Forums

Distance to 0-60 miles/h

Distance to 0-60 miles/h

Does anybody have the distance travelled during 0-60 miles/hour acceleration of various cars?
Even though the P85 is quick in something like 3.9 secs I would assume that this is even more amazing when looking at the distance it takes to reach the 60 miles per hour speed.

I would think that the Tesla would still be ahead of cars with a quicker 0-60 speed in most cases. So off the line the MS is harder to beat than one thinks.

jbunn | 13 août 2013

I agree. If you look at some of the drag race videos, the Tesla is way out in front from the line until the end of the quarter mile where the other car starts to catch up.

From stoplight to stoplight, or in a passing maneuver, you're the quickest thing on the road.

Unfortunately, I don't have the calculus to give you a precise answer.

Sanjuro | 13 août 2013

Using basic kinematics, s = (V-V0) * t / 2

where V=88 ft/s, V0 = 0, t = 3.9 and the answer is 171.6 ft.

DTsea | 13 août 2013

its actually (v-v0)*t not t/2.

for a 60 at 5.2 s it's about 225 feet.

Sanjuro | 13 août 2013

My mistake, the formula is actually s = 1/2 (V0 + V) t, not (V - V0), but the answer is the same, 171.6 ft. For the S60, it's 228.8 ft.

See here. It's been a long time since high school physics.

jbunn | 13 août 2013

That is just amazing performance. My understanding is the S can go 0 to 60 and back to 0 in the length of a football field. Simply amazing.

jat | 13 août 2013

@Sanjuro,DTsea - That assumes constant acceleration, which is unlikely to be the case (though more likely than an ICE, which has torque following RPM until about 3/4 of the way to readline).

toby_wan_kenoby | 14 août 2013

@Sanjuro
you are corect on steady acceleration (as jat correctly stated).
But I guess it is the area under the craph of speed and time. School has been a while but was that not called integration?

No idea how to calculate that, but again I think that we would find that even a super sports car with a faster than 3.9s 0-60 would be behind the P85.

meabru | 15 Janvier 2019

I can't let it go... The above solution assumed constant velocity.. for an accelerating body the correct equation for distance is 1/2 At^2. Currently the ludicous mode does 2.3s 0-60. That's 10.9 m/s^2. FYI... Gravity is 9.8! If it where an rocket it could go straight up. So the real equation... 0.5 * 10.9 * 2.3^2 = 28.8m or 94.4'. It's short, real short.

meabru | 15 Janvier 2019

Sorry I fat findered the time. It's 2.8s. That makes it 39.9m or 130'

mbrookes | 14 juin 2019

It’s not so straight forward you’d have to look at the acceleration band of the specific car vs the Tesla for example both cars achieve 0-60 in 3 seconds and for the first second your EV accelerated to 30 miles per hour and the ice 20 , the second second the EV is at 50 and the ice 45 then the 3rd second both at 60 then on paper both are 0-60 3 second cars but distance wise the EV would have travelled further rather than 0-60 times you should look at individual acceleration curve graphs for your cars respectively which in the case of the instant torque an EV should always beat a ice car with a similar 0-60 time over distance.

Tropopause | 14 juin 2019

Whichever car pulls the most G’s overall to 60mph wins.