Forums

80% cap on supercharging stinks

80% cap on supercharging stinks

80% cap on supercharging stinks to high heavens. In my view they broke their promise of 'free unlimited supercharging' which they made at time of pirchase. I know there are people out there who defend Tesla's action and rationalize their action. But this thing really sucks. No ifs and buts.

It takes away my flexibility for medium range trip greatly. It is going to increase the number of stops I have to make and increase the range anxiety. I use supercharges only once a week when I have a need to do 200 to 300 mile round trips. My car is 75D and has only 237 miles capacity. I am pissed they did this. What is next, I wonder.

TeslaTap.com | 26 mai 2019

Consider that it quadruples the throughput if everyone was charging to 100% before. Seems really rare that people stay at a supercharger an extra hour or so just to get 20% more range. Far faster to charge to 80% and go to the next Supercharger. Overall, I expect it will be faster for everyone, including you. That last 20% is soooo slow. In some places, at 80% SOC, you could also move to a slow L2 charger and be about as fast and not clog the Superchargers. Still I can see some scenarios where 100% charge would be nice (i.e. when there is no Supercharger later in your route).

mbirnie51 | 26 mai 2019

Driving a 2017 March build 75D MX……….At this point, I’m not sure I agree with @polooza just yet. I’m sure that most other locations of the entire SC network still allow 100% charging. I know the local Concord CA charger is high volume considering the number of stations, but this location was underserved for years. The Seattle area has less SC locations& total # of stations related to number of Tesla ownerships compared to the Bay area.

I’m wondering what parameters Tesla uses to determine if a location is “High Volume”. Is it total Kwh delivered/number of vehicles charged in a 24 hour period; or ownership number/ population density in a defined geographic area; or hours used/ number of stations over 24 hour period.
@polooza..he has a verifiable vehicle log that shows his trips over time, it is my opinion that this type of use should not be limited to 80% but allowed to charge to his comfort level for the distance..we don’t need users having anxiety.
If you log in the Navigation system with an extended trip (say 400 miles round trip), and follow the suggested route, you should be allowed to charge at any SC to your comfort range to reach the next SC..range anxiety on an extended trip and not knowing what you might encounter during that leg sure is uncomfortable. Tesla could build in a scam proof safeguard by having each log in a payment method, dinging those who abandoned the logged in trip.

HOT EMOTIONS HERE TO FOLLOW!
1) Should higher capacity vehicles be limited to 80% charge and 85Kwh packs and less get 100% charge?? Tesla limits the input capacity of 75Kwh packs to 96 K input and unleashes 90-100 Kwh packs to 125 K input (and now even higher). Keep in mind that 80% of 325 miles range is farther (260 miles) than 80% of 236 miles (188 miles) of range. The distance between SCs stays the same, giving me more range anxiety. The higher input packs reach 80% charge in a shorter time period AND have more range. Is that parity??
2) Should a threshold in wh/mile be the metric for limiting the charge rate to 80%?? Consider that I might use 300wh/mile in my MX, I’ll use less Kwh to travel say 100 miles (30 Kwh) than someone using at 450 wh/mile in their MS going the same distance (45 Kwh). They will consume more energy than me over say 100,000 miles: 30,000Kwh vs. 45,000Kwh. Just consider those with Full Unlimited Super Charging (FUSC), someone gets 50% more bang for the buck driving without concern for conservation (limited resources) , but each paid the same initial premium for FUSC. I’ve paid it twice as this is my second Tesla (does this fact get me more carge rate)…surely this one size does not fit all equally.
3) Should FUSC vehicles be limited to 80% charge and paying customers get 100% charge?? They are inputing cash into the expansion of the SC network, but so did those who were first adopters, so what is fare to each constituency?? Who gets credit for getting Tesla off the ground?
We can all chew on these items, and others soon to surface, while we consider where each of us aligns in this debate.

mbirnie51 | 26 mai 2019

Another thought here....if this limitation is to continue, Tesla should give us some way of knowing which SC stations are considered "High Volume"...maybe a unique icon on the list that pops up on the UI when you hit the thunder bolt. With a 75 Kwh pack I might have to reconsider my driving habits and slow down to get my wh/mile lower!! I'm at 346wh/m lifetime after 36k miles in a 2017 75D MX. I was at 317 wh/m lifetime in my 2013 P85 MS after 80k miles.

Tropopause | 26 mai 2019

There is no 80% cap if your Trip Planner says you need more. What's the problem?

Teslapalooza | 27 mai 2019

I like to set my own route and not follow Tesla trip planner. My goal is to minimize going to multiple charging stations. It is a time sink for me. I also take lunch breaks at a local restaurant at some stations and I need that extra 15 minutes that I can keep the car on charging while I finish up my meal.

Listen, I am only stating a well published action by Tesla. And it sucks. Doesn't matter how you slice it or dice it, they broke a promise when they reneged on in 'free unlimited charging' no matter how people like to color it.. It is stated in the sales invoice and contract. Plain and simple .

I had bought Tesla in support of their Sustainable energy philosophy. I still believe in that and will continue to believe in that Tesla or not. But I do not support their all of their business practices especially when it comes to going back on their promise made to the customer.

I am considering pulling back my Model Y order that I placed a month ago. Some may say I am bluffing, but I am sure there are Tesla employees lurking in this forum and they are welcome to go verify if I have really placed an order or not.

TeslaTap.com | 27 mai 2019

@Teslapalooza - I'm not excited about the change, but if it means less wait time getting into a busy Supercharger stall, I expect my overall time at Superchargers will be less now. There are some busy places around. Not sure I agree with broken promise. They never said you could sit at a Supercharger forever (hence, Idle fees, etc.), but 'unlimited' could be interpreted that way too. Making it work well for everyone should always be Tesla's goal, and some limitations on a few make it work better for most is a good thing.

Now if you jump Tesla to another brand, will you be happy paying sky high charging fees, at far fewer locations and require longer charge times? Seems Tesla is the only game in town - and still dramatically better than anything else.

Tropopause | 27 mai 2019

From what I understand it seems the initial Supercharging speed can/is faster if the SOC limit is 80% vs. setting a higher final limit. Is this new? I always thought charging and tapering rates were the same (all else being equal) regardless of what your desired cut-off limit is.

TeslaTap.com | 28 mai 2019

While not tested lately, the instantaneous charging speed is not affected by what you set as the SOC limit (i.e. it doesn't charge faster by having a higher limit). Perhaps someone else can verify if this changed, but I don't see why it would. It is best for battery health to remain on the tapering curve.

Teslapalooza | 28 mai 2019

@TeslaTap, you have many great points. But to say "Tesla is the only game in town" is like burying your head in the sand. That may be the case today, but highly unlikely to be the case by end of 2020 which the time frame for model Y availability. I am all for electric cars, but will be happy to forgo the trimmings like auto navigation aspects, as long as there is some level of navigation assistance to enhance safety - that is becoming prevalent in many cars these days, even in ice cars.

jjgunn | 28 mai 2019

I just charged to 86% at a "high-capacity" SuperCharger.

About half the slots being used -- no waiting.

jjgunn | 28 mai 2019

@Teslapalooza - move the slider

TeslaTap.com | 28 mai 2019

@Teslapalooza - I expect there will be some great alternatives in a few years, but clearly nothing today. The competitive charging networks are nowhere to be found, and I don't see much change expected in 2 years as Tesla is about 8 years ahead of everyone else today. So far no automaker is even talking about offering something competitive to Tesla's Supercharger network. They are all hoping someone else will build something, but other than a few limited stall locations inside dealer lots, there is little to warrant any optimism here. Electrify America is doing some good work, but once they run out of the free VW dieselgate money, that network will stop growing and I wonder how it will be maintained.

If you need a roundabout car (i.e. no long distance travel), then the options open up quite a bit. The Leaf has been very successful in this market in the past, but why anyone would pay for a limited-range compact today when for about the same price you can get a Model 3 with far more features seems a bit crazy to me. Still there will be a market at the bottom end, with limited range subcompacts, which oddly seems to be the primary focus of automakers unless you go to the $70-100K category, with an eTron or iPace. It will be fun to watch what ends up working and those that become dead ends. While I expect Tesla will be around for years, I'm far less certain about it's competitors.

Teslapalooza | 28 mai 2019

@jjgunn, yes, I read today that they have allowed this adjustment using the App. This should help people who are in my situation.

Looks like they listened to the customers this time around. I hope they remain customer centric and be clear in what they promise to the customer and keep that promise. That will serve them well into the future. I want them to succeed too.

bonhari03 | 3 juin 2019

I have a MX75 which 22” wheels, the lowest range Tesla by most standards. Took a trip last week to Vegas last week and never charged to 100%. Did not need to. I don’t anticipate ever needing to given the robust Tesla network unless I’m pulling a trailer or have my tandem on the back. We live right next to the Supercharger in Rancho Cucamonga but go to others in the area as my local SC almost always has a line. As long as they limit the 80% cap to busy SCs, this can only be a win for me.

Teslapalooza | 3 juin 2019

I am glad Tesla looked into and considered situations that many owners run into, similar to what I described. The exception they have allowed instead of enforcing a draconian blanket rule, is a good one. I am happy about it. I am no longer considering the cancellation of my Model Y order.