Forums

$35,000 Model "possibly" available in 2 months?

$35,000 Model "possibly" available in 2 months?

Many have wondered if Tesla will actually release a $35,000 version of the car. Per this article, it "might" come in a couple of months. We all know how Elon's timeline goes, but nice to see that there's some news indicating it's on the horizon rather than just the vague "late 2018" statements earlier.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-hints-35-000-model-205604195.html

ebmcs03 | 2 mai 2018

Fat chance. What does yahoo know.

ebmcs03 | 2 mai 2018

In two months Tesla will start Dual motor and white interior.

jordanrichard | 2 mai 2018

I listened to the earnings call and I don’t recall hearing anything about them possibly offering the base version, once they reach 5,000. I also just looked over the earnings letter and there is no mention of it there either.

jamilworm | 2 mai 2018

In the press release earlier today it says:

"We continue to target Model 3 production of approximately 5,000 per week in about two months"

and then

"After achieving a production rate of 5,000 per week, we will begin offering new options such as all-wheel-drive and the base model with a standard-sized battery pack."

But it doesn't say how long after the rate is achieved they will start offering those options, even though it sounds like they are saying right away.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/6162077691x0x979026/4...

jefjes | 2 mai 2018

@jordanrichard- It is in the letter page one, 4th paragraph, the last sentence reads "After achieving a production rate of 5,000 per week, we will begin offering new options such as all-wheel-drive and the base model with a standard-sized battery pack.".

jefjes | 2 mai 2018

jamilworm beat me to it...lol.

jjaroundtheclock | 3 mai 2018

i think $35,000 version will arrive at 2019 model year and may start around winter 18

wiboater4 | 3 mai 2018

Elon Musk said probably July for AWD so probably the $35,000 car then also . Remember though he said "probably July" in the CBS interview.

Steven.haver | 3 mai 2018

Yes, they did mention the standard battery pack but we didn’t get any update about a non-PUP interior. So while it’s possible that a $41,000 version is coming soon after they reach 5k/w, I don’t expect a $36,000 version until September or later. ($36k because I want something other than black).

Sgwebb.us | 3 mai 2018

I was holding out because I wanted AWD with PUP, and the standard battery pack. I do not typically drive very far, and being in Colorado, it can be in the 70s one day and a blizzard the next, so AWD was desirable to me. However, I have little faith that the combo will come while the full tax credit is in place. So I watched a few videos how the RWD handles in the snow, and I was pretty impressed, so I put my order in for the long range pack.

burdogg | 3 mai 2018

Steven.haver - please re-read the statement - here I will put it right here for you:
"offering new options such as all-wheel-drive and the base model with a standard-sized battery pack.".

BASE MODEL WITH a Standard-size battery pack.

Not JUST a standard size battery pack - BUT a BASE model that HAS a standard-sized battery pack.

Sure you can twist that but base means base to me, which means no other options added (like PUP)

burdogg | 3 mai 2018

But I will agree - it is not very specific in WHEN after the 5,000 per week is reached that they will offer these. Is is after they have proven a constant 5,000 per week, which may take 1-2 months? That would be my guess. They want to be cranking these versions out at a nice clip for a time before they start adding new things in...

SamO | 3 mai 2018

I saw the Sign . . .more cow-base

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqu132vTl5Y

Thanks Burdogg, I didn’t mean to sound like a troll! I had read the release and listened to the entire call and it seems to me that there’s going to be so much demand for AWD and the other interiors when they are released that it will take a couple months to clear that backlog. Like you said, one thing at a time. I know it’s coming and I’ll be delighted when it does. :-)

jordanrichard | 3 mai 2018

Are there people here, in states that get no snow, wanting/waiting for the AWD version? It just seems to me that only "snow states" would want the AWD version.

jefjes | 3 mai 2018

The avid winter sports enthusiasts that may not live where it snows but drive there to play could be some of the AWD holdouts. Just traversing mountain passes in the winter without requiring chains can be a plus also. Like between Fremont and Giga 1...;-)

chickensworth | 3 mai 2018

@jordanrichard-
I live in the desert with very little precipitation of any kind... holding out for AWD in hopes that Ludicrous will be available at the same time. i suspect there are others waiting for AWD in hopes for higher performance.

krissu | 3 mai 2018

With 450 000 deposits and increasing losses they have no reason to launch cheaper version a day earlier than the remaining deposits are lower than a month production capacity. Was in factory tour end last week. S/X line was running smooth, round every 90 seconds came a car off the line. Like every fourth car on line was for chinese market. M3 line was standing still, piles of body parts, batteries round the line, nobody next to line. Maybe they were doing something on the line where tours do not go.

@jordanrichard
I think a lot of people want to know what the specs will be. Once they’re announced a lot of people will probably just buy the RWD but there are many people in warm climates who want to know about the suspension, the ground clearance, the efficiency, the effect of regen, etc. I personally have 0 interest in more performance but all of those other factors are important to me. I don’t plan to get sucked into AWD but if Tesla makes it hard to say no, I will surely crumble. :-)

wiboater4 | 4 mai 2018

Bump