Forums

Solar Panel Installation Date

Solar Panel Installation Date

Super excited to take a phone call last week from SolarCity saying my permits were all good and we could schedule the solar panel install. Dec 31st. Just in time to take credit for it on the 2018 tax season.

Mediumed | 10 décembre 2018

Nice! I'm still waiting on permits.I guess i'll be filing for 2019 tax break in 2020.

S75RedRidingHood | 11 décembre 2018

Wait, is it the installed date or the turning on date is counted?

PFP | 12 décembre 2018

It is the install date. Per the instructions for IRS Form 5695, "Costs. For purposes of both credits, costs are treated as being paid when the original installation of the item is completed, or, in the case of costs connected with the reconstruction of your home, when your original use of the reconstructed home begins"
So if you are just adding it to the home, it is the install date.
I was worried about this as I needed to get mine on before the end of the year to get the Utility Rebate. For them it is Install date as well.
Cant wait, Scheduled for DEC 19/20 for 15kw system with 2 PW

madd181920 | 17 décembre 2018

Quick update: Just got a text message from Tesla asking if I would like to move up the installation date to this Friday, a full 10 days early. YES PLEASE!

Really excited to get the installation complete, the inspections passed and system generating precious clean energy.

madd181920 | 8 Janvier 2019

Installed, inspected, turned on and using solar power baby!