Forums

$4 gas is nearly a reality for many Americans

Enjoying my car more and more every single day.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/09/business/gas-prices/index.html

Mike83 | 9 avril 2019

I haven't paid attention. It could be $20/gallon for all I care.

ken.lunde | 9 avril 2019

The last time we filled up our sole ICE vehicle was on January 29th. It's at about a quarter tank right now. It's nice to have our home ($0.75 per hour) and workplace (free) be our virtual gas stations.

billlake2000 | 9 avril 2019

For $4.00, a model 3 can go in the neighborhood somewhat north of 130 miles.

lbowroom | 9 avril 2019

Its over $4 in some areas

coleAK | 9 avril 2019

^^^. In Alaska in the winter I can go ~40 miles in my model 3 for $4 of electricity. I got on the roof yesterday and cleared off my solar panels so now in Alaska I can go until ~September on the cost of sun.

Also up here I haven’t seen gas <$3.50 a gallon in at least 5 years. I think CA is similar.

Mike83 | 9 avril 2019

Teslas are selling well in Europe with gas around $7/gallon I believe,

ALDONY | 9 avril 2019

Please note;

See the chart with world prices.

In Switzerland tesla just became the best selling car for march, period!

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

It's a no brainer for these countries to buy electric cars, 10 years and you basically paid the car in full

calvin940 | 9 avril 2019

Norway (Tesla top seller here), Netherlands, Denmark, Greece are around the $7 area, but the prices vary a lot across Europe. 99% of the regions listed are > $4 US/Gallon though

TAC | 9 avril 2019

And here we are sitting with jackass laws that prevent Tesla form even selling in certain states. One being Wisconsin where i live. Dealership mob / mafia protection if you ask me. Ohhh we will sell your cars, and protect them the dealers say. But you, tesla, is not allowed to sell them yourself. YOU GO THROUGH US.. its messed up.

gmr6415 | 10 avril 2019

That's one of the reasons for purchasing an electric car. Gas prices fluctuate constantly. At least in Florida utilities have to apply for and get approval for rate changes up or down. I don't know it's etched in stone, but since I moved here in 2002 it seems like they only apply to the Florida Public Service Commission annually for rate changes.

The utility that services us has been installing huge solar farms around the area and just reduced our rates by about $0.02 per kWh claiming they are producing power at a lower cost because of the solar farms.

gmr6415 | 10 avril 2019

I forgot to state that the application for rate changes in FL doesn't apply to small local utilities owned and maintained by municipalities, but they are far and few between.

PECo CT | 10 avril 2019

I filled up my gas-guzzling SUV for only $2.48 per gallon in New Jersey, yesterday.

Mike83 | 10 avril 2019

I should add that I love using Superchargers and getting some shopping or lunch done while traveling. Don't get oil on my shoes or have to breathe carcinogenic gas/diesel fumes. Of course while at home it is plugged in which saves a lot of time having to drive somewhere to get gas and drive back again. I have much more fun time.

andy.connor.e | 10 avril 2019

Capital district is nearing $3/gal. Its been under $2.50 for like 2 years.

hokiegir1 | 10 avril 2019

After 25k miles (hit over the weekend), we're still averaging 1.6 cents/mile (combined home and supercharging costs). So I could go about 250 miles on $4.

calvin940 | 10 avril 2019

Anything that is lower is typically because of subsidies and may remain cheaper in general but will go up if the general trend is that way. The anomalies are the lower prices, not the higher ones. It can go to $100 for all I care. The sooner the better so we can push the transportation industry over the edge to get rid of gas.

TranzNDance | 10 avril 2019

The lower prices are probably there to discourage EV adoption. Imagine if prices were as high as they were last decade?

gballant4570 | 10 avril 2019

I used to care about gas prices..... but I haven't bought any for months. I will have to buy some at some point, but that is not frequent enough to make me care about gas prices.
Beyond my own situation, higher gas prices will make more people look toward EV's, and increase demand both in the new car market and the used car market.

PECo CT | 10 avril 2019

@calvin

“Anything that is lower is typically because of subsidies and may remain cheaper in general but will go up if the general trend is that way. The anomalies are the lower prices, not the higher ones.”

Subsidies?!?! For gasoline?!?! In New Jersey or any other state?!?!

Hyperbole much?

rxlawdude | 10 avril 2019

"I filled up my gas-guzzling SUV for only $2.48 per gallon in New Jersey, yesterday"

Shouldn't you be on a Gas-guzzling SUV forum to proudly announce that?

AWDTesla | 10 avril 2019

We pay close to that in Canada. I think last fillip was $1.20/L for super unleaded. Was a while ago though...certainly dont fill up the girls as much since the 3 took over 95% of driving duties...

Carl Thompson | 10 avril 2019

@Mike83:
"... or have to breathe carcinogenic gas/diesel fumes."

The sunlight that powers many EVs now also causes cancer! ;-)

@PECo CT

Sure there are subsidies. I suggest you go read up on the subject.

We are at $1.26 - $1.28/L here.

Mike83 | 10 avril 2019

My Solar Panels are not concerned with cancer. Immunodeficiency causes skin cancer is my take. Alcohol and drug users compromise their ability to fight cancer cells by weakening their body systems. Environmental factors such as benzene, mercury and coal toxins contribute to heart disease, lung and liver cancers.

The US spends $26 BILLION/year propping up fossil fuels greasing the wheels for climate denialists.

https://www.nrdc.org/experts/danielle-droitsch/time-us-end-fossil-fuel-s...

thomas.hitchcock | 10 avril 2019

I get free electricity at night (pay a bit more per kwh during the day though). Last billing cycle 74% of my usage was at night. Hope oil prices keep on trending up!

JustSaying | 10 avril 2019

$4.19 premium OC , CA

jimglas | 10 avril 2019

just what the coal rollers deserve

St☰v☰ | 10 avril 2019

$4.39 in my neck of the woods.. Unfortunately, my 3 doesn't arrive until Friday (fingers crossed), so I'm still on ICE..

St☰v☰ | 10 avril 2019

I see one on Sunset Blvd at $4.99 and that's the cash price...

PECo CT | 10 avril 2019

@sky-pilot

One of the “advantages” of living on the East Coast and South is a plethora of oil refineries producing cheap gasoline.

PECo CT | 10 avril 2019

@rxlawdude

As soon as a viable EV tow vehicle becomes available, I’m in. Right now, range is an issue, as is saltwater immersion.

Mike83 | 10 avril 2019

Prefer locations not causing leukemia or other cancers.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130729083350.htm

PECo CT | 10 avril 2019

@calvin940

Okay, so I read up on it. While the US provides subsidies to the fossil fuel industry, eliminating the subsidies would, apparently, have a negligible impact on gasoline prices:

https://usa.oceana.org/oil-gas-subsidies-myth-vs-fact

While I can’t vouch for oceana.org, at least one fact-checking website rates it as “HIGH” for factual reporting.

But whatev. For what it’s worth, I believe in Elon’s mission, but I’m no zealot.

jjgunn | 10 avril 2019

Been watching the price.....and laughing as I drive by in my extremely quiet, fully charged EV

@PECo CT

"Subsidies?!?! For gasoline?!?! In New Jersey or any other state?!?!

Hyperbole much?"

My point was that you weren't aware of said subsidies and attempted to call me out on something you knew nothing about.

I read that oceana article and while they quote a lot of sources, nobody can actually predict whether their hypothesis is true or not because it is in fact a hypothesis. However, the fact is those subsidies are being paid and we really would know what the removal of 26 billion dollars of annual subsidies would do, but I can't imagine the effect of the removal would be imperceptible.