Forums

Acoustic foam?

Acoustic foam?

Quick question.... In another forum, there is "talk" that the Tesla tire repair kit (compressor with slime canister) wouldn't work on a Tesla model whose tires have Tesla acoustic foam... Is this BS or real? If real, how would you really know?
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/3923890/

jebinc | 14 août 2019

This turns out to be true. The Tesla tire repair kit doesn't work with the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires that most M3's come with, yet Tesla doesn't disclose that. So, I guess I can still use the compressor... Bought this high quality plug kit to add to the tire repair kit and jack pads in the trunk.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083IAO5M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

M3phan | 14 août 2019

Is it that it actually doesn’t work at all on the OEM tires, or that you can do it but it just ruins the tire and you need to replace it when you take it in?

jebinc | 14 août 2019

@m3phan - Both are reported in the link provided above.

M3phan | 14 août 2019

Well that sucks.
Glad I have a plug kit...
Actually do like having the compressor part though.

jordanrichard | 14 août 2019

Jebinc, Tesla wouldn’t sell a tire kit is it didn’t work on the tires it puts not their cars. I am a 5+ yr Model S owner and Michelin Primacys have been the standard issue tire. Modern tire sealers don’t “ruin” the tires, but the tire shops will tell you that because they want to sell you a new tire. In previous cars, I have due tire sealant twice, both times the shop tried selling me another tire vs repair the hole. I told them to just fix the leak and I never had an issue with the tires afterwards.

As for what the sealant does for tires with foam in them, I don’t know about that. I can see it causing a problem because the goop/sealant is meant to be flung around the tire as you drive. With a foam liner, I can see that impeding an even spread of sealant.

Nakid | 14 août 2019

I recently picked up a sheet metal screw. I plugged the tire with a standard plug kit and topped it off with air. It's been holding just fine for a week now. I'm not a fan of tire sealant because working at a motorcycle shop, Ive had to clean up the mess left by them.

eztider | 14 août 2019

If you plug the tire, remove the foam. Otherwise, it will soon separate and bunch up inside the tire, causing it to wobble.

gmr6415 | 15 août 2019

I just had a tire repaired at a Michelin warranty shop. They cut out enough foam to patch and plug the tire and then glued that section of foam back in.

They said that Michelin now requires a special patch that includes an integral plug or it voids the warranty. As a result they are requiring that you patch and plug the tire with their one-piece patch/plug.

The plug portion has a pointed metal cover that's removed once it's pulled through the hole from the outside leaving just the rubber portion to be cut off even with the tire tread. The patch portion patches the hole from the inside.

Pictures below:

https://ibb.co/NVzRSBW

As for the topic of the Tesla tire repair kit when I purchased mine (August of 2018) there was no statement about it damaging the tire. In fact it specifically stated it was compatible with acoustical tires. The latest updated statement now states it's only a temporary fix...nothing about it requiring tire replacement after use as it once stated.

ODWms | 15 août 2019

Gmr, is that plug/patch able to be used roadside, or do you have to have the tire removed to use it? I can’t imagine how the patch portion would work with the acoustical material.

SalisburySam | 15 août 2019

Another issue with goop: the TPMS unit in the tire. Some posts in other fora say the slime ruins the sensors, others disagree. No 1st-hand knowledge, but I’m in the camp with the plug and compressor.

gmr6415 | 15 août 2019

@ODWms, it's used from inside the tire after the tire is removed from the rim and a piece of the foam (acoustical material) must be removed for the repair and then glued back in place after the patch is applied from the inside.

The guy who worked on mine used a small punch from the outside of the tire, pushing it through the nail hole to penetrate the foam, so he would know where a small section of the foam would need to be removed.

After installing the plug/patch he used rubber cement to glue the section of foam previously removed back in place. After the repair when they checked the balance of the tire it was still in balance. That was about a month ago and all is still good.

ODWms | 16 août 2019

Awesome, Gmr. Good to hear.

Sparky | 16 août 2019

On a related note; if you change out your tires is there someplace to buy acoustic foam to insert into new tires to keep road noise down?

gmr6415 | 16 août 2019

@Sparky, There are a few manufacturers that make tires with acoustical foam in them. I don't think that would be a DIY project.

Some here have used tires that aren't acoustical as replacements and seem to be fine with them. That's not a recommendation...just what others have said.

jebinc | 16 août 2019

@gmr6415 - As an EV, we are running these tires at a much higher PSI (~45psi), so I would think you would want to replace with an acoustic equivalent. Any tire will be noisy at those PSI levels, no?

gmr6415 | 16 août 2019

@jebinc, "Any tire will be noisy at those PSI levels, no?"

Exactly why I stated this is NOT a recommendation, just what others here have reported here.

I would personally use acoustical tires.

Sparky | 16 août 2019

@gmr6415; Thanks! I'm thinking of replacing the originals with Nokians and I'm not sure if they have an acoustic foam option but I'll look into it.