Forums

will Tesla refund $5000 if my model 3 totaled

will Tesla refund $5000 if my model 3 totaled

I bought my Tesla model 3 last September with FSD feature ($3000 auto pilot + $5000 FSD) and my Tesla was involved in a car accident recently and is probably totaled. according to Elon
“Anyone who purchased full self-driving will get FSD computer upgrade for free. This is the only change between Autopilot HW2.5 & HW3. Going forward “HW3” will just be called FSD Computer, which is accurate. No change to vehicle sensors or wire harness needed. This is very important.” Since I didn't get my HW3 yet, if my Tesla is totaled now, can I ask Tesla for $5000 refund? Looking forward to your advice and thanks for your time.

crmedved | 17 avril 2019

No? When your car gets totaled, your insurance should give you a fair market price for it. The $5,000 FSD feature increases the fair market price... just make sure they know your car had it, even if you bought it after you bought the car.

Tesla has nothing to do with it :/ It's not really their fault in any way. But, you can ask, sure.

SteveWin1 | 18 avril 2019

I feel like, since this is basically a software license, that it should be transferable, but I guess Tesla can do whatever they want, and they want you to purchase it again, of course.

Wormtown Kris | 18 avril 2019

I was wondering- What happens with custom modifications when a car is totaled? Could you, for example, pull off the expensive aftermarket wheels (if undamaged) on your totaled Mustang, or do they have to stay with the totaled car? How about a fancy sound system? I would think it would be kind of like that. Of course you cannot go to the junkyard and "retrieve" your FSD, but if an individual is allowed to pull components from a totaled car, then arguably you might have the rights to retain your FSD license. If once the car is totaled, it is surrendered as is, then I would think the component "contract" related to FSD might be surrendered as well, subject to fair market price as stated above.

jjgunn | 18 avril 2019

This is all on your insurance. Don't let them scam you. Make sure you receive FMV & that includes AP/FSD.

Kathy Applebaum | 18 avril 2019

Mine is covered on my insurance. I specifically mentioned that I wanted it covered and my agent assured me it would be even if I hadn't mentioned it.

rdavis | 18 avril 2019

Wormtown Kris | April 18, 2019
I was wondering- What happens with custom modifications when a car is totaled? Could you, for example, pull off the expensive aftermarket wheels (if undamaged) on your totaled Mustang, or do they have to stay with the totaled car? How about a fancy sound system? I would think it would be kind of like that. Of course you cannot go to the junkyard and "retrieve" your FSD, but if an individual is allowed to pull components from a totaled car, then arguably you might have the rights to retain your FSD license. If once the car is totaled, it is surrendered as is, then I would think the component "contract" related to FSD might be surrendered as well, subject to fair market price as stated above.

If your car is totaled, the insurance company owns the totaled car. They can sell it as scrap for as much as they can get. You have no title to it at that point.

andy.connor.e | 18 avril 2019

Does norton refund your year subscription if your computer catches fire?

cmh95628 | 18 avril 2019

Agree with those that state your insurance company should cover this. Hope that you will come back here when this is all resolved and let us know how it turned out.

garibaldi | 18 avril 2019

@Wormtown It depends on the insurance. I just let my insurance know when I bought EAP+FSD afterwards and they updated my information. With my insurance, it only works with manufacturer's add-ons such as these.

thedrisin | 18 avril 2019

@andy. Usually you can download the software into your new computer and resume your subscription. Happens all the time.

bruhling2 | 18 avril 2019

I can assure you unequivocally that Tesla will do no such thing. I had a LR AWD that I purchased prior to the end of the old referral program. Less than 30 days after delivery, I was rear ended and the car declared a total loss. I asked if the 6 months free supercharging could be transferred to my new car given that the original was a total loss. I was told that it is associated with the VIN and they have no ability to transfer it. They said the same about EAP/FSD...

ODWms | 18 avril 2019

Luckily the EAP/FSD can be compensated for by insurance.

coleAK | 18 avril 2019

In general when a car is totaled you get nothing extra for aftermarket expensive things. Just like if you go trade it in you get little to nothing extra for options. Simpley put: You get fair market value for your totaled USED car. Then you get to buy a new car with that money. If your worried about it look into gap insurance if you have a vehicle loan.

crmedved | 18 avril 2019

@coleAK I wouldn't consider AP/EAP/FSD as aftermarket accessories. They're tied to the vin and can never be removed or transferred - they intrinsically increase the value of the car, permanently.

Most insurers give you the option to specify the value of your aftermarket accessories as part of your policy though. Gap insurance is okay, unless you paid a large enough down payment to mitigate the instant depreciation from buying... then it doesn't do anything for you.

rdavis | 18 avril 2019

Gap only pays the spread between what is owed on the loan and what is payed out from the insurance company. Unless you've wrapped those after market items into the cost of the loan... it ain't going to help you.

calvin940 | 18 avril 2019

No and any expectation on such a refund makes no sense and is not realistic.

Sandman89 | 18 avril 2019

I've posted a similar response on another thread. However to help out the OP I will post again. My car was totaled which had EAP when I purchased the vehicle. I bought fsd later during the discount period for 2k. Insurance increased cars value by 4500 for EAP (I paid 5k for it) and 2800 for FSD (I paid 2k for it). So yes they will factor your upgrades into determining the value of the car. My insurance company was Liberty Mutual. Hopefully this is a good point of reference if you need to negotiate with them. Good luck

Sandman89 | 18 avril 2019

Also in no circumstance will Tesla refund you, I tried. Even though at the time I got the fsd my car was in the shop for repairs (at that time the insurance company hadn't decided on totaling it). They still refused to either transfer or refund the fsd purchase.

Ross1 | 19 avril 2019

If the software is tied to the VIN and it gets sold as spare parts by the wrecker yard, someone could buy the VIN plate and get the software and free supercharging?

coleAK | 19 avril 2019

Yes the driving aids are tied to the VIN. But add one options are not always covered well by insurance. I’m at the Lexus dealer getting parts for my LX. Walked into sales for a coffee and had the guy who sold it to me. He looked up a 2018 Tesla model 3 and it wasn’t in the data base. So we looked up a 2018 Porsche 911, PCCBs (ceramic composit breaks) are a $8500 option new, if the car is totaled insurance value for this option is $1800.