Forums

Drop-Lock Arrived - Waste of Money!

Drop-Lock Arrived - Waste of Money!

I ordered a couple of the droplocks for the rear seats (https://getdroplock.com) and they arrived today. These things are idiotic! The "simple removal tool" that was promised to remove the locks? Get this: is it a little 12 inch roll of fishing line that you have to push through a tiny hole and fish out the other side in order pull them out. Imagine yourself trying to see the small fishing-line sized hole at night, trying not to lose the rolled up 12 inch length of string. Oh and this will completely deter thieves because not just anyone can get a 12" length of fishing line. Total waste of money.

Anyone want them? Half price. Two sets. 75% off? Anyone? Anyone?

Rt002k | 15 février 2019

Well all a thief had to do to get the tool anyway was buy one themselves - good marketing for the droplock people. If it's as difficult as you're saying with the line, that's a pretty good deterrent. They're not going to risk being seen by spending a bunch of time trying to fish a line through a tiny hole.

TexasBob | 15 février 2019

Let me be fair - for someone who wants to leave their seats locked 90% of the time and does not mind going through this quirky removal process, this can be a good deterrent. If you want to have fairly routine access to your trunk, it is not a good solution.

And I am serious about anyone wanting them for half price.

rkalbiarEV | 15 février 2019

Two sets, I’m interested.

All yours @rkalbiarEV - https://www.ebay.com/itm/192827769311

rkalbiarEV | 15 février 2019

Sold?

Sold. Not you? Someone else must have been lurking and swooped in. Sorry.

gcklo | 16 février 2019

I almost never roll down my seats so I don’t mind if it takes me and the thieves minutes to get it out

CST | 16 février 2019

But, do you fold down your windows?

rmlee | 16 février 2019

Can you pop them out from inside the trunk?

rmlee | 19 février 2019

Bueller?

oliver.ua | 14 avril 2019

Thanks to TexasBob for sharing how the drop lock works on a public forum. I believe the manufacturer requested this information not be shared unless we want everyone to know how to remove it. Granted it's not top secret information, but had this information remained private, a thief would not know how to remove it or what it would need to remove it unless it a) purchased a set themselves, or b) someone posted it on a public forum.

Again, I realize this is not a fail-safe solution, but it was a solution nonetheless, which was not being addressed by Tesla or anyone else at the time. I have a set and I have no problem with it. If I need to access the trunk I simply open the trunk. If you are constantly dropping the seat to store larger items, than yes, this product is probably not for you, nor would be the other product currently on the market.

TexasBob | 14 avril 2019

Give me a break @oliver.ua I did not reveal a secret. As the web site says (it used to say special tool but they updated it to be more honest in my view) "The removal is not proprietary nor a special tool. It is about the angle and the method of removal." So:
1) I did not reveal any secrets about the angle or method of removal
2) If these guys had a reasonable RETURN policy (ie any return policy) I would have just returned it and not posted anything. But since everyone who buys this is stuck with them no refunds, this post is completely warranted to give people who are buying it a fair heads up on what they are getting.
3) Your average thief is not trolling the Model 3 forums for secret information (which in any case I did not reveal).

TexasBob | 14 avril 2019

Give me a break @oliver.ua I did not reveal a secret. As the web site says (it used to say special tool but they updated it to be more honest in my view) "The removal is not proprietary nor a special tool. It is about the angle and the method of removal." So:
1) I did not reveal any secrets about the angle or method of removal
2) If these guys had a reasonable RETURN policy (ie any return policy) I would have just returned it and not posted anything. But since everyone who buys this is stuck with them no refunds, this post is completely warranted to give people who are buying it a fair heads up on what they are getting.
3) Your average thief is not trolling the Model 3 forums for secret information (which in any case I did not reveal).

jjgunn | 14 avril 2019

LOL

I'm just leaving my seats folded down.

geedub1023 | 14 avril 2019

If anyone is interested, I'm selling spare "simple removal tools" (i.e., 12 inches of string/fishing line) for this product. Get them now for $9.99 plus shipping.

Seriously, TexasBob I'm sorry you were so dissatisfied with it. Sounds like you need to post a Customer Review on their webpage.

TexasBob | 14 avril 2019

@geedub - I did. For some very strange, almost inexplicable reason, it has not shown up on their web site.

geedub1023 | 14 avril 2019

@TBob That's funny because before I posted my suggestion above, I looked at their Customer Reviews and didn't see one from you so that's why I posted it. Really inexplicable isn't it?

dmrossjr | 14 avril 2019

You might be interested in these. https://www.etsy.com/listing/680117217/one-pair-of-tesla-model-3-rear-se... Pretty clever. I ordered a pair. Be careful no to torque the nuts too tight. The plastic is rather soft. If the site is sold out just message the maker and he can make more.

Teslanene | 14 avril 2019

@dmrossjr this only works if you want to secure your trunk, but the thief is still going to break your window or am I missing something.

jjgunn | 14 avril 2019

Ding ding!! We have a winner!

Carl Thompson | 14 avril 2019

I wish I had read this thread before buying this product.

What bothers me is not that thieves can easily get string too. It's that trying the thread a string through a tiny hole is a pain in the butt for _me_.

Agreed. Not worth it.

rfalbo1 | 14 avril 2019

Looks to me like they'd be easily removed by just sticking a jewelers screwdriver in the hole and using it like a lever.

texxx | 14 avril 2019

Don't blame TexasBob. In the infosec business it's called security by obscurity. it doesn't work.

rmlee | 14 avril 2019

Smash and grab... goal is to be quick... do t expect a thief to be carrying a jewelers screw driver or a roll of dental floss... just saying. It’s a deterrent not the end all for smash and grabs.

ebmcs03 | 15 avril 2019

Tesla hasn’t added locks to these seats yet?

oliver.ua | 19 avril 2019

@TexasBob, I also find it very ironic that you promote one of the benefits of the drop lock while complaining about that very same benefit. "Imagine yourself trying to see the small fishing-line sized hole at night, trying not to lose the rolled up 12 inch length of string." And then you sarcastically state "Oh and this will completely deter thieves because not just anyone can get a 12" length of fishing line." Apparently, the thieves are much more capable of seeing the fishing-line sized hole at night than you. And I guess thieves will start carrying fishing line now. It appears that the drop lock has successfully deterred at least one person...

Sunergy-NJ | 19 avril 2019

In the "food stinks and such small portions" department, the drop locks do look and seem cheap, the tiny hole fishing line "tool" is ridiculous, and the "devices" themselves are really poorly made home 3d printer quality with rough lines and edges throughout. Not even going to bother installing. Lesson learned.

Haggy | 27 avril 2019

I have them. They work. I haven't needed to put the seats down since I got them, but if I did so regularly, it wouldn't be a good solution. They look cheap? How much time do you spend staring at that area?

Removal is a pain, but the whole point is that seats can be lowered in plenty of cars. In the Model 3, it can be done in seconds from the outside if the window is broken. If someone has to get into the car to lower the seats, just to find out if something is in the trunk, they have a disadvantage if they break into a Model 3. Model 3 was targeted because it was easier than others, and no longer is if you have these.

It might be good enough to put on the "seats locked" decals that come with this.

If Sentry Mode proves to be a deterrent, it might become a moot point.

bcb2220 | 27 avril 2019

i have yet to put this on even though i have mine brand new still in packaging. might be giving them away for slightly below retail and you pay for shipping if anyone's interested