Forums

Bluetooth issue- What to expect

Bluetooth issue- What to expect

I had my model 3 delivered to my home last week. I absolutely love the car. Lots of fun to drive. I had one important issue which was the Bluetooth for cell phone calls. The Bluetooth icon kept turning on and off. Of course, the cell phone conversation would start and stop. I called Tesla support and they asked me a series of questions and decided I need to bring it in to the service center. My appointment is for Monday (2 days from now). Three questions:

1) Has this happened to anyone else?
2) Was it difficult to fix?
3) If they have to keep the car, do I get a loaner?

cafutter | 4 novembre 2018

bump

garretn | 4 novembre 2018

Have not experienced this kind of behavior. I'm just going to throw this out here but have you tried rebooting the system? Hold down both steering wheel knobs for a few seconds. Weird behaviors can sometimes be fixed this way.

cnsf | 4 novembre 2018

Does the bluetooth do this with other phones or just the one you connected? Try and narrow down to whether it is a connection to one device issue or to many. If many, bring it in for service. If just one, check the settings on your phone (or maybe you have a phone that doesn't have the right BT standard).

ILoveMyModel3 | 4 novembre 2018

Mine has done this since I took delivery of the car on September, 29, 2018. I just turn the recent calls and contacts options off. However, I would like to take it in to be fixed because there's clearly an issues.

cafutter | 4 novembre 2018

I did pair my wife's I-phone 6S and my son's LG G6. They paired nicely and work well, So what is it about my phone which doesn't work well?

derotam | 4 novembre 2018

Sounds like it isnt a problem with the car, just your phone. People see these issues will all car manufacturers....not all phones work with all cars bluetooth correctly...not much rhyme or reason. Bluetooth implementation isnt very even across devices.

cnsf | 4 novembre 2018

What kind of phone is it and what version of the OS? I had an iPhone 6 that also acted goofy with the car. I finally sucked it up and got a new phone. No connectivity issues with Bluetooth since.

cafutter | 6 novembre 2018

Samsung Galaxy Note 8. It pairs with other things beautifully. It pairs with the Tesla nicely but the Bluetooth keeps turning off and on. I also have a Samsung S2 watch. I turned the watch off and uninstalled it from my phone to see that it an issue. It is not. The Tesla service center downloaded the logs to see if they can divine what the problem is. I hope it is not my phone. Otherwise, I love my car.

nicktford | 6 novembre 2018

I have the same issue - the bluetooth stack on the Tesla constantly restarts. I have a Pixel 3 but had the same issue with an HTC 10. My wife's iPhone doesn't have the issue.

The quick fix is to turn off share contacts on either the phone or car, but that means all calls come through as numbers. It's a PITA

alisse | 7 novembre 2018

When I had disabled media playback for the Tesla in the BT settings on my phone, the connection would keep dropping out and back in again. After I set it back to defaults, no problem. Might be worth checking/repairing the connection.

adam | 23 mai 2019

I have a One Plus 6T and my phone was working fine for the first 6 months of ownership. Three weeks ago on May 4th my Autopilot stopped working along with Bluetooth. A phone call to support fixed the AP issue but the Bluetooth issue is lingering. Symptoms include: Call connects fine but there is no audio through the vehicle send/recv, i am also getting a funky digital crackle sound while calls connect and disconnect. I have tried re-pairing, calling support a second time, and the issue persists. Anybody have any similar issues?

martinshopping | 24 mai 2019

As a former mobile technology blogger/reporter I can say this is a very familiar, very old song. Since the days we first started connecting our smartphones to cars via Bluetooth there have always been some that were just not getting along reliably.

There is some very good advice above (re-booting all systems, narrowing down to device type or specific device etc). I addition though, the following general rules apply:

If you depend on your car - phone interface to behave reliably an predictably - use an iPhone. Their systems are the most stable and standardized which makes the interface with the car similarly stable. The only time this rule doesn't apply is when major new BT standards roll out. Apple is Sloooowww to update their systems to comply. Ecosystem fragmentation is the lowest in the business which has a huge impact on predictable behavior.

Back in the glory days of Windows Mobile/Phone their systems were reliable and predictable, and MS updated the BT stacks to keep with the standards. However, car manufacturers rarely proffered compatibility, although it was usually pretty good, just a few features that might not have been supported.

Android has always been, and likely will remain, a hot mess. There are no real standards for the OS's built on this platform, and from Google's perspective, fragmentation is considered a "Feature - not a bug". System updates and adherence to BT standards is spotty and unreliable itself, so it's interface with your car will never be inherently stable.

Bottom line, if phone-car BT interface reliability and stability over time are a big concern, buy an iPhone. I hate to say it, but it's true.

montesdeoca | 29 juin 2019

I changed my iPhone and now I am experiencing the same problem.

nitin_raut | 8 juillet 2019

@garretn - Thanks for the awesome tip about rebooting!

George with SacEV | 9 juillet 2019

Anybody have Android 9.0 and then any problems with bluetooth connection for phone use? With my newest OnePlus 7 Pro running Android 9.0 (and my earlier 5T when it upgraded to 9.0), I don't have connectivity to the Tesla for bluetooth call functionality. I suspect this is just a glitch in the OnePlus corporate version of 9.0, but...anybody enjoying full connectivity with Android 9.0 using Samsung and other brands?

hokiegir1 | 9 juillet 2019

@George - My Pixel (OG) runs Android 9.0 and I haven't had issues at all.

simvin | 21 juillet 2019

I recently bought Model 3 (only 3 weeks) and am facing BT issue with my Samsung Galaxy 8+ phone. Randomly, there is no voice during calls, and also at times Music played via BT is choppy. I never had this issue with my phones with my BMW and Nissan Pathfinder. This certainly is an issue at Tesla end. My be they chose a cheaper BT component for this $50K car. They should fix this issue.

Else, I am loving it.

Lorenzryanc | 22 juillet 2019

Make sure you turn off battery save on your phone. That solved all my galaxy related voice issues. Let us know if it fixes yours

gmkellogg | 22 juillet 2019

I had trouble early on with my Pixel (OG with 9.0) and bluetooth, but it's been stable for the last few months. Seems to connect the first time and stays connected. In the beginning I would have to essentially unpair it and repair every time I wanted to used it. I haven't tried many phone calls, but I do stream music from time to time. I don't use the contacts integration because that's never worked for me.

lbudde | 24 juillet 2019

When I first got the car 6/18/19, my LG 40 thinQ phone connected by Bluetooth and I was able to make and receive calls.

The Tesla APP worked and is still working. However, starting on July 8, the phone stopped working in the car.

It was connected and I could make and receive calls, however, the caller could not hear me and I could not hear them.

The icon for the phone appeared on the left side of the screen on the dashboard.

I called LG, who did some troubleshooting and said that there was no problem with the phone and that it should connect.

The phone was and still is connected to my wife’s 2015 car and my son’s car that’s about 10 years old.

It did not work in another Tesla either.

LG also said it could be a compatibility issue based on the recent update of the phone OS to v 9 [pie]

I can’t disagree but that being the case why does the phone still work in non-Tesla vehicles?

Tesla has been unable to solve the problem.

Any ideas?

pdamski | 24 juillet 2019

I just experienced my first Bluetooth issue since Oct. 2018 purchase. iPhone X. The car suggested I restart the bluetooth functionality on my phone by turning Bluetooth off and back on again. Everything is functioning normally now. This was just after updating to 2019.24.4. Maybe useful?

Thrillion | 16 août 2019

I just noticed the "safety feature" that nearly ran me off the road.

Bluetooth will not pair or CONNECT while in Drive.

I tried my darnest to connect my phone for hands free calls while driving down the road with no luck.
Don't know why it didn't connect prior to putting it into drive as I it provided access to open and start the M3.

Anyway, as soon as I put it in Park it connected immediately.

Fair warning, if its not connected and you are in drive, don't try to connect until you are in park.

calvin940 | 16 août 2019

@nailsmails | August 16, 2019
I just noticed the "safety feature" that nearly ran me off the road.
--------------------------------------

So basically the car or feature didn't "nearly' run you off the road". YOUR OWN UNSAFE behaviour did that. Smooth move.

Next time, drive safely for all of our sakes.

Thrillion | 16 août 2019

Yes sorry for the alarm, was intended as sarcasm.

Indeed it was my own actions and frustration that reduced my attention to the road.
Had I known, though, that it wasn't possible to connect the phone while in drive, I would not have attempted.