radius circles. I looked at a map of 200 and 300 miles from my home. Then i noted where family members were and frequent vacation destinations I've visited in the past. I also compared this to Tesla's Supercharger map. For me I can get to most of my destinations in 220 miles. The only thing that would be nice is with the 310 I could get to most of it AND BACK on a single charge. Sadly I'll have to give that up.

Keep in mind also that Elon said that Tesla will triple the amount of Superchargers by the end of 2018. I don't think that included destination chargers, but it may. After a few years 220 miles should be enough for almost anyone if you are willing to quick charge on long vacation trips. For me I can pay to charge an awful lot before I spend $9k.

CraigW | 2 août 2017

The additional range is very clearly not needed in most cases - solely due to supercharger density for long trips. The reason I say most cases is that there are some that commute and some in very cold climates (Norway sold more S85s than S60s) that will almost require the larger range. For the rest of us it is mostly an ego or security thing. I say this because I actually have driven an S60 all over the U.S. and very seldom felt the larger battery would make things much easier.

That said, most Americans will want to get the larger battery and the larger battery will have a noticeable resale edge. Primarily we are talking about ego and EV fear.

Of course, I am seriously considering the larger battery myself - I will get the car a few months sooner and I have an ego too.

weluvm3 | 2 août 2017

@akgolf Not from Tesla, no. So lease this car, and get one with 300 miles later for free.

I know for a fact it's coming at $4000+. Judging from the unreleased cars we were asked to evaluate, probably from GM. And, by the way, some of what I saw wasn't at all bad. I still like the Model 3 better overall, but at the current pricing and options, they had some real competition and in some respects they are behind as I now know.

eeb9 | 2 août 2017

220 mile base range will handily cover almost all of my routine driving - but I find that I have a surprising number of "edge cases".

Yesterday, between commuting to an off-site training site, back to the office, back to the training site and back home, I drive 250 miles with no chargers along the route. I could have made a side-trip to the Atlanta SC, but it would have added almost an hour of driving (Atlanta traffic...), plus the charge time itself.

I don't have these days very often, but I have them. I also do long road trips, and I only want to own one car - no ICE car for long trips, and I'd rather not rent.

So I'm leaning hard to the extended battery.

And, yeah, I think it will help with resale.

The thing I'm truly not sold on remains EAP. I'm having a hard time justifying the cost/benefit (for me - YMMV) on that one.

CraigW | 2 août 2017

eeb9,
The good thing is that you can add EAP later.

P.S. I have AP1 on my S75D and love it for heavy traffic, as well as long distance driving.

akgolf | 2 août 2017

@Fiddlesticks.

GM doesn't want to make EVs, they've asked the government to allow them to stop. What facts do you have that they'll jump on board.

Who exactly is Tesla behind in the EV market?

SamO | 2 août 2017

1. You can upgrade Autopilot/FSD after the fact. Each portion is $1,000 more if activated after purchase.

2. Elon Musk has stated that owners will be able to upgrade batteries in the future. Not soon.

3. Aftermarket battery upgrades are currently available for Model S and X.

Vesel | 2 août 2017

Before considering the standard battery you should factor in that batteries lose capacity with time and use, so you won't have that 220 mile range forever. You should also factor in that ideally you never charge above 80% to preserve the battery. At least don't charge it above 80% on a daily basis. 80% of 220 miles is 176 miles.

Other factors to think of:
- How often do you drive on long trips?
- Will you use the car towing a trailer or carrying a roof box?
- Do you drive at high speeds?
- Do you drive in a cold climate?

All those circumstances contribute to higher energy usage, and the larger battery may in those cases be convenient to have.

PhillyGal | 2 août 2017

@tripplett - Yeah and Viagara costs a penny per pill to make. That doesn't come close to counting the R&D costs, regulatory/admin costs for such a complex industry, advertising, overhead, etc.

Tesla's mission is to accelerate the adoption of sustainable transport. That mission shows in everything they do. They are not price gouging for the sake of price gouging. They're doing the best they can to keep things affordable given what you're getting.

akgolf | 2 août 2017

@SamO - "2. Elon Musk has stated that owners will be able to upgrade batteries in the future. Not soon.

3. Aftermarket battery upgrades are currently available for Model S and X."

I wasn't aware of these.

finman100 | 2 août 2017

and did GM even mention how to charge these "bigger batteries are coming" on a long-distance road trip? yeah, thought so. 300 miles...then what?

ebiggs | 2 août 2017

In addition to @Vesel's list, does driving with the windows down greatly impact mileage? AC? Heat? Anything else I'm missing?

TheChad | 2 août 2017

Some people are basing the $9000 upgraded battery as not a bargain based on future pricing of the. Arteries being cheaper. This may be so, and defiantly is the trend, but for right now this is what is available. The Model 3 LD averages oit to be the most cost effective EV available.

bmalloy0 | 2 août 2017

It's definitely a bargain but it's still a bargain that many (myself included, sadly) cannot afford.

weluvm3 | 2 août 2017

@akgolf As I've already said, the proposed cost to upgrade from 200 to 300 miles range that is being actively researched is $4000+. That is a superior value to what Tesla is currently offering. Simple math: $4000 < $9000, hence $4000 is better.

tripplett | 2 août 2017

Well, I wish I could get the 310 battery. I want to support companies like Tesla who are out to change the world for the better. Like mentioned above you are only regularly charging to about 80% so your 310 is now 279 and the 220 is now 176. That doesn't take into consideration degradation.

For me I just can't afford the extra 9k. I've told the wife for a year now that the 3 will be $35k base. I always knew I wanted the glass roof and Autopilot along with the 19" rims (the 18's are hideous. Who at Tesla thought they looked good?). I haven't told her yet the prices have started to come out. My $35k is now up to $47.5k with paint. Add in 1k destination, taxes, take off the 1k down payment and I'm still at $50k. So, adding 9k on top of that is a no go. Nothing like saying "Hey hon, I'm buying us a $35,000 car and the added options are only $21,500 more. I am just not willing to sacrifice the glass roof, paint, rims, and autopilot for 90 miles. Your mileage may vary. Oh and before you say just add AP later I can tell you that if I don't bundle that up front that argument would be lost as well unless I'm willing to sell a kidney or something ;-)

sbeggs | 2 août 2017

@tripplett,
I'm the reverse. Not willing to sacrifice the longer range, but willing to sacrifice rims, glass roof, premium interior.

SCCRENDO | 2 août 2017

Elon's mission is promote clean energy and part of his strategy is through his cars. He is more altruistic than most but is still entitled to make a profit. In fact he needs capital to achieve his goal. For those of us who can afford the extra costs and are prepared to pay, is there any good reason why he should not assist us. Buying the larger battery will increase the probability of getting the $7500 rebate. He has come out with a more affordable car but would rather sell the more profitable ones. Financially it may make sense to all to buy the bigger battery, get your car earlier and get the federal rebate

rxlawdude | 2 août 2017

TEA score for Fiddlesticks: 95%

@Fiddlesticks: If your focus group was talking about extending the range of an EV from 200 to 300 miles, it was talking about brands with no infrastructure for travel. Hell, it can have a 400 mile range, but with no chargers on the way, that 600 mile drive to grandma's will be a bitch.

You seem to forget about that x factor. A very important x factor.

kkchan67 | 2 août 2017

For folks who wants to get the best deal you can (and that's majority of us), clearly the best deal is the base model $35k with the built- in advanced technology and the safest car in the price range. You've already waited a year and a half, what's another 2 months? Clearly Tesla is making a profit with the $9000 extended range version. It is not a question of fairness. To keep the company running, to pay all the top-notched engineers so they don't defect to Apple/Google, to satisfy the stockholders, this is where the profits going to come from. But if you believe in Elon Musk, you know that he's not trying to haul in this cash for his own benefit. It is for the development of the semi, the Model Y, and heck, for updating the Model3 software so it gets better and better each year you own the car. "Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy." If you have the money and you want to support that, you should. I'm in!

kkchan67 | 2 août 2017

Okay I'm just half-in :-). I'll getting the extended range for my wife, and then wait for the $35k bottom line version for myself!

Darkon | 2 août 2017

Fiddlesticks...you missed some important qualifiers...
$9,000 for something REAL you can definitely get when you buy your car vs. $4,000 (or so you say) for something that DOESN'T YET EXIST and MAY NOT EVER BE AVAILABLE for the M3.

I understand you were part of an industry sponsored focus group where this was discussed, but that doesn't make what was discussed a strong predictor of what you will see in the future. It IS interesting information, but "the industry" has been wrong time and time again about what was possible with EV's and what people were willing to buy. And as you can see at any auto show, many cars are shown that are never actually released.

IF what you said you saw is actually released, THEN people will have a voice between what they can buy. But it hasn't been released, nor has it been publicly announced (or even credibly rumored).

For me, getting a 300+ mile Bolt for $4,000 more than the 200+ mile Bolt still wouldn't be an acceptable alternative to the Tesla M3 (with the 300+ mile upgrade for $9,000) because I like the styling and other features of the M3 over the those of the Bolt.

To the original question...is $9,000 for this upgrade a "bargain"?

Well, "bargain" is a fuzzy term...it's not just a matter of math and one number being larger or smaller than another. Tesla obviously needs to make a profit, but how much of a profit? They clearly need too cover their cost of goods to produce the cars, but they also need to pay for R&D, support and other costs associated with doing business. These are not trivial costs. They also need to generate additional revenue to create the infrastructure needed to produce (and charge) the large number of cars they intend to produce.

Roadster buyers helped fund the development of the MS.

MS buyers helped fund the development of the MX

MX (& MS) buyers helped fund the development of the M3

M3 buyers will be helping to fund the development of newer cars and expansion of the Super Charger network (something that will be required to support these new buyers).

As has happened with the MS/MX, as time goes on you end up getting more for your dollar than early buyers. That's the benefit of waiting...you almost always get more for your dollar.

The numbers have shown that "cost per mile of range", the M3 with the larger battery has the lowest cost (if you skip all other upgrades...not sure where it falls if you start to factor in different upgrades). So if your goal is to get the car that has the best cost per mile of range, then the M3 with larger battery is the car to buy if you are buying a car today. A few months from now, that could change, but that's what the numbers show today.

Whether the increased cost is "worth it" is a individual question that involves how much money you make, how much each dollar of income matters to you, how often you drive longer distances, how much you value your time and whether you can do something of value with your time while waiting for your car to charge or you consider this wasted time.

Personally, I'm still on the fence regarding the battery upgrade. The $9,000 difference is not trivial for me and based on my current driving habits, I would rarely need the extra range. So if I could get either option today, I probably wouldn't get the larger battery. Other factors I'm considering when trying to make the decision about the upgrade include:

1) How badly do I want to get my M3 3-months earlier? Pretty badly, but (as of this moment), not badly enough to pay an additional $9,000 since I also plan on getting most of the other upgrades (which I WILL use/enjoy on a daily basis, unlike the additional range which will really only be useful to me a few times a year).

2) How long do I think I'll keep my M3? Three years? Five years? Ten years? I drove my previous 2 cars over 200,000 miles over more than 10 years each, so as long as it keeps working well, I tend to keep the car until the cost of maintaining it becomes unacceptable compared to buying a new car. But if the resale value of my M3 is high and I can get a new EV with even more options in 3-5 years, then I might upgrade to a larger battery at that time, when I assume the cost/mile will have dropped further.

3) How much do I want to spend annually on my car(s) in the future and how will this be impacted by purchasing an EV vs an ICE? As mentioned above, by keeping a car for 10+ years I greatly reduce my annual expenses related to my cars because most of the time I'm driving the car the loan has already been paid off. At this point, I'm just paying for "fuel", insurance and basic maintenance.

4) How much will the larger battery affect resale/trade-in value when I decide to get a new car? That is, if the original (without larger battery) has decreased in value by 50% of the purchase price, will I get more or less than $4,500 more for the same car with the larger battery?

5) How much will the battery performance degrade over time? The smaller battery might be fine today, but if the range drops by 25% over the next 5 - 10 years and Tesla tells me this is "normal", my 220-mile battery now only takes me 165 miles where the larger battery would still get me 232 miles.

6) When might I need to get the original battery replaced due performance/capacity degradation, will there be larger battery choices at that time and what will they cost?

7) If for some reason the cost of the replacement battery is more than I want to pay (regardless of whether the costs have gone up or down over time, though I'm assuming they will go down), will I have the option of switching to a smaller battery if I get the larger battery now and conclude I don't need the extra range?

Clearly, getting the larger battery for $9,000 is not a "no-brainer" decision. The 220 mile battery allows people to get an awesome car that will more than meet most people's needs at a great price for everything else you get. The 310 mile battery is available for those that need/want longer range and want the most range for their dollar.

tripplett | 2 août 2017

@Darkon well said, well said.
#1 and 2 is what I am thinking too. Get the regular battery and all the things I will enjoy every day, glass roof, interior, AP, etc. Then drive it for 3-5 years and by then trade it in for the 'new' car Tesla will be designing. Model Y or who knows what by then. I will still have the safest, funnest, best car in that price range to enjoy. We were all fine putting our deposits down for minimum 215 mile car till that 310 mile battery was announced, lol.

tom168 | 2 août 2017

The 310 miles is the main reason that we are getting the M3 instead of another MS (we plan to pull the trigger in Oct). The MS 100D is over $100K. Yes, M3 is not MS, but it is a great car, for a 2nd car, we'll save $30K+. We'll become a EV only household. 300 miles is a sweet spot for long distance driving. It allows us to visit more "national" parks without worrying "range". So, $9,000 is a bargain.

Unless GM, Audi (VW) are willing to build the "supercharger" infrastructure, Tesla will dominate the EV market. Or the Toyota "new" battery may be the Tesla Killer ;-(

SamO | 2 août 2017

@ak,

He said it on the earnings call in June. For aftermarket, Jason Hughes aka @WK057

https://twitter.com/wk057

Johnn_hardy | 2 août 2017

Keep in mind several things about the base battery vs the long range battery:
1. The long range battery charges much faster when using a Supercharger.
2. Superchargers throttle the rate of charge as you approach full. I would guess that you could charge a long range battery to 220 miles in half the time it would take to charge the base battery to that level (100%).
3. Charging any battery to full shortens it's life. I gave a Model S 85 and never charge it past about 85% ever. That is because if both time (throttled way down at the end) and battery wear and tear). Ergo, the real world range of the base is more like 190 or so miles.

Bighorn | 2 août 2017

A few things:
The long range 3 has the lowest cost per mile of any EV including the base model.
Of course someone with a Bolt won't pay for a bigger battery--it's s city car.
The extended range battery:
Charges faster 170 vs 130 miles in 30 minutes.
Is quicker, 5.1 vs 5.6 seconds to 60.
Has a better warranty, 120 vs 100k miles.
Will always have a higher value in the future when it comes time to sell.

The ignorance abounds.

SUN 2 DRV | 2 août 2017

Yes, what BH said.

I'd add that it's a bargain if you need it, and it's an expensive paperweight if you don't.

You're not likely to need it on a daily basis, so the key question is how far off the supercharger highway will your road trips take you?

henry.lee.jr | 2 août 2017

This of course depends on your driving habits. My commute each day is about 15 miles each way. On the weekends I might drive 100 miles the entire weekend. If one of my kids has a soccer tournament an hour away, I may be looking at 150 to 200 miles in a day. If I drive to visit my inlaws, they are a few hours away at 125 miles. So that's doable in a day, but I would have to charge overnight somewhere, or on the way back.

Thing is, I am a father of 3, and our other car is a 7 passenger SUV for the family. The model 3 says "fits up t 5", but I am eyeing that middle rear seat suspiciously. I have a feeling it's not for a family of 5 to drive more an 30 minutes in, but I will wait for the test drive to decide.

In the end, most people have no need for the extra 100 miles. Unless their normal daily commute is over 200 miles (poor soul), or they regularly need to travel that far for business reasons.

What irks me is that I already have to wait forever for the AWD option in the northeast as it is (Dec 2018? Terrible!) ... punished really for where I live and what I need in a car, despite being an early deposit person.

Bighorn | 2 août 2017

@henry
The reviews made the back seat sound more spacious than a Model S and suitable for 3 adults. Should be fine for 3 rugrats assuming they get along.

Darkon | 2 août 2017

Bighorn:

"The extended range battery: Charges faster 170 vs 130 miles in 30 minutes."

On long drives with stops as Super Chargers, that's actually pretty significant...IF you will be doing a meaningful amount of long-distance driving. But if I just need to charge up a extra 50 miles to get home, it is less than a 3 minute difference.

"Is quicker, 5.1 vs 5.6 seconds to 60."

While it's nice to have the extra speed and it does provide some bragging rights, that isn't something I'll actually be able to use very often in the city due to traffic on the freeway (and accelerating at that rate on city streets would get me a ticket). Don't get me wrong, I love the acceleration, but it's not in the top 3 reasons I'm buying the M3.

"Has a better warranty, 120 vs 100k miles."

That is worth something for sure since it's probably about an extra 1-1.5 years on the warranty for most people. But how much is that actually worth? $250? $500? $1,000? Difficult to say, but possibly not a major factor in the decision.

"Will always have a higher value in the future when it comes time to sell."

Yes, but how much higher value? Will that $9K cost depreciate faster or slower than the cost of the rest of the car? We can't really know for sure at this point, but my expectation is that it will depreciate at the same rate or slower than the rest of the car since, over the next 2 -3 years, the larger battery will possibly become the entry-level battery.

OR, as more people start driving EV's, they may find that the 220 mile battery is more than adequate for their needs and it simply isn't worth spending more (whether it is $9K more or even $4K more) on a 310 mile battery.

As battery costs drop, keeping a lower-end (220 mile) battery option around would allow Tesla to lower the price of the low-end M3 even further if the competition on the low end heats up. But I think we are at least 2-4 years from that happening...or at least until Tesla no longer has a backlog of preorders.

For me, the "obviousness" of the decision depends a lot of my financial situation.

$35K (pre tax credit) is a pretty straightforward purchase.

$45-50K (for Premium interior and EAP) is getting into the "pretty expensive for a car" range for me, but I can justify it since those are things I'll really appreciate and use on a regular basis,

$55-60K (for nearly all options) would be the cost expensive car I've ever purchased and makes me really take a close look at whether this is really a sound financial purchase (for me).

It might be a no-brainer for you given your situation (not that you used those words), but it clearly isn't for everyone (including myself).

But I AM looking for as much information as I can find that will help me justify the battery upgrade, if only so I can get my M3 ASAP, so thanks for sharing your thoughts ;-)

Bighorn | 2 août 2017

@Darkon
I am by no means arguing that the larger battery is the best choice for everyone. If I didn't live in WY where things are so spread out, I might opt for the smaller battery. I'm not trying to come across as Marie Antoinette either with a let them eat cake attitude. I was simply trying to counteract some of the FUD spewed by some. Bottom line, 9k is a very fair price.

Pages