Forums

Does anybody know when Advanced Summon will be available

Does anybody know when Advanced Summon will be available

I love the idea of Advanced Summon and frankly it was one of the main reasons I bought the car. I was told at the dealership that it was scheduled for May but it is now July and I still can’t use Advanced Summon on my model 3. Any insights or cheerful messages would be appreciated.

Thanks

teslamazing | 9 juillet 2019

Looks like 4 mph is the max speed limit for now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/cabrsg/enhanced_summon_as_...

vmulla | 9 juillet 2019

Magic 8 Ball | July 3, 2019
The thing about TESLA time is we are all so anxious to see what is next that we put ourselves in the position of "will xmas ever come". The fact is we have owned the car less than a year and the stuff given OTA during that time has shows they are really moving forward on improving and supporting the vehicles, really easy to take for granted how much has been delivered already. Probably harder to see as a new owner and after a few months of OTA's hopefully you will learn it is all worth the wait.

----

Agree 100%

It's amazing to see how far we've come from ping-ponging on the highway.

terminator9 | 9 juillet 2019

That's one of the features that need a lot of real world testing so our cars doesn't crash often causing us to complain to Tesla. I am glad they are taking their time. I only wish that Elon learns from the last 5 years and sets realistic expectation. These timelines are rough anyway. How hard it is it add +6 months to features that are complicated.

JAD | 9 juillet 2019

terminator9, why add six months? Why not a year? Maybe 2 years to be extra safe, or 3-5 like some other manufacturers? You might as well give your best estimate and go from there I think. What percentage of the normal population knows or cares about the release date of advanced summons? There may be about 100 of us on the forum that care it is late versus the PR it keeps getting with all the coming soon videos.

I think he has gotten much better at giving reasonable guesses on complex project timelines, but do to their very nature, they are very unpredictable.

Techy James | 9 juillet 2019

@lbanworth just for the record Tesla doesn't use LIDAR. Instead it uses Vision from 8 Cameras, 12 Ultrasonic Sensors, and Forward Radar for detection beyond the car directly ahead of you. Elon stated LIDAR is perfect for applications like docking with the Space station, but it's limitations with weather and cost make it a limited choice for use in everyday cars. The Cost and Aesthetics would be the limiting factors for cars. The cost of that dome on top of Google cars is currently $75,000 per car, now granted WAYMO believes that cost could be reduced to about $7,500 once they move to producing the sensors themselves, but even at that price is considerably more than 8 cameras can be purchased for. So lets assume the get the cost down and size down so it's not a huge dome but instead 3 smaller pillars on a vehicle similar what BYTON suggest then your still talking more cost than the Vision Approach. Your still going to want Ultrasonic and Radar to get over limitations of Light in conditions like Snow, Fog, and seeing past that large vehicle ahead of you. This is a must until there is a communication standard with Autonomous cars, and they communicate amongst themselves to warn about conditions ahead.

Joshan | 9 juillet 2019

I have the inside scoop on when Advancved Summon will be ready!!!

.... drum roll ....

When it is ready and has passed testing.

For everyone who wants it NOW, how happy would you be when it hits someone in a parking lot because they rushed it out? Would you rather wait?

M3phan | 9 juillet 2019

Elon has said he discovered that parking lots have a lot more variations and edge case scenarios than he first realized. : ) Here’s the big difference between a feature like Nav on AP (even soon-to-come street level) and Enhanced Summon...May seem obvious but...there’s no driver in the car who can intervene.if needed in Enhanced Summon.
Better to get this particular feature right than rushed.

BuffaloBillsFan | 9 juillet 2019

No FishEV posts on this thread? Has he been banished? Is Howard next? That would be a dream come true!

That is all.

terminator9 | 9 juillet 2019

I don't know which technology will eventually lead to true Level 4/5 but the cheaper cost doesn't really matter if you can't reach Level 4/5 with it as that is the goal. Only time will tell.

>>The cost of that dome on top of Google cars is currently $75,000 per car, now granted WAYMO believes that cost could be reduced to about $7,500 once they move to producing the sensors themselves, but even at that price is considerably more than 8 cameras can be purchased for. So lets assume the get the cost down and size down so it's not a huge dome but instead 3 smaller pillars on a vehicle similar what BYTON suggest then your still talking more cost than the Vision Approach.

Pages