Forums

Anyone else with massive vampire drain increase after 2019.24.1?

Anyone else with massive vampire drain increase after 2019.24.1?

My S was having the typical 2-3 mile per day vampire loss until 2019.24.1 installed. After that the loss went to 1 mile per hour. I’ve tried powering down the car but it brings itself back to life and the drain continues. This equates to 2200 kWh per year and is unacceptable. Is anyone else seeing a major uptick since this update?

p.c.mcavoy | 14 juillet 2019

Have you checked your settings for things like cabin overheat protection and sentry to make sure one of those settings, which you maybe previously always had off, were turned on as result of the update? Both cabin overheat protection and sentry will prevent the car from going into sleep mode and result in increased vampire loss. I've not experienced it recently, but have had few settings getting changed at random at times across an update.

johncrab | 14 juillet 2019

I went through all of the settings to make sure they were where they were supposed to be. Then, I got into the car, locked it and powered down the car. I sat in it for five minutes and while the screens shut down, I could hear something out in the trunk running. It was faint but distinctive. Just after the 3 minute mark, I heard a small fan inside the dash area come on. I read somewhere that 2019.24.1 added some system protection for the battery, etc., but the settings are clearly set too low for a SW climate. It's 92 in my garage and the interior of the car was reporting 97. This is typical for this time of the year over a wide user base in the southwest so I suspect in the coming days more will be chiming in. I have scheduled a service appointment for 10 days from now. Between now and then I will be going up to the mountains where the car should cool off at night and I'll see if the problem persists there. It's pretty clear they set tolerances based on Fremont and not Phoenix or LA or San Diego and this needs some tweaking. The car is working but it's running things which will experience early failure if they run for seven solid months due to ambient temp.

TeslaTap.com | 14 juillet 2019

@johncrab - It's clear to me you have Sentry mode on. Sentry mode keeps the AP process running, which consumes 250W or so, or about 1 mile of range per hour. You're hearing the two AP fans run to keep it cool as well. You can have Sentry mode automatically set off at home, which eliminates most of the drain - or turn the feature off entirely if you don't like the consumption it requires.

My car is a 2014 and does not have sentry mode.

barrykmd | 14 juillet 2019

2015 AP1 (no sentry mode) here and no change with 24.1. My parking spot is roughly 75 degrees around the clock.

Seems to me that Sentry Mode is very poorly implemented, given its large power burden for what it is.

Since I don't have sentry mode, that's an easy one to eliminate. I really feel at this point that this is a bug which is causing a pump and a fan to run constantly or that the system protection temp limit was set too low. I'm not going to air condition the garage to keep the car happy and since it has been fine for almost five years now, this just looks like a FUBAR by the programmers at Tesla. Not the first time. I have dual chargers and once they pushed an update which made one of them disappear and cut my charge rate in half. So, it does happen. They push out bugware.

THANKS barrykmd for confirming that you have seen no change and that your car is sitting at 75F. That tends to support my theory that this is an incorrect system protection set point. I'm eager to see if this goes away in a week when I can get the car to the mountains and to mid-60's night temps. We are seeing 111F ambient here with 100F in my garage this week and that's normal for July, at least here. No so in the bay area where Tesla offices are and where 80F is considered life-threatening heat.

AmpedRealtor | 14 juillet 2019

With update 2019.16.2 and later, Tesla increased battery cooling and made some other changes as a result of what Tesla learned from the Hong Kong battery fire. TMC members have reported reduced range with updates following 2019.16.2 as well as cooling pumps running when they didn't previously (i.e., while parked). There is a long thread at TMC from owners who have experienced extreme range loss after the last few updates:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/sudden-loss-of-range-with-2019-1...

@Amped - thanks for the link. That thread brought up some even more disturbing possibilities such as a program running in background to re-calibrate my car/battery. I have not seen any range loss to speak of except for 2 miles which I put down to a new algorithm for determining range. From what I'm reading at TMC, many are getting hit with huge range loses. At this moment, that's not what I'm seeing, just this constant running of "stuff" which is draining the battery. Since Tesla doesn't communicate any more all I can do is wait for the ranger to come out on the 24th and see what excuses are offered. I'm really getting weary of fighting the company and now the car and I'm thinking after 5 years it may just be time to move on.

AmpedRealtor | 14 juillet 2019

@johncrab — Have you tried rebooting after applying a software update? Sometimes applying a software update spontaneously reverts/changes some of your settings which a reboot can resolve. Cabin Overheat Protection and Smart Preconditioning are two features that feed a voracious vampire.

jb | 14 juillet 2019

My late 2016 Model S is suddenly losing 1-2 miles an hour after historically losing 1-2 miles a day. I hope we can get a fix pretty soon.

@Amped - I rebooted both screens individually, "tried" to turn the car off but still heard whirring sounds minutes later. I have toggled all of the settings, exiting the settings screen after each, then putting them back. I've tried range mode, turning off always connected, etc. The whirring noises tell me the car just isn't going to sleep and something is just running 24/7. No range loss to report so far, but a constant drain taking place. The earliest service I could get is the 25th so maybe they will have this fixed by then or I can watch the ranger stammer through a list of excuses. It's the only thing on my service list so they can't very well sweep this under the rug.

@jb - Sounds like we have the exact same problem, so I guess we can take comfort in the fact "it's not just me". I suspect this is a software bug that others have yet to discover. I saw it right away after the 2019.24.1 update installed the afternoon of 7/10/19. This reminds me of the birthday present I got a few years ago when they pushed a bug which disabled my second charger and left me charging at half speed. Neither was crippling but this still works out to 2200kwh per year which is an insane loss, not to mention wear and burnout of whatever is running all the time.

johncrab | 15 juillet 2019

Updating...I got customer support on the PHONE this morning and they were able to see the increased energy consumption in my car and the fact it is not going to sleep. They were unable to see what was causing the loss but it was judged to be "not normal". I can hear the pump out in the frunk at all times and just hope it lasts long enough for me to get to a service appointment on the 24th. That's the best they can do right now.

So this is a very real thing as Tesla confirmed. If you have the same problem, make a service appointment because that's the only way we are going to get this examined and eventually solved. Who pays for parts that wear out in the meantime because of this is anyone's guess.

Qwiksilver | 19 juillet 2019

I was losing 10 miles per day.
Had the car in for service this past weekend. The problem seems to have improved.

TeslaTap.com | 19 juillet 2019

@johncrab - Glad Tesla/you were able to figure it out.

Ohmster | 19 juillet 2019

Those that report improvements after bringing it in to Tesla. What did they report it to be?

AERODYNE | 19 juillet 2019

I am not seeing much more drain, but the fans seem to come on more, and I have lost a mile or two of range.

I have not seen this mentioned before, but could it be the list of range is directly related to equipment like cooling and fans now coming on more often?

Against my better judgement, I am updating software from 2019.24.1.5. seems to be two updates that target a very few AP1 cars. Will report results.

AERODYNE | 19 juillet 2019

Well looks like that did not do anything. Same release was pushed out again.