Forums

California EV rebate program for 2020 vehicles

California EV rebate program for 2020 vehicles

Question for California owners or anyone with a 2020 year Tesla:

Just took delivery of my Model X (10/23/19), its a 2020 year model. I can't apply for the California rebate program as the application does not recognize my VIN# and the 2020 Tesla's have not been approved yet. The agent at CVRP also mentioned that by December, vehicles with an MSRP greater than $60,000 will no longer qualify for the rebate, which means all Model S/X owners. Am I just shit out of luck with applying for the rebate at this point? The California state incentives are still being advertised on the Tesla website...

Anyone else with the same issue?

Tropopause | 1 novembre 2019

So much for CA's claim they will subsidize the Fed's tax credit phase-out. Now CA won't even qualify Model S or X if OP's claim is true.

I found out, the hard way, that CA only issues two (2) rebates per individual. My third Tesla did not qualify. Where does CA think my used Teslas go? If CA really cared about the environment they'd be expanding not contracting the program.

At this point I wish the Fed's and states would simply eliminate the entire process. It punishes the trailblazers in EV market.

rxlawdude | 2 novembre 2019

@Tropo, and to add insult to injury, HOV lanes are clogged with plug-ion hybrid Mercedes and BMWs with dual exhausts and likely are never plugged in.

While older, clean BEVs sit in the main lanes. This, I don't understand from a public policy standpoint.

Mike83 | 3 novembre 2019

It sucks. The incentive for H2 cars should also be stopped. There are still fossil fuel pundits in CA. I've written to CARB and more people should protest.

andy.connor.e | 4 novembre 2019

One comment on each day this month. Heres one for the 4th.

TeslaTap.com | 4 novembre 2019

Program changes take effect 3-Dec-19.

@Tropopause - You might still be eligible. If you got a rebate before 2015, it doesn't count in the 2 car limit. Here are the details: https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/eligibility-guidelines

One small positive CA change, the qualifications for the HOA lane require a larger battery. The light plug-in hybrids will no longer qualify.

Mike83 | 4 novembre 2019

TT. That is true. We were able to get 3 rebates. Thanks for the info.

adamvip | 4 novembre 2019

Have they even funded the account again since it ran out last time? I was approved back in August but they sent an email saying I was on a wait list for funding.

If they dont fund it you may not be missing out on anything.

@adamvip - I can't remember where the funding comes from, but it is not the general fund or something that has to be voted on. It's been this way for years - they use up the funding and a bunch more money comes in. If approved, I'm confident you'll get it, just not sure how quickly.

Tropopause | 4 novembre 2019

TT-

Thanks for the info about the 2015 cutoff date.

My first Tesla was delivered 12/31/2014, however the rebate was issued in 2015 so I believe I don't qualify. What are your thoughts?

Uncle Paul | 4 novembre 2019

California was refunded a month or so ago.

Wait list has been cleared.

@Tropopause - My guess is it related to the rebate issued date, but since you're on the edge, I'd dig into the details - perhaps it's when the car was delivered, but I sort of doubt it.

jarrodt86 | 5 novembre 2019

You would think this would give Tesla a reason to make CA deliveries a priority to those of us who have ordered an S/X.

liangrichard | 5 novembre 2019

I think the reality is that many of us aren't going to be able to apply for the California rebate in time. I just hope Elon will cover the tax credit difference like he did at the end of 2018. The fact that the CA tax incentives is advertised on their website to entice buyers is pretty messed up

jarrodt86 | 5 novembre 2019

@liangrichard Right?! Super shady. But apparently the delivery centers in California were told about the rebate changes this weekend but they will not be making any adjustments, at this moment at least. My SA was able to find a demo unit with 90 miles in my exact config today after hearing my concerns BUT it’s a 2019. No way am I touching that without a huge discount.

viratkhanna9999 | 8 novembre 2019

I can't remember where the funding comes from, but it is not the general fund or something that has to be voted on. It's been this way for years - they use up the funding and a bunch more money comes in. If approved, I'm confident you'll get it, just not sure how quickly. https://www.telldunkin.vip/

jarrodt86 | 8 novembre 2019

Tesla updated the ordering pages for CA buyers. The CA Clean Air Rebate is no longer factored in.

BUT they still mislead customers into making orders with the incentive in mind.

TeslaTap.com | 8 novembre 2019

@jarrodt86 - Why should they hide incentives? The very first and very top option on the order page is to see the cash price or the value "Include potential savings". I don't see this as misleading as it may make the difference as to affordability or not.

No matter what is selected, at the bottom, in fairly large print is the purchase price as you go through the order process. I don't know how they could be clearer.

Why? Because the incentive doesn’t exist. At least not in a real way since CA owners will not take delivery until the second half of December as is being reported by the delivery center from multiple sources.

‘Potential’ means you have a chance. They continued to have the incentive listed after they were made aware of the rule change. Don’t play stupid bud.

NKYTA | 8 novembre 2019

“jarrodt86L”

My guess is you need to go down to the Audi Stealership and “make a deal”.

Silly.

jarrodt86 | 9 novembre 2019

@NKYTA

Nice ‘joke’ boomer, or whatever that was.

jimglas | 9 novembre 2019

@jerrod: Whats a "stupid bud"
Is that what you call MJ?

TeslaTap.com | 9 novembre 2019

@jarrodt86 - Potential is the best way to state it. Some customers will buy an inventory car before the CA change and some will buy a Model 3 that is well below the $60K threshold. And there is still the federal credit that is good to the end of the year. And then there are many incentives in other states too.

No matter the incentive, it is wise to understand the qualifications if you hope to take advantage of them. That's why they are potential and not guaranteed incentives.

Uncle Paul | 9 novembre 2019

Tesla probably heard about the change about the same time we did on the forum.

Don't believe that Ca. gave Tesla advanced warning on this change, as the intent is to reduce the payouts. Giving Tesla time to flood more cars into Ca. would not have been what the State wanted.

Tesla has a history of working like crazy to get as many eligible vehicles delivered as possible to meet various deadlines. Imagine they will do the same here, but had little notice.

jarrodt86 | 9 novembre 2019

@teslatap.com That is a much better way of stating the current scenario. And while agree, this issue is strictly limited to CA at the moment.

@Uncle Paul I absolutely believe Tesla was caught off guard by this but still feel they should have done a better job reacting to the situation. They have gotten better over time but still fall short. As long as I receive the purchase agreement within the 14 days after Dec 3rd I should be good. As per the federal tax incentive, I am not at all worried about that.