Forums

Model S plaid crushes Taycan nurburgring time as per witnesses

Model S plaid crushes Taycan nurburgring time as per witnesses

SamO | 17 septembre 2019

7:23 embarrassing the Porsche and likely cutting their sales in half. I think the official time is likely faster, but today that time puts Tesla at the 22nd fastest time.

For people who “want the best” EV, why would you buy a Taycan also-ran? Hand stitching maybe, but not because you need the fastest or best handling sport sedan.

SamO | 17 septembre 2019

Here’s a link for those that don’t want tomfeedmthe click-bait beast at electrek

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-nurburgring-lap-time-vs-porsche-...

Boonedocks | 17 septembre 2019

Beat the Taycan by 20 seconds!!! Wow not even in the same league.....but I’m sure a Darth will have some reason to dispute it....even Porsche’s test was done in a non-production car as well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Silver2K | 17 septembre 2019

Updated link.

Thanks, SamO!

Hey maybe the $300k Taycan twin turbo s can keep up.

TabascoGuy | 17 septembre 2019

I tried to warn Darth not to bet against Elon once he says "Hold my beer".

Darthamerica | 17 septembre 2019

Why would I be upset when I told you about Model S Plaid Mode coming in a year? But I think you all may want to calm down a bit and do a little research on what Nurburgring lap is during industry pool and for official record. Here’s hint... it’s shorter!

carlk | 17 septembre 2019

Everyone just ignore Dumboamerica. All he got in his hands are craps you don't want to get close to him.

neezer | 17 septembre 2019

Click on the following link (and translate the page to English/whatever you need), details contained within on the plans upcoming ...
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/elektroauto/tesla-model-s-vs-porsche...

Mathew98 | 17 septembre 2019

"It doesn't count because the MS has 7 seats and doesn't have Turbo mode. The MS technically has 5 doors so the Trashcan record for 4 doors EV still holds..."

"Oh, oh, oh, since the MS doesn't have a backup engine or powered by Fool Cells, it really can't measure up."

@Darth is good at throwing shade but not good at eating humble pie. He keeps trowing out the Taycan #'s as real yet that car was NOT a production car either. Now it'll be a waiting game because you can't convince a delusional person that they are delusional.......

jimglas | 17 septembre 2019

Well, the taycan looks faster and its a turbo

Looks there is another "plaid" Model S. It's blue instead of the red one we've seen. It has 100 badge and even CA HOV stickers on the bumper. The spy photographer timed it at ~7:23 too.

https://www.motor1.com/news/371339/tesla-model-s-nurburgring/

@Boondocks there's nothing to be humble about except for those here who don't realize the run is shorter than the one Porsche did. I'm the one who first posted about this Plaid version and that it would take a year. This isn't breaking news.

Bighorn | 17 septembre 2019

Who knew that trolls could jump sharks?

From what I've heard, Laguna Seca is no nurburgring..

I bet he will beat the Taycan with the X plaid next :)

SamO | 17 septembre 2019

Darth told everyone Taycan's record would be falling in 1 week . . . oh wait . . . that was me.

lulz

jimglas | 17 septembre 2019

Darth is still making excuses for the turbo

PrescottRichard | 17 septembre 2019

Are they gonna run a production Raven S as well? Because I thought this might get us back to being a Tesla board and it didn’t work. Maybe a Raven getting a decent time will :)

Seriously, don’t you think a Raven will give the Taycan a run for the money? A run for even LESS money actually.

No, Raven is still limited by the powertrain, chassis and cooling.

And the Darth will certainly start crying when this happens:

Viv. @flcnhvy
1h
I guess new Roadster will easily beat the all time record of 6:44.97s?

Elon Musk @elonmusk Replying to @flcnhvy and @Teslarati
:Absolutely

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1173993720296787969?s=20

SFEVER | 17 septembre 2019

Well, that didn't take long. Laguna Seca and now Nurburgring! Mic drop moment

Not Nurburing record lap... The distance was shorter and none of this is official record testing.

But..but...but...

Everyone knows it's not official. Stop making excuses for Porsche, sit back, and, enjoy the ride. More to follow...

It's not only that it's not official, the run was shorter and the car isn't production. It's still impressive but not the same thing. We have a year or so to wait...

Or a few days when they make a legitimate attempt at a timed lap.

egonzo21 | 17 septembre 2019

I shouldn't poke the bear...........but................I believe the Taycan also just ran on the 12.9 mile Nürburgring (Nordschleife)..........or the "shorter track" as stated above........not the full Ring.......and at the time the car was not in production...............Also.............. according to Car and Driver, Nürburgring Nordschleife "record-chasing runs are a universally accepted, objective measure of a car’s performance."

Sure but it wouldn't be a production spec'd car so it's good marketing for whenever Plaid comes but the Taycan will still hold the edge for Production 4 door EV. Besides the lap is not the same on industry pool days. Tesla needs to do an official lap with a production spec car.

@Ego the Porsche was production spec which is why the record was awarded. They add harnesses and bolt on roll bars for driver safety but otherwise they car is what it is. Otherwise you don't get the record for that category.

I still think a Raven S could beat the Taycan by a second or so.

A Raven X is prolly not gonna beat it.

egonzo21 | 17 septembre 2019

You are correct, we'll just need to wait and see until Telsa has an official lap with a production spec car on the books. However, this seems extraordinarily promising, no? Either way we all win, let the manufacturers fight I say.

@ego absolutely right and the point of all of my post. For a racer, once the "Tesla grin" wears off, you want more. Tesla didn't have much reason to work on that until now. Porsche has built a fantastic EV sports car. Now it's up to Tesla to meet or beat it. So yes a win for everyone.

At least we've put to bed the crazy notion that Tesla doesn't have the technical prowess to build a sedan capable of endurance racing. They apparently have crushed it and it's just the beginning of records falling. Will be fun to see the Roadster set the overall track record.

RedShift | 17 septembre 2019

@darth

Taycan is not a sports car. A sports car by definition has 2 doors and RWD as basic setup.

Taycan is a sport sedan.

For a supposed racer (who nevertheless cannot name the most challenging turn on Laguna Seca) you should have known this.

I've never laid eyes on Laguna Seca and I think I probably know the most challenging turn.

Leguna Seca is not a secret... And doing it in a car is child's play compared to doing so on two wheels...

@darth

And you seem to have done neither. Right, Darth?

jfemd.va.us | 17 septembre 2019

The article in Car and Driver mentions that Tesla may have reserved the Nürburgring Saturday evening. Then they could do the official lap, hopefully with both the stripped plaid Model S as well as a current production Raven performance. Hopefully the production model could avoid limp mode.

TranzNDance | 17 septembre 2019

I think throwing in two more seats would be show boating. Let's throw in some extra weight that could only hurt the results that are going to be awesome anyway.

AIA304 | 17 septembre 2019

What’s the MOST challenging turn on Laguna Seca ?

Isn’t it an open ended question, depending on the car, driver, and their skill level with that car ?

With that said, what I think is a ‘more important’ question for us drivers at each racetrack is.

What’s the MOST important turn ?

I know what’s the most important turn on Laguna, and SearsPoint is....and most drivers ‘should’ probably reply the same.

Now that single lap times are in, can EV’s go for a complete race without issues? Or even a short 20 min HPDE open track session.

Not siding with anyone here. We should all agree competition is good for everyone, and bad for ICE cars in the long run. Long live EV’s.

Best of days to you all....

sklancha | 17 septembre 2019

Ego's and pride aside, the best outcome on a race between Porsche and Tesla this weekend, is for Porsche to edge out Tesla or at least come in close to Tesla's times. That would get some blood pumping and bring positive attention to the EV world.

Oh, the blood’s already pumping, believe me.

You’ll see. Once the Raven S runs that circuit. I bet it’ll be like 1 - 10 seconds faster.

SamO | 17 septembre 2019

I think we can all agree that Tesla makes the best and fastest track cars.

lol

C'mon SamO that would be like claiming Porsche makes the best EVs lol

SamO | 17 septembre 2019

Huh? Short-range EV crapmobiles for twice the price? Almost like buying a Chevy Bolt.

Lulz.

C'mon Bolt has more range than that crapmobile.

And Taycan is the highest performance EV you can buy.

Pages