Forums

Measure key card dimensions?

Measure key card dimensions?

We would like to know the dimensions of the entry card so we can order a clear sleeve with hole punched for lanyard. Thank you!

maslowb | 30 janvier 2018

Pretty much same size as a credit card.

phil | 30 janvier 2018

Except much thicker?

lilbean | 30 janvier 2018

I heard it’s thinner, like a hotel card key.

sbeggs | 31 janvier 2018

Anyone willing to provide an exact, not anecdotal, measurement?

andy.connor.e | 31 janvier 2018

About pretty much close to the exact probability that it has a somewhat nearly identical appearance similar to that of a relatively equal if not analogous comparison to that of a credit card.

rebellion787 | 31 janvier 2018

~

maslowb | 31 janvier 2018

Hotel key size/thickness is extremely accurate.

nnphan | 31 janvier 2018

3 and 3/8 X 2 and 1/8 inches. Similar thickness as a credit card.

sbeggs | 31 janvier 2018

@nnphan,

Ah! Appreciate your taking the time to measure. Thank you!

rxlawdude | 31 janvier 2018

Ok, this is for trivia buffs: "thin on one end, much much thicker in the middle, then thin again on the other end." Who said it, and what was it describing. :-)

MTTPA | 31 janvier 2018

John Cleese. Brontosaurus.

Yes, I'm old.

lilbean | 31 janvier 2018

The size of credit cards is 85.60 × 53.98 mm (3.370 ×2.125 in) and rounded corners with a radius of 2.88–3.48 mm, in accordance with ISO/IEC 7810#ID-1, the same size as ATM cards and other payment cards, such as debit cards. All card sizes have a thickness of 0.76 mm (1/32 in).

I suppose the key card is a teeny bit thinner than this.

sbeggs | 31 janvier 2018

Thanks, @lilbean!

lilbean | 31 janvier 2018

You’re welcome, @sbeggs! :o)

phil | 31 janvier 2018

Yes, thank you. This is pretty cool - it sounds like the key just goes into my wallet.

@MTTPA, winner! An obscure reference only a Python fan would catch.

@MTTPA, but actually, it was Anne Elk who said it. Not an elk.

jordanrichard | 31 janvier 2018

Are you planning on wearing your valet key this around your neck?

sbeggs | 31 janvier 2018

@jordanrichard,

Yes. We have our Model S fobs on blue or red lanyards which we wear when driving the T.

I don't have a smart phone, and don't carry a purse but find wearing a key on a lanyard to be a great solution to avoid misplacing it or, for example, leaving the key or phone in the car inadvertently.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 1 février 2018

sbeggs: I had intended to use a lanyard to wear the Model 3 fob as a Medallion wherever I went before learning of the 'smartphone as fob' phenomenon. I may end up using one of those arm-band thingies instead for the card.

Rutrow | 1 février 2018

I'm SERIOUSLY considering an RFID implant. Can the Model 3 be programmed for 3rd party RFID tags?

Shock | 1 février 2018

Best idea I've seen is to just slip it in the back of your phone case. Now you have a way to actually open the car and get it to work without fiddling around with some ridiculous app on your phone.

phil | 1 février 2018

Shock | February 1, 2018 "Best idea I've seen is to just slip it in the back of your phone case."

Why is that better than putting it in your pocket or wallet?

Shock | 1 février 2018

"Why is that better than putting it in your pocket or wallet?"

Well if you're like many people the damn thing is in your hands most of the time anyway, and then this way since the car doesn't have XM radio anyway and you'll have to stream it over your phone, you can just use the phone to start the car via the keycard-in-the-case before you load up XM.

Notice my little passive aggressive jab about no XM there, I'm proud of that.