Forums

$3k FSD upgrade promo ending Aug 16th?

$3k FSD upgrade promo ending Aug 16th?

Got an email saying the FSD promo is ending on Aug 16th... Should I hold out for the Q4 FSD promo?

Maybe ride it out till the 2020 promo for FSD??

raqball | 6 août 2019

I'd buy it instantly at $3K... I won't however pay more than $4K for it.. So if the prices go even higher than the current $6K I will never have it...

mehingle14 | 6 août 2019

Isn't $3,000 the cheapest at they've actually offered this?

fazman | 6 août 2019

$2000 was the rate back in March 2019

EVRider | 7 août 2019

@fazman: Please post the contents of the email. Thanks.

vmulla | 7 août 2019

Can anyone share what the price for FSD was at the time of configuration in December 2018?

I want to get a sense of how much this promotion worth.

Magic 8 Ball | 7 août 2019

What something is "worth" has nothing to do with prices.

hokiegir1 | 7 août 2019

@Vmulla - didn't they pull FSD off the configurator at the end of the year? You could still do EAP, but I thought that was it to "reduce confusion" for awhile -- which, in hindsight, was probably them getting ready for the change from EAP to AP.

Joshan | 7 août 2019

I actually bought in Dec and paid 5k for EAP, FSD would have been another 6k so I passed, I bought it for 3k in March and got the 1k refund making it 2k in the end.

hokiegir1 | 7 août 2019

@Joshan -- ok - the pulling it off may have been later, then. :)

rob | 7 août 2019

@ hokiegir1
I purchased January 21 with EAP. FSD was not an option at that time. But Tesla got a little confused and told some of us that we would get FSD at no charge. That didn't happen for me. I think that offer was targeted for people that bought in March.

vmulla | 7 août 2019

Ok. I think I might have picked a bad date. FSD wasn't available to configure in December.
Previously, when it was available was it always 6k over the EAP price?

FSD seemed so far away at that time that I wasn't paying attention to it's price, the focus was getting a decent EAP experience back then.

hokiegir1 | 7 août 2019

@Rob - thanks for confirming that I wasn't going nuts remembering that. :) I know it was a little chaotic and I didn't follow *too* closely since I already had mine, but I remembered seeing something about it.

hokiegir1 | 7 août 2019

@Vmulla - when I bought (April 2018), EAP was 5k and FSD was another 3k at purchase, or they each went up 1k after (so 6k/4k). I took delivery with EAP only. In March, I took the 2k deal on FSD.

vmulla | 7 août 2019

This is confusing about dates, prices and available options at that time.
I just want to know what the non-promotional price of FSD was.

vmulla | 7 août 2019

Thanks @hokiegir1

Joshan | 7 août 2019

I bought Dec 28 2018 and it was 6k as I said above.

Wanderer | 7 août 2019

Here is the email..

"As an owner who has purchased Enhanced Autopilot – you can now upgrade to Full Self-Driving Capability at a reduced price of $3,000. Get access to current convenience features and future Full Self-Driving features to continually increase the capability of your Tesla over time.
Use Navigate on Autopilot for assisted driving from on-ramp to off-ramp, including interchanges, merges and exits – while Autopark and Summon take the hassle out of finding a parking spot and getting out of tight spaces.
The price of this upgrade will increase on August 16."

vmulla | 7 août 2019

Because I bought in Jan 2018, I need to see this is a one time offer to reclaim the old FSD price - not a discount. What changed since that time is the introduction of newer hardware, better outlook into FSD future.

Kjacobs | 7 août 2019

@Wanderer; you got an email?!?!?!?

I only knew about it by checking my account and noticed the price change.
This is how I missed the previous $2,000 promo. Since then I've been checking regularly and decided to pull the trigger when I noticed the $3,000 offer last week.

I sure wish Tesla would step up their customer service game.

Joshan | 7 août 2019

what does you not seeing an email have to do with Tesla Customer Service?

rstrouts | 7 août 2019

vmulla, As a 1st day 3/31/16 reveal reservationist, I paid 5k for EAP and 3k for FSD. With FSD, I get the fun of anticipating, getting used to the idea of FSD and soon(?) getting a new computer to handle it way better than the current computer. Once the new computer is installed, or before, the price will go up because the car will be closer to enabling the Tesla Network to generate a positive cash flow. I wouldn't be surprised if Elon raises the price of the whole car with the new, much faster and capable computer that will provide a much more capable FSD.

vmulla | 7 août 2019

@rstrouts,
I agree with most of what you said, I haven't bought into the aspect of generating cash flow from robo-taxis yet - but can see money from shared rental service (like Turo), that does not need FSD though.

vmulla | 7 août 2019

Joshan | August 7, 2019
what does you not seeing an email have to do with Tesla Customer Service?
-----
Maybe lack of consistency in sharing info to the customers?

BTW, I haven't got that email either.

Also, the text of the email talks about on-ramp/off-ramp + parking assistance. Those features are already part of EAP. Also, it leaves out any mention of hardware upgrade.

If the features of FSD can be acheived with HW2.5 will the hardware be updated?

gadget63 | 7 août 2019

Just how important is this and is it really worth an extra 3 grand. Don't get me wrong, I've had my 3 for over a year now and couldn't imagine driving anything else, but FSD is still years down the road

Joshan | 7 août 2019

@vmulla If the features of FSD can be acheived with HW2.5 will the hardware be updated?

C`mon man you know the answer to this.... don't feed the fish.

YES IT WILL BE UPDATED. Any hardware required will be included. Elon stated this numerous times.

Joshan | 7 août 2019

HE also stated HW2.5 will NOT cut it, it is maxxed out on resources and HW3 is 21x faster.

Joshan | 7 août 2019

@gadget but FSD is still years down the road

You mean except V10 which is targeted for this month and includes new FSD features that are not in EAP?

Wilber | 7 août 2019

gadget63 +1

vmulla | 7 août 2019

@joshan,
I wouldn't have asked if the email was worded differently.

Two things about the email. It reiterates existing EAP features while taking about FSD?, and leaves out mention of hardware upgrade.

As someone who is considering upgrading only for the hardware, at this point I have accepted that the timeline of HW upgrade is totally up in the air.

Many have stated (in other threads) to get something in writing when in doubt. Here the writing alludes to FSD features as they're released, nothing about hardware upgrade.

I make it plain, I'm not someone who has easy access $3k, so getting expectations right is important to me.

Fish is fish, I can't help that. Shoot me down if my concerns are not legit. I have not poked through the website recently, but if it says something like FSD + updated HW then I'll just learn something and be quiet.

Joshan | 7 août 2019

techcrunch.com/2019/07/07/elon-musk-tesla-will-most-likely-begin-computer-chip-upgrades-this-year/

Joshan | 7 août 2019

Elon Musk
@elonmusk
Anyone who purchased full self-driving will get FSD computer upgrade for free. This is the only change between Autopilot HW2.5 & HW3. Going forward “HW3” will just be called FSD Computer, which is accurate. No change to vehicle sensors or wire harness needed. This is v important.

Joshan | 7 août 2019

Elon Musk
@elonmusk
Anyone who purchased full self-driving will get FSD computer upgrade for free. This is the only change between Autopilot HW2.5 & HW3. Going forward “HW3” will just be called FSD Computer, which is accurate. No change to vehicle sensors or wire harness needed. This is v important.

vmulla | 7 août 2019

@joshan,

That settles it.

BTW I agree that customer service and outreach should step up their game. Not everyone has the time to follow Twitter. If you're asking a customer to upgrade then please share relevent details that remove doubt and give clarity. The email just repeats what EAP can do, and adds - enjoy future fsd features.
And not everyone is getting that email.

Selling is not customer service and falls under sales.

JustSaying | 7 août 2019

Not sure when Full, FSD will be available but this feature is what I paid for...
"Get access to current convenience features and future Full Self-Driving features to continually increase the capability of your Tesla over time"

vmulla | 7 août 2019

Call it what you want and organize it anyway. Here's something I noticed, when someone has a question folks are directed to a non-Tesla source for info. What's that about?

Most people who would like to know about Tesla would expect to find that info in the Tesla website.

Even this current example, we have info from forums, news bits, Twitter and whatever else ... Just not from Tesla.com.

Unless someone is tuned in, or if they're the lucky ones who got the email they just wouldn't know.

Customer service, sales, outreach, public relations or whatever else you call it, it's bad.

And it's not this one time either.

Case in point would be this forum, ironically :) Does Tesla care about this aspect?

Tesla does things different. Getting free press through controversy is a tool they use often ; ).

vmulla | 7 août 2019

Except customers are left in the dark about offers that a they're eligible for, have little official knowledge of what to expect - that's a recipe for resentment.

But you know, that's just one person's opinion.

jpelura3 | 7 août 2019

I'm a little confused. I took delivery October of 2018 and bought EAP. I currently have Navigate on AP and Summon. I understand that 3K will get me full self driving at some point in the future, but will I lose NOAP and Summon if I don't upgrade? And since I have EAP will I get Enhanced Summon if I don't upgrade?

Some customers may be put off but demand is not suffering. Think soup nazi. Great product overcomes perceptions propagated by a few and the FUD they promote.

koreuter | 7 août 2019

Has anyone pressed the "Purchase" link at the bottom of the email? When I selected the link it opened my Tesla account to the manage my car page and the "Tesla Referral Program". Nowhere on that page or anywhere else on their site can I find where I can upgrade my car to FSD. I'm here because I could not contact or chat with anyone at Tesla about this matter, just like others have experienced this thread.

DesignArt | 7 août 2019

When you purchase full self-driving, I assume the mobile service will install the FSD computer upgrade?

Joshan | 7 août 2019

look at the other thread, 2 people posted step by step instructions

Joshan | 7 août 2019

@DesignArt yes but not until end of Q4

koreuter | 7 août 2019

Thanks Joshan

Prashanthsharma | 7 août 2019

$3k for vaporware ? No thanks. Thats what I said when I bought my LR w/ EAP in April 2018. I was also a first day 10am reservation holder

Anyone who says HW3 is not vaporware, please explain to me if/how it improves EAP performance/ experience.

Given the poor performance of EAP around corners, at speed, on uneven roads and w/ unclear lane markings, I have strong reservations about Tesla's ability to deliver FSD in any meaningful timeframe.

If / when its actually delivered and if it actually performs as expected, I'd be happy to pay for it. But until then I'll keep my money, thank you very much.

Joshan | 7 août 2019

I will be waving to you as I drive by on FSD /wave

EVRider | 7 août 2019

@Wanderer: Thanks for posting the e-mail. That doesn't say the FSD discount for EAP owners will expire on August 16 -- we were already told the price of FSD will increase ~$1,000 on that date, so I take the e-mail to mean EAP owners will start paying $4,000 (not $7,000) like everyone else.

For others asking about the FSD price last year: we took delivery of both a Model S and Model 3 in December, and in both cases there was no option to add FSD when ordering, but it could be added post-delivery for $5,000. I actually negotiated with the local service center to add FSD to my Model S (post-delivery) for $3,000, and when Tesla temporarily offered FSD for $2,000 to people with EAP, I jumped on that for the Model 3. In both cases we paid $5,000 for EAP when ordering the car.

EVRider | 7 août 2019

Bad parenthesis placement, I meant "will start paying $4,000 (not $7,000 like everyone else)."

waynekwal | 7 août 2019

I am in the same boat on wondering how I actually buy the upgrade. The email link went to the main account page, not somewhere useful.

Pages