Forums

Service center failed to properly torque lug nuts

Service center failed to properly torque lug nuts

Highland Park service center did my four year service in October. They rotated my tires and left the right front Lugnuts torqued to 30 pounds. I drove this way for nine months, 8000 miles. Thought I had a warped rotor until I checked the torque on my wheels. Could have been killed or killed somebody else. I am pissed. Be careful out there. Never assume things are being done right.

Bighorn | 30 juillet 2019

How could you know the torque value they used after 9 months? SOP is to re-torque lug nuts after 50 miles because they can work loose after the initial torquing.

TeslaTap.com | 30 juillet 2019

While I would hope it would never happen, It's very possible someone loosened the bolts on your car long after the service was done. Did the warped rotor feel occur right after service? Months later? Very recently? If not right after service, I doubt the service center was at fault. If you are not certain it was the service center, you might update the title of your post too to be clear that you don't know why they were loose.

Aerodyne | 30 juillet 2019

I think I can say 80% of the time I let someone else work on my car, at least one lug nut is over or under torqued. No matter who, no matter what I say about hand torque only.

Standard SOP seems to be throw the wheel up on the car, spin a nut on full speed with the impact wrench, then use a torque stick for the rest. Of course, rarely to they check for over torque on the first nut.

Older MS have a conical seating area like older cars, and is particularly unforgiving of poor technique.

Once last century, got careless and forgot to tighten same type lug nuts on a trailer. Went a half mile, looked in rear view and saw a wheel wobbling and about to come off.

It can happen, esp. in this era of cell phone distractions. One solution is to do your own work and double check.

Never had to recheck torque on my other cars, but the MS might be different. Will be getting new front tires soon, thanks for mentioning checking the lug nut torque.

Bighorn | 30 juillet 2019

I think I remember reading that some wheel positions are more prone to backing out nuts.
Point of information: how does one measure the torque of an installed lug nut? Do you need a digital torque wrench?

PBEndo | 30 juillet 2019

Those no good, goddamn undertorquers!

Its all fine untill the Stealership declines warranty for warper rotors that they caused by over torquing.

Lexus did that to me.

As to BH question, should never occur is you follow proper process as outlined in most MM. Is it does, loosen all and retorque in steps in cross cross pattern.

"Warped"..... "if you"

RandallKeith | 30 juillet 2019

The other three wheels were fine. Why would only one wheel come loose? All five lug nuts the same. My guess is they rotated the tires, installed the Lugnuts , Pre-tightened them with a low power air wrench, then did a final torque with a torque wrench but got distracted and missed one wheel

Big horn, I determined the amount of torque by Setting my wrench to a low value and increasing it until the nut moved.

My car is gently driven. Almost always under 50 mph I hardly ever use my brakes.

Lifetime average 262 watts per mile. Including Wisconsin winters. Probably why I didn’t catch this problem earlier.

That is indeed a gently driven car! Mine is 304 Wh/mi in sunny socal...

Bighorn | 21 août 2019

It's called mobile service, dumbass.