Forums

No confirmation lane change : is it supposed to work on EAP cars?

No confirmation lane change : is it supposed to work on EAP cars?

Hi,

I couldn’t find an answer easily online. My car is a Sept ‘18 LR RWD with EAP enabled but no FSD purchased (yet).

I have the option for no confirm lane change, have turned it on.

However it still wants me to nudge the steering wheel whenever it wants to change lanes in Navigation with AP mode enabled.

What am I missing?

Joshan | 9 août 2019

your hands are always supposed to be on the wheel per Tesla, If they are you wont have to nudge anything. If your hands are not on the wheel it will make sure you are ignoring the road and texting before it will change lanes.

Joshan | 9 août 2019

NOT ignoring the road*

Magic 8 Ball | 9 août 2019

Nags are to make sure there is a driver. Yes, you are supposed to have hands on wheel but technically not necessary until a nag prompts you.

Joshan | 9 août 2019

it will always prompt you for Lane Changes though M8B even if your hands came off the wheel 1 second ago.

andy.connor.e | 9 août 2019

Not paying attention while driving even on EAP will result in more articles indicating "Another Tesla crash while on autopilot". Is it really that difficult to not screw around with your damn phone while driving?

Did that change recently? I had it do lane changing in NOA without hands on, I am pretty sure.

Joshan | 9 août 2019

mine never has since the day they put in no confirmation. If my hands are not on the wheel is just drives with the turn signal on. I have to let it "know" I am active before it will actually change the lane.

Hmm, time for me to go for a drive later.

Joshan | 9 août 2019

My settings are "no confirmation required" and "vibrate the wheel" for alerting

I will report back later this afternoon.

hokiegir1 | 9 août 2019

"No confirmation" is a bit of a misnomer. You aren't confirming the change -- but you are confirming that you are paying attention and that the way is clear as the car thinks it is to proceed.

Joshan | 9 août 2019

exactly correct Hokiegirl and what I experience myself. I am ok with that for now.

It that in addition to normal nags? I.E. if you just got nagged and the car initiates a lane change on its own using say NOA, does it require you to put hands on wheel as confirmation again?

hokiegir1 | 9 août 2019

I can't say for sure, since I rarely see nags because of how I hold the wheel. I also wasn't a fan of the "no confirmation" setup because it likes to get out of the left lane when I'm moving faster than the right lane and no one is behind me -- so I disabled it after some test periods.

Tronguy | 9 août 2019

Hm. When that option to change lanes without confirmation came out, the SO and I gave it a whirl, albeit with the vibration notification bit. It worked. But, at the time, around these parts, the NoA seems to be a little weird: Going into the left lane when there was no traffic in front, then going back into the center lane, and maybe later repeating the process. So, we went back and have stayed with the confirmation. It still sometimes, but not as often, tries for that left lane with no reason. And, FWIW (and I've filed bug reports) it has problems with certain interchanges where the navigation wants one to go to the left but the NoA wants one to go to the right. Or vice versa, depending upon the interchange. Seems to be related to those types of interstates that have both express lanes and local lanes, but I don't know.
There's been two or three updates since then so I suppose the confirmations, or lack thereof, may have changed.

82bert | 9 août 2019

It’s definitely more sensitive to your hands on the wheel. That’s why it feels like you don’t need to as much now M8B.

I am pretty sure when we first got lane change and NOA I did not have to have my hands on the wheel at all while it did it's magic. But I can be wrong or I may be mistaken about being wrong : ).

82bert | 9 août 2019

This is one where you’re wrong. It always wanted a touch of torque to confirm you’re paying attention.

82bert | 9 août 2019

It’s possible you just always had provided the torque without even realizing it.

Joshan | 9 août 2019

I gotta agree with 82

Like I said I was not sure, probably had my normal fingertips on wheel and it did its thing.

82bert | 9 août 2019

For sure. That’s usually why it’s not even an issue for me. My hand is at the same position throughout my drive.

You are not trying hard enough, this has potential for a 3 page back and forth, don't give up so easy.

82bert | 9 août 2019

Didn’t mean for my post to come off douchey. Ha. Just clarifying for others.

82bert | 9 août 2019

Haha

Not douchey at all. I can be pushed back on successfully by those worthy.

syclone | 9 août 2019

I've noticed that the weight of my touch on the wheel needs to be lighter, compared to several months ago. It's at the point that when my hand is resting on the wheel during a sharp turn, the car will pop out of auto pilot if I don't ease up on the pressure as the wheel changes.

syclone | 9 août 2019

@82bert: Just as an aside: I never thought douche could be used as an adverb.

hokiegir1 | 9 août 2019

@syclone - With our car, when that happens, it's an indicator that we need an alignment. We also notice that the car will "bounce" between the lines more, like it has trouble centering itself. If those are the case, you might get yours checked.

RedShift | 9 août 2019

It is supposed to NOT ask for confirmation Mr Andy.
Don’t assume I am ‘screwing around with my phone’.

@hokiegirl
Even if I confirmed just a second before that my hands are on the wheel, it insists on knowing my hands are there the moment it wants to change lanes, effectively making it ‘confirmed lane change’.

I wars asking because I saw a YouTube video demo of this feature and the car was changing lanes without confirmation.

https://youtu.be/3ZqAX75MKj8

Joshan | 9 août 2019

well in the real world you have to confirm and always have. If you prompt the lane change yourself, your hands off the wheel the entire time is fine.

Joshan | 9 août 2019

@HokieGirl was 100% right. The confirmation is not for the lane change, its that you are awake and attentive. If your hand is on the wheel it will auto lane change with no conformation as it is supposed to.

82bert | 9 août 2019

@syclone. Most definitely it can. Ha.

Videos seems to show what I remember. Hands off wheel, blinker on, change lane with hand still off wheel.

RedShift | 9 août 2019

Yeah so why can’t I get THAT. :-)

Did you watch the video and confirm the video shows something different that what you get? Check the settings the guy uses in the video.

Joshan | 9 août 2019

patience young grasshoppa

(if idiots wouldn;t sleep in the backseat and post it on YouTube you wouldst have to now)

walnotr | 9 août 2019

I have had to keep a torque on the wheel even with lane confirmation off. All the change lane confirmation means is you must acknowledge the lane change with the turn stalk (or pressing down on the shifter). No confirmation means that step is no longer required but you must still maintain torque on the wheel before the lane change will happen. If torque is not detected shortly after the turn signal comes on, the display starts the blue flash to get your attention. Once the lane change starts, hands can come back off the wheel for awhile.

RedShift | 9 août 2019

Ok that’s fine then, Tesla didn’t single me out to make the confirmation requirement for the non-confirm feature :/)

I’m just looking for comfort on this board, that’s all. :-D

I don’t really care all that much for the auto lane change. It’s too ‘strict’ : don’t want to be in passing lane too long, etc etc..

I prefer AP but not NOA most of the time.

Joshan | 9 août 2019

it "seems" like you can get away with less torque on the steering wheel if you set it to Sport Mode.

steveishere | 9 août 2019

I used NoA for my drive from Salt Lake City to Reno; I have to apply torque on the wheel every time the the car does an automatic lane change. The nudge is slightly different than normal nudges from TACC in that, I can acknowledge normal nudges with changing the volume, but not for NoA lane change nudges. Kinda annoying since the car sometimes exits auto-steer if I apply too much torque, but I sure they got reasons for this feature...

Just got back from drive. As soon as blinker came on I took hands off wheel and car changed lanes on its own. This was not for passing other cars it was for when lane splits and also exits.

Joshan | 9 août 2019

when the blinker came on was the check.

mikes | 9 août 2019

I use the audio warning for lane changes. You'll hear the bell and it shows up on the screen, right at that time it is looking for hands on wheel! If it senses that you're holding the wheel it will then complete the lane change if possible (no other cars in the way). It just makes sure you're there. Since all of you hold the wheel at all times it is considered no confirmation needed as you don't have to take your hands off and touch the turn signal stalk or the touch screen.

I am still not following, I don't think I did anything to confirm lane change. I had hand on wheel to avoid normal nags but I did nothing in addition to confirm lane change. I saw a lane split coming up and took my hands off before blinker came on then blinker came on and car changed lanes on its own. BTW it had trouble on that lane split before but did it flawlessly this time.

Joshan | 9 août 2019

have your hands on your lap and wait for it. not on the wheel. Otherwise I cannot explain but it sounds like everyone else who has chimed in sees the same ting as me.

Joshan | 9 août 2019

you also cannot just roll the wheel to dismiss it, it HAS to be hands on the wheel.

Yes, my hands were completely off the wheel before blinker and it still changed lanes. Did you watch the video in an earlier post where the person also claims no confirmation by putting torque on the wheel for lane change? I watched the video and it looks to me he did not put any torque on the wheel and had similar experience to mine. I did not confirm if it does it for passing other cars but for exits and lane splits it seems to work hands off for me.

steveishere | 9 août 2019

@Magic 8 Ball
I recorded a video an hour ago that hopefully illustrate what I (and possibly Joshan) see.

https://youtu.be/oC93nwyqnH4

I was on NoA with lane change confirmation turned OFF. The car was driving at second lane about .5 miles from exit. At t=0:27 of the video, NoA issued a lane change. The nudge immediately kicks in, with the blue flash appearing immediately. Until this point, what I saw was the same as t=3:33 from RedShift's video.

The blue blinker from RedShift's video almost immediately goes away, allowing NoA to change lane when the lane is cleared. Mine, however, stays all the way until I apply torque to the steering wheel (after my video ends). Furthermore, as you can see at t=29 of my video, scrolling the volume wheel does not get the blue blinker away.

@steveishere I think I may have had an epileptic episode watching the strobe glare coming from your screen. In short are you saying you cannot duplicate what RedShift shows or are you saying he is confirming and is mistaken? My experience is I can have hand off wheel, blinker goes on and it changes lane all with hand off wheel. I think I see RedShift doing same or do you disagree?

Pages