Forums

What are your driving habits?

What are your driving habits?

I’ve had the car for 4 weeks. I’m in my mid 40’s and although have had several “fast cars”, I’ve never found myself slamming down the accelerator like I am now. Mines only a SR+.

My wife is completely annoyed by my driving. When she’s not in the car it’s worse. Or better.

I can’t believe how much fun instant torque is. I can’t imagine the P.

I worry that I’m abusing the car. I don’t mind buying tires, I just don’t want to damage anything.

The Tesla experience with buying was a nuisance but it’s all forgotten now.

Magic 8 Ball | 19 avril 2019

Try having a P version, having your habits, and driving your wife around after having heart surgery. I have 3 "don't do that" on my record now. Tough tough habit to break that pedal stomping is. ; ).

acasano | 19 avril 2019

I stopped "slamming" the accelerator after I got that out of my system and for safety reasons as well. My habit though is to use AP and NoAP often, every opportunity I get from city streets to highways. I believe AP offers greater safety in driving with sensors that are the equivalent of having eyes on the side and the back of your head. Integrating it into your daily driving is the safest way forward in piloting your car.

Reflex | 19 avril 2019

@asasano -- I'm like you on calming my "flooring the accelerator" behavior (except on freeway on-ramps!). My experience with AP has been the opposite: I find AP jerky with both steering and velocity; I have no trust in it on local freeways (and can't imagine using it on city streets!), given how complicated can be the traffic with 4-6 lanes going in one direction with so many interchanges. I'm glad to know it will (hopefully) save my neck from rear-ending someone (been there, done that) -- but AP is not ready for prime time in my experience.

jimglas | 19 avril 2019

drive it like you stole it

ebmcs03 | 19 avril 2019

Why can’t the sensors be on all the time to increase the safety even if AP isn’t being used?

acasano | 19 avril 2019

Reflex -- I have the AP fully integrated into my driving to the point that I believe I pretty much understand when it doesn't engage. To me this is the future and Tesla offers the best version, hands down. Ok, we are at the cusp of the future in piloting a car, you can say it is not perfect today. But why wait to use it when it offers so much already on the way to autonomous transportation.

Reflex | 19 avril 2019

@acasano -- I know in time I will gradually engage AP more and more; it's hard to abandon my 38 years of safe driving experience, particularly when I enjoy driving. I believe computers are GREAT at "remembering" and calculating, while not so great at "thinking" (integrating information from multiple sources and taking into account human behavior/psychology in predicting behavior). It will take some impressive data to change my mind. It doesn't help when the M3 computer demonstrates bugs on a daily basis (turning off the seat heater, chiming the seatbelt alarm inconsistently, black rear camera monitor, etc).

I bought my M3 for the drivetrain more than any other reason: RWD electric. There are MANY things about my car that I tolerate (and the list is growing). I know this is the bleeding edge, and there will always be those more or less willing than I to trust technology to keep them safe.

JAD | 19 avril 2019

To answer you question, having fun should not damage the drive train nearly as much as in an ICE. Watch the tires and be sure to rotate them as that torque will eat the rears!!! Otherwise, have fun, be safe and enjoy the Tesla grin.

JAD | 19 avril 2019

sorry, your question....

Infiniti Pi | 19 avril 2019

My wife now insists I put it in “chill” mode whenever she is in the car. A mild compromise.....

acasano | 19 avril 2019

Reflex -- I guess our attitudes may be age related. I am close to the end of my rainbow and don't regret it, with some 70 years of driving experience. I can't wait to use any amount of AP driving that Tesla throws my way. If I wait I may miss it forever, if you get my drift.

jimglas | 19 avril 2019

honestly, I cant remember ever "flooring it", The acceleration is such that I always stop before I hit the floor. Amazing acceleration.

Reflex | 19 avril 2019

@acasano -- I definitely get your drift