Forums

Red & White now $1500 upgrades?

Red & White now $1500 upgrades?

Was configuring this morning and was surprised to see the price increase on red/white to $1500 instead of the previous $1000 upgrade fee.

AJPHL | 29 juin 2018

Someone posted that Tesla said they’ve had to change the formulations for those specific colors to improve the longevity of the finish.

Dhlai26 | 29 juin 2018

Ugh 500 more? Greedy much?

deezeela | 29 juin 2018

My wife insists to have white, so I have to pay 500 more.

Cclcal | 29 juin 2018

yeah, not too happy about that. Just a few days ago before the performance model came out it was 1000$, now 1500$

Babydriver | 29 juin 2018

My issue is that I reserved just a few hours after some (and this was because I received a server error when I tried to reserve during the reveal on 3/31/16). Because of those few hours of delay, for exactly the same car, I am going to have to pay $500 more. Ugh!

ebmcs03 | 29 juin 2018

They changed the paint mix someone said. So you’re getting better paint for $500

Phtp | 29 juin 2018

Was always told by store reps they use the same paint as Model S and X. So did they really change the formula?

billlake2000 | 29 juin 2018

Or, conversely, and not to be a negative Nellie here, but is the "old white" sorta kinda defective?

weluvm3 | 29 juin 2018

@billlake2000 "Or, conversely, and not to be a negative Nellie here, but is the "old white" sorta kinda defective?"

Yeah, I was just wondering the same thing about my own Red Model 3's paint job. Sorry to hear that Tesla now considers it to be depreciated.

And, yes, I was also told by several Tesla employees that it was the "Same Red" as Model S. So...does this mean that Model S' Red was/is also inferior in some respect?

Magic 8 Ball | 29 juin 2018

There is no reason to say an old formulation is defective in some way.

New formulations happen for many reasons (EPA requirements, faster drying time, easier to apply, etc.)

weluvm3 | 29 juin 2018

@douwe "There is no reason to say an old formulation is defective in some way."

Yes, there is a reason:

@AJPHL "Someone posted that Tesla said they’ve had to change the formulations for those specific colors to improve the longevity of the finish."

Is that the same "someone" who said TESLA would be out of business by now?

weluvm3 | 29 juin 2018

@douwe "Is that the same "someone" who said TESLA would be out of business by now?"

I'm not sure what else was posted and by whom. Perhaps AJPHL knows?

weluvm3 | 29 juin 2018

"AMAZEU | 27 June, 2018
I called Tesla customer service about the price increase. They told me there was a reformulation of the red and white paint. It was necessary for two reasons. Testing indicated that the original formulation woul deteriorate in 5-7 years. They also said that the new formulation would assure all parts of the car would remain the same color over time and provide a deeper luster. Seems to be well worth the extra bucks."

https://forums.tesla.com/en_AU/node/120653

I did a search, and didn't find any posts by AMAZEU claiming that TESLA would be out of business now. Did he/she say this and, if so, when/where?

So this is second hand information from a stranger on the internet. Yeah, go with that.

weluvm3 | 29 juin 2018

As is everything else posted in this forum. Including your posts.

Hey you are catching on.

weluvm3 | 29 juin 2018

But I find @AMAZEU post more believable than yours.

At least he states that he attempted to contact Tesla and get some first hand information. I have no reason to doubt him/her and I respect the effort it took to call Tesla and ask.

Whereas all you are apparently doing is throwing shade on posts that you don't like, without having done any research or investigation of your own to back up your skepticism.

Go with it.

I just don't see how it would make any sense that a TESLA employee would share information about old formulation failing early. Do you think that type of information would cast "shade" on TESLA?

HWF | 29 juin 2018

Interestingly, I configured an AWD Model 3 with red paint on June 1. The price shown was $60,000. Now it's $59,000. So I think that means the new price reflects the $1000 reduction in the AWD and no change to the red paint price.

weluvm3 | 29 juin 2018

@douwe If you want to "real truth" then ask Tesla and post what they say. For now I, for one, find AMAZEU's post highly plausible.

@HWF Yes, they said they would retroactively apply the price reduction. But, presumably, you will still get the upgraded paint (but it wouldn't hurt to ask just to be sure.)

Good then his FUD worked on you. Good to know.

weluvm3 | 29 juin 2018

Or, maybe, you haven't tried to ask Tesla yourself because you are afraid to learn that what he posted was accurate? It seems to me that this is the most likely explanation at this point.

No I have not asked because I don't think a phone rep would have access to any details of why the formulation was changed. Where is the internal memo that was shared with the reps that says the old paint was bad.

Use your head man.

weluvm3 | 29 juin 2018

@douwe "No I have not asked because I don't think a phone rep would have access to any details of why the formulation was changed."

It makes sense that reps would have been briefed about the price increase or other configuration changes, so that they can respond to predicable inquiries.

Kudos to Tesla that this rep was able to intelligently answer AMAZEU's question.

Kudos to AMAZEU for sharing the information with the rest of us.

It make no sense the reps would be given details as to why the change was made, especially details that would be taken as a negative.

That would be a liability no one needs.

weluvm3 | 29 juin 2018

@douwe "It make no sense the reps would be given details as to why the change was made, especially details that would be taken as a negative."

Are you suggesting that Tesla would intentionally try to hide any negative information from their reps, so that their customers could be kept in the dark? OK, so who's the one throwing shade on Tesla, now?

I am confident that Tesla is not doing what you suggest. Which is why I find AMAZEU's post plausible and I appreciate that he took the time to call Tesla and share what he was told with the rest of us.

Show us the memo, otherwise it is just hear say.

What I am suggesting is that you are spreading FUD without evidence and that there is no negative information about the paint to begin with, except for the FUD that you spreading.

weluvm3 | 29 juin 2018

"What I am suggesting is that you are spreading FUD without evidence and that there is no negative information about the paint to begin with, except for the FUD that you spreading."

I didn't speak to Tesla about this and, apparently, neither did you. But someone has, and he has posted what Tesla told him. If you doubt what this person has written, pick up the phone and prove him wrong. Name calling doesn't prove anything.

You think someone has and you think TESLA told him but you have no proof.

All you have is hearsay FUD and you are swallowing it hook line and sinker.

weluvm3 | 29 juin 2018

@douwe And you have no proof that he hasn't. So, your post is just conjecture and you have no basis for name calling. Again, I find his post more plausible than yours, in part because of the relatively more respectful tone of his posts.

Good for you.

Congratulations on being the "nice guys" tool to spread hearsay FUD.

JustSaying | 29 juin 2018

They raised the price by $500 because they are great colors (we have white and it looks perfect especially in the sun) and by now Tesla has determined the demand for these colors and underlying incremental costs,
I would call it marketing 101?

Shock | 29 juin 2018

I've read so much hearsay and conflicting accounts that I am of the belief the Tesla reps know nothing at all, whatsoever, about anything.

Maybe it was reformulated. But most likely? Tesla is just asking $500 more because.

@Shock

Have you talked to a rep yourself? I don't think the hearsay and conflicting accounts are necessarily coming from the reps. A rep would be foolish, and probably put their job in jeopardy, if share details about anything that is not already in the public record.

Dhlai26 | 30 juin 2018

Definitely think these are the two most popular colors of this car so they are just trying to milk it.

wiboater4 | 30 juin 2018

Dhlai26 | See the other post on cool info on paints etc. . It explains why the multi coat paints cost more to do and they probably take more time because it is more coats.

Mayfieldbrad | 3 août 2018

Just jumped to $2000.00