Forums

Dashcam mode records only evening while coming back from office !! doesn't record in morning !!

Dashcam mode records only evening while coming back from office !! doesn't record in morning !!

Anyone faced issue where Dashcam records in evening but not in morning. I dont do anything specific for evening recording, just start from office, and when i check return trip videos is always recorded but i can't find morning videos for heaven's sake!
-A

jamilworm | 5 août 2019

Did you try saving and videos during the morning? If you want to save anything you should always tap on the dash cam icon to save the video so that it won't be overwritten. Do not rely on the videos just still being around in the recent videos folder.

jamilworm | 5 août 2019

*and = any

Magic 8 Ball | 5 août 2019

It only automatically saves most recent hour of dashcam footage and overwrites itself saving the most recent hour only.

aaron85 | 5 août 2019

@jamilworm i did not try to save videos during morning, i have 128gb space in usb, so its not overwriting it. I dont save videos in evening too, but they are always there.
@magic8 i see savedclips it has videos from the time i leave office to when i reach home without saving or anything. next day i start again and reach to office and back in the evening. it doesn't have morning videos!
i will try to save morning videos and see if something gets saved but its weird, for evenings its always saved not for morning.

EVRider | 6 août 2019

@aaron85: If your evening drive is an hour or more, then you won’t see any videos from the morning unless you save them. As was mentioned above, the dashcam only saves the last hour of video.

MadOverlord | 6 août 2019

Yeah, the 1-hour limitation is kind of silly. It should just rotate through the available space, deleting older video as needed to make space for the new + whatever you've explicitly saved + sentry mode events. Or at least you should be able to specify how much of a buffer is used.

The older video is often recoverable with a utility like Disk Drill btw.

gmr6415 | 6 août 2019

@aaron85, Technically the dash cam doesn't save anything unless you tap the dash cam icon at which time it will save the last 10 one minute clips.

In the "recentclips" folder is where you will find the last hour of cached files and those files are overwritten by a first in first out protocol.

If you aren't saving anything from the dash cam by tapping on the icon the files in the "savedclips" folder will either be old clips that you did purposely save or sentry mode clips. Dash cam files are not automatically stored in the savedclips folder.

aaron85 | 6 août 2019

Thanks guys, will manually try to save morning videos & check it out today! Appreciate it.

ICEMELT | 6 août 2019

Dipping the drive in morning coffee might help :)

Magic 8 Ball | 6 août 2019

Another thing you should be made aware of. When the saved files folder fills up the drive stops recording anything, at least in the latest version software I have. I have not heard anything different from anyone. To fix it you have to manually purge the files in the saved files folder which on a 128GB drive takes forever even if you try the shortcut of deleting the saved files folder. Usually takes about 30 minutes on my laptop.

jimglas | 6 août 2019

@Magic: Still fills up with 2019.28.2 which I believe is the latest

FISHEV | 6 août 2019

You could also do the drive to work and then stop recording, take the USB into office and save them.

Tesla's logic is OK. If something didn't happen, why would you want the recording. Idea is if something happens you have a recording. If you want to save it after incident the last hour is there for you.

Were you concerned it was not recording in the AM or is there something in the AM you want to be recording. If so, just do the record when you get to work and then AM will be saved and last hour of PM drive will there to be saved if you want it.

EVRider | 6 août 2019

@Magic: The drive will only fill up if you use Sentry Mode, which doesn’t overwrite old files. 30 minutes to delete the files on your laptop seems very slow — if you don’t need to save any of the files on the drive, you can just reformat it and recreate the TeslaCam folder, which should be faster. Also check to see whether deleting files from the drive is copying them to trash folder somewhere, which would slow things down and not free up space if the trash folder is on the USB drive.

Magic 8 Ball | 6 août 2019

@EV All saved files go into the saved file folder including "events" while driving as I understand it. But, yes sentry is the one that fills it up fast.

Formatting a 128GB stick on a PC is a nightmare, it took me a few days to figure it out using "freeware" and the process takes lots of time. No trash folder on the USB and trash on PC is emptied before starting the process. Dell Latitude E6510.

aaron85 | 6 août 2019

@fishev my concern was in the saved folder, i can see last week worth of return trip dash cam videos but none from AM ( that is trip video while going to office is not there) , from previous comments it looks like it may be overwriting AM files so will try to download files after morning ride. my ride is almost an hour long.
only weird part is i never had to do download for evening videos. They are there in properly timestamped folder (expected same for AM video).

bitbasher | 6 août 2019

I've noticed (but haven't done intensive research) that if you have sentry mode enabled (say at work), then it tends to continue recording/saving while you drive away. If sentry mode is off at home, then a morning drive will be deleted as they will be > 1hr old when you leave work (and they'be saved in the recent folder). I bet if you yanked out your stick at work as soon as you arrive the drive-to-work files will still be on the stick.

gmr6415 | 6 août 2019

@aaron85, You should never end up with dash cam files in the saved folder unless you initiate the save procedure by tapping on the icon. They are all cached in the recents folder and that's where the are overwritten after an hour.

At least that's how it's supposed to work. Maybe there is some unknown software glitch that's effecting where your files are going. I just checked my drive and the only thing in the saved folder is Sentry Mode files...no dash cam files, and I haven't cleaned mine up in a few weeks.

aaron85 | 6 août 2019

@gmr6415 @bitbasher so hitting save will transfer the files into saved folder , correct ? i did not hit save when i reached to work, now if i head back all those files are overwritten and after reaching homes only files i see is return trip files!! this makes sense.
have no sentry enabled either at home/work!

ICEMELT | 6 août 2019

The drive shouldn't fill up that fast unless there are many Sentry events OR manual dash cam 'save' correct?

hokiegir1 | 6 août 2019

What kind of drive are you using? I had an issue with my Raspberry Pi at one point where it wouldn't reconnect properly after coming off wifi, but if the car slept, it would start up again -- which it almost sounds like could be your issue, if it's connecting to your home wifi, but then the car sleeps while you are at work and does fine on arrival.

aaron85 | 6 août 2019

@hokiegir1: its 128gb sandisk usb3.0 drive.
@icemelt: drive is not full it has 77gb remaining, as i dont enable sentry at work/home any other place it will be on.

gmr6415 | 6 août 2019

@aaron85, Yes. Tapping the dash cam icon will move the last 10 recorded one minute video files to the saved folder; therefore, saving the last 10 minutes of dash cam.

Sometimes if the recording is in the middle of a one minute clip that file will end up being corrupted. I don't know if that has been fixed.

EVRider | 6 août 2019

@Magic: Yes, both Sentry Mode video and any dashcam video you save go into the SavedClips folder, and since those files never get erased, eventually your USB will become full and stop recording. Dashcam video that you don’t save goes in RecentClips, and that gets overwritten after recording an hour.