Forums

New 2018. Model S 75D - charged it 100% on the first night home to check the range

New 2018. Model S 75D - charged it 100% on the first night home to check the range

Even though it was supposed to get to 259, my car only reached 251 ? Am I starting out with 8 miles less range than I should be ? Or will this change over time ? New to this and wanted to ask the experts. I do realize that you should not trip charge to full capacity any more than you may have to. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Bighorn | 22 septembre 2018
Mi75d | 22 septembre 2018

You’re fine. My MS75d is a year old, 17,000 miles. My 100% charge was mid-250s, now gives me about 244 miles: if you start from about 259, that’s about 5-6% “degradation”, which has been steady for the last six months. Based on other owner comments, this is typical.

Always remember that Your Mileage WILL Vary - just like in an ICE car - because HOW you drive makes all the difference. I saw somewhere a table of Tesla mileage for different models at different speeds. For our car, if you drive on the highway at 70 mph, you’ll get about 235 miles. If you drive at 80 mph, you’ll get about 190 miles of range.

So, if you drive it like you stole it (and why shouldn’t you - it’s a Tesla Model S!), you’ll never get 259 miles on a full charge anyway. If you want to reassure yourself about distance driving, you could drive at 26 miles per hour, which gets you about 550 miles of distance!

RedJ | 22 septembre 2018

It’s possible that your rated range will go up as your car calibrates. As I understand it, if you run your battery low (say~10%) and the charge it up to 100% then the car has a much better estimate of its true capacity. Also keep in mind that if you charged to 100% overnight it’s largely been sitting for a number of hours by the time you check it in the morning and you could have lost a couple of miles of range to phantom drain. This drain happens even if the car is still plugged in as the car stops drawing power to maintain 100% charge. If the level drops enough, say if you leave your car for multiple days, it will recharge.

In any case, just try not to leave your car sitting charged at 100% or below 20% for longer than you have to. This is supposed to be bad for the battery if done frequently.

Congrats on your new ride. Enjoy!

Earl and Nagin ... | 22 septembre 2018

3% off is as good or better than one can estimate the capacity of a Li-ion battery. It will vary over other factors such as temperature, calibration, cell balance, load, etc. (or expected/historical values of these) at least that much.
If it came up with 220 miles, the OP might want to be concerned.
I recommend that the OP go out and test the real 0-60 times and take a road trip using a few Superchargers. Not that these matter or can be measured precisely either but they are fun!

ralphmaffie | 22 septembre 2018

Very helpful. Thanks

Stevenneiljones | 20 novembre 2019

I have a model s 75d 2017 it only charges to 13A I’ve been told it goes to 24A does any body else has same problem

TeslaTap.com | 20 novembre 2019

@Stevenneiljones - Sounds like you're using a 120V outlet? It is limited to 13 amps. You need to use a 240v outlet to get a higher current. Your car supports up to 48 amps with the right connection and an HPWC. Up to 40 amps with a NEMA 14-50 connection or J1772.

If you are on a 240v connection, check if you limited the current in the car. You can set the limit and it remembers it for that location (i.e. home). It will not let you set a limit higher than the connection allows.

Here's a lot more details if you're interested: https://teslatap.com/articles/home-charging-wiring-guide/