Forums

*IDEA* Solar Conducive Fiber Filament

*IDEA* Solar Conducive Fiber Filament

Why not integrate solar charging into the body on Teslas? It could cover most of the car and for people who drive long distances to work especially in California but don't have EV charging station or a socket could just park at the top of a structure. It could be colored too since they're threads so no need for paint or anything I'm assuming. I have no idea how that works but an idea for you guys to work on or talk about.

DTsea | 19 août 2018

thats.....not.....a......real.....thing

and if it were, cars are still too small to generate useful amounts of power from solar

anthony.damiani | 19 août 2018

Maybe for a cargo can that could have the whole top solar for camping, it can be a real thing ;-;

DTsea | 19 août 2018

you misunderstand. there is no such thing as a 'solar conducive fiber filament.'

TeslaTap.com | 20 août 2018

Solar on a car makes little sense. Basically with the best solar tech today, it still is about a 110 year payback. Makes little economic sense, and would only provide about 2 miles of range if in the sun for the entire day. Far better to install solar on a house, where they can be optimized for the best electrical production.

For more on solar car roofs: https://teslatap.com/articles/solar-vehicle-roof-analysis/

I also agree with DTsea - solar conducive fiber filament doesn't exist and even if it did, I can't see it being suitable for the exterior of a car - dealing with ice, rain, dirt, birt crap, high temperatures and more. Automotive exterior suffer a lot of abuse and covering it with any kind of fabric sounds like a really bad idea.

Remnant | 21 août 2018

@TeslaTap.com (August 20, 2018)

<< solar conducive fiber filament doesn't exist and even if it did, I can't see it being suitable for the exterior of a car >>

However, molecular thickness PV perovskite layers have been created, with efficiencies exceeding 20%.

It is conceivable that tech could be created to cover vehicles with a PV film able to keep their interior cool in torrid environments.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/348/6240/1234

ulrichard | 21 août 2018

I keep hearing that putting solar panels on cars makes no sense, yet a German startup is about to launch a car that is covered with solar panels that can charge up to 30km of range on a sunny day.
Sure it doesn't look nice because it has to have all those flat surfaces, but the concept is cool nonetheless.
It doesn't cover the full energy needs for regular use, but might be enough for some. Or you can go camping in the backcountry and have a full battery after a week.
https://sonomotors.com/en

TeslaTap.com | 21 août 2018

There have been a number of solar cars made in the past, but so far they have been one-off experiments, usually super lightweight with no room for cargo or passengers, zero safety equipment, designed only for a small person, low friction bicycle tires, minimal suspension (i..e very bumpy) and no infotainment systems. Then there is the ugly factor, and lack of any protection on the cells (to save weight) such that the cells are easily damaged.

So it can be done, but not in a practical vehicle that is legal on roads in the USA so far. Using a small solar array to run a fan has been done in quite a few cars, but the power to operate a fan is a tiny fraction of that required to power the entire car.

The German product is interesting. I wonder if they will come close to meeting the 30km goal (18 miles) and what limitations it has. My calculations used the roof of the Model S and the power required to run the Model S. The German car appears to use the hood, roof and trunk - perhaps twice the area. Then if they make the car very lightweight, restrict the speed to 30 mph, and use a tiny motor, it might get 18 miles of range, but that still seems very optimistic. I hope they succeed, but I suspect in normal use, it will fall far less than that 18 mile range. I didn't see any price listed either, so the cost may be unattractive once they are made available.

ulrichard | 21 août 2018

The price for the Sion is EUR 16k plus 4k for the battery.
The doors are also covered with solar panels.
Sure the 30km are under ideal conditions, from the charging aspect. But I don't think that is with reduced speed.
I don't know the max speed, but it is in the practical highway speed range >120km/h.
Four people can sit, and it has a smallish trunk. It has 80 kw power output, weights 750 kg and has a rated range of 250 km. It has a trailer hinge and an inverter to provide electricity to appliances or other cars.
The initial plan was to deliver in mid 2017, at the moment it is projected for mid 2019 as far as I know.

Remnant | 22 août 2018

@TeslaTap.com (August 21, 2018)

<< Then there is the ugly factor, and lack of any protection on the cells (to save weight) such that the cells are easily damaged. >>

Solo Motors' Polycarbonate shield seema to address both of these concerns.

https://sonomotors.com/sion.html/

TeslaTap.com | 22 août 2018

I know Toyota tried to make a solar roof for a hybrid car, but it didn't meet US crash standards and it was never sold here. I understand it is sold in other countries that have lower standards. Not sure of the details or if Toyota can fix the issue. Fisker did have a solar roof that met crash standards, so it can be done.

Polycarbonate is not ideal for a vehicle exterior as it scratches easily, is difficult to polish out those scratches and it yellows under UV. Some headlights use polycarbonate, and it looks really bad after 8-10 years. It does have great impact resistance. It will be interesting how they solve some of these issues and if they can actually bring the vehicle to market. I'd love to be wrong, but I have some doubts it can become a viable product. Have to give them credit for trying - as that's the only way you find out the limitations and possible solutions.

asadmirza234234 | 24 août 2019

Since then, the technology has matured and solar cell energy efficiency increased, despite a string of spectacular bankruptcies of solar startups due to a combination of overcapacity, price pressure, changing tax subsidies and credits, bad timing and/or bad luck. The past two years have seen a surge in industry growth and, importantly, solar installations.
http://yandcconstruction.com/ac-installation/