Forums

HW3 Upgrade

HW3 Upgrade

I brought my model S (2019) with a build date this summer and was told they're upgrading the HW2.5 to HW3. I actually thought I was already on HW3 since my car was already a raven build. It will be interesting to see if I notice anything different with this new hardware.

EVRider | 14 novembre 2019

HW3 definitely went into production before Raven (late March for HW3, late April for Raven), so all Raven cars should have HW3. Ask the service center to check that before they start taking things apart for no reason.

kubh | 15 novembre 2019

I purchased my Tesla S in Sept. 2018. I paid $3000 for FSD. I am waiting for the HW3 free upgrade. No word yet about when!

david_gelfand | 15 novembre 2019

I purchased my M3 with FSD in Jan 18 & tried to schedule HW3 update about 6 months ago. I got an appointment but 2 weeks later Tesla cancelled my scheduled appointment and informed me I must wait for my 2 year service date, I.e., in Jan 2020!

johnrhodeshaley | 16 novembre 2019

I had my 2018 75D upgraded yesterday to HW3. Took 3 hours, went smooth. I did notice that FSD was a little smoother and of course the cones.

SolarS | 16 novembre 2019

"I had my 2018 75D upgraded yesterday to HW3."

Can you tel me a little bit about that? Did you have to schedule it yourself or did they contact you? I guess you were already on MCU2. Did they change your cameras?

Thank you!

Yodrak. | 16 novembre 2019

"I had my 2018 75D upgraded yesterday to HW3."

How did you arrange to have it done?

Zsyed | 17 novembre 2019

Question for you folks, do you think HW3 will be added to 2017 Model S?

burdogg | 17 novembre 2019

HW3 should go all the way down to Dec 2016 models. I purchased FSD on my Dec 2016 Model X. The only way for that purchase to truly come to fruition is to have HW3 :) So yes...HW3 is supposed to be for all 2017 models (and some in 2016 - anything with AP 2.0 hardware)

Now the big million dollar question? WHEN? Yes...my car is almost 3 years old now and still nothing that was sold to me as far as FSD is on the car yet (yes all the features we have now were touted as part of the THEN Enhanced Autopilot.) So again - will those early FSD purchasers every see this HW3 and FSD??? yes I made a mistake and was sold on a souped up video in Oct 2016 showing FSD at work - making those of us purchasing then believe that yes within a year or so there would be FSD features...Mark me a fool. Not anti tesla - and not sue happy - but really am surprised that no one has gone after them for that video and FSD purchases back then...

Bighorn | 17 novembre 2019

They started rolling out in early September or before.

Bighorn - do you know how one goes about getting the HW3 upgrade? Sure would be nice for them to throw bones to their initial buyers of the system and call them in to replace :)

throw a bone :) throw bones hmmm

Bighorn | 17 novembre 2019

Concomitant with other service work or a staged roll out is my understanding. They don’t need people clamoring for just that.

Thanks ;)

I understand everyone wants it now :) But sure would be nice to start with the oldest purchasers first to show them a big thanks....but doubt it will happen that way :) As long as I am not at the tail end of getting it then all is good - I don't have to be first :)

nwfan | 17 novembre 2019

My understanding based on VIN.
Two stages on install. Stage 1 early purchasers with
necessary HW for update.
Stage 2 all of us purchased during fire sale and later.

I haven't heard of any Model 3's getting update yet.
Will ask around on Thursday during my 2nd annual Model S service
visit. Supposely I'm pencil in for HW3 on my HW2.5 S100D this week.

In the DFW area all the HW3 upgrades are being done at Service Centers.
Don't know of any Ranger installs.

EVRider | 18 novembre 2019

At this point the only additional feature that HW3 provides is traffic cone detection and visualization.

mferrazano | 18 novembre 2019

Model S HW2.0 delivery 12.2016 with FSD, so one of the first with HW2.0. Just scheduled 3 year maintenance (including replace HEPA filter) and specifically noted "update to HW3 hardware" in the Sunnyvale SC. Lets see what happens.

TeslaTap.com | 18 novembre 2019

@mferrazano - That would be great news. I had heard from other posters that Tesla hadn't quite figured out how to make MCU1 and HW3.0 AP processor work together. I was planning to do a few 3-year maintenance items at Sunnyvale in the next two months.

mferrazano | 18 novembre 2019

odd thing, first time I scheduled appointment, I listed "three year maintenance and including HEPA filter" and I was forwarded to the mobile service page for appointment. I went back and simply added "upgrade to HW3 hardware" and it then sent me to SC appointment page. Not sure if that means anything.

Mike83 | 18 novembre 2019

I was told that you don't have to do the 3rd year maintenance in the third year; you can do it later. They seemed to have changed the requirements. This is good for those of us who paid for 4 service appointments.
Considering HW3 upgrade when they do the new AI chip for out prepaid FSD. I like the features in our M3 and would like it in our MS

I'm actually following my own 18-month maintenance schedule. Not putting on major miles. So my 3-year will do some 2-year items that I didn't do at 18-months.

Mike83 | 18 novembre 2019

That seems smart. I will need to do the Bio Hazard filter and may do it sooner since I have traveled through fire smoke areas. I don't know the cost yet.

DRFLGD | 18 novembre 2019

My local SC called me an outstanding bill from last year. When I got that all squared-away, I asked about the HW3 upgrade and he said I had to have purchased it and that looking at my account, I wasn't on the list. I told him I purchased FSD when I bought the car and should get it, and he said he'd look into it. Haven't heard back yet, but I better.

Called me about...

trident3 | 18 novembre 2019

Scheduled for HW3 at 8:45 today. At 2PM told will not be done till Thursday.

@trident3 - Do you have HW2.5 or HW2.0?

@DRFLGD: After Tesla redesigned the Model S vehicle details web page to match the Model 3's page design, the FSD that I had purchased post-delivery disappeared from my vehicle details. I reported the issue and after some back and forth it finally got fixed. I had to provide an invoice proving that I purchased FSD, since it wasn't on my original order.

At the same time, my annual 400kWh supercharging credit disappeared, and I had to get that resolved after Tesla started billing me for supercharging during a recent road trip. The annual credit still doesn't show up on my vehicle details page, but the unused portion appears in the mobile app's loot box (though they incorrectly label the credit as miles rather than kWh).

EV: I just checked and it says on my account details page that I have FSD. And the guy who called me seemed to indicate that I was right. It also says I have my free unlimited Supercharging, so that's good. One thing I'm not sure about is "No Battery Performance" under "Options."

I have the No Battery Performance too. Someone explained why that was there but I don’t recall the reason, but I do recall that it can be safely ignored.

Mi75d | 18 novembre 2019

@TeslaTap - all of us with FSD, HW2.0 and MCU1 are VERY interested in knowing what will happen when Tesla upgrades us to HW3.

As of right now, the FSD computer is basically a year old device. By the time my car (2017 Model S HW2.0 MCU1) will get whatever Tesla decides, it will be next year, and the FSD computer will be two years old. When was the last time you were excited about receiving a two year old computer?

I'm wondering...

1) Is Tesla delaying because the FSD computers are mostly made in China, and we have a tariff situation that increases their cost?
2) Is Tesla delaying because they don't know what to do with MCU1 HW2.0 cars - maybe the FSD computer needs a better display device or there is some problem with cabling or sensors. I've been told by Tesla service mechanics that the 2.5 cabling will make for a much more robust robotaxi.
3) Is Tesla delaying because they haven't gotten anywhere near full self-driving with the hardware they have, and they're reluctant to retrofit tens of thousands of cars without knowing if the hardware is really sufficient.

tes-s | 19 novembre 2019

Seems they are doing the HW3 upgrades now - and mobile!

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-autopilot-2-5-to-3-0-hardware-retrofit-c...

EVRider | 19 novembre 2019

@Mi75d: The most obvious reason for Tesla not widely rolling out HW3 upgrades yet is because HW3 doesn’t offer any significant benefit yet, other than the recently added traffic cone recognition. Why incur the expense of mass upgrades now?

Mike83 | 19 novembre 2019

Not so sure there are that many upgrades needed as FSD was only purchases by a low percentage of buyers a few years back. But with the recent advances it is possible more owners did purchase the FSD.

Boonedocks | 19 novembre 2019

"But with the recent advances it is possible more owners did purchase the FSD"

...and don't forget the fire sale earlier this year. I had no intentions of buying it for our X75D but when TEslon dropped the price to $2,000 for a minute I did fall for it. Didn't have much of a choice on my Raven S P+L+ as to get any real DriverAssist feature you had to go all in with FSD regardless.

rm760 | 19 novembre 2019

I just scheduled the FSD computer update via the Tesla app. I have a ranger scheduled to visit my home the first week of December.

Mi75d | 19 novembre 2019

“The most obvious reason for Tesla not widely rolling out HW3 upgrades yet is because HW3 doesn’t offer any significant benefit yet...”

Good point. Although that doesn’t jibe with Elon’s assurances that FSD will be feature complete by the end of the year.

“Why incur the expense of mass upgrades now?”

To get at the $400 million or so that they’ve collected for FSD but can’t get at because they’re not supplying FSD. (That’s electrek’s estimate, 500,000 cars sold times 40% of purchasers bought FSD times $3k per car.)

I’m partial to my answer #3, that they haven't gotten anywhere near full self-driving with the hardware they have, and they're reluctant to retrofit tens of thousands of cars without knowing if the hardware is really sufficient. Of course it’s all speculation.

TeslaTap.com | 19 novembre 2019

@Mi75d - You may have misunderstood - feature-complete doesn't mean owners will get it. This is an internal goal point. There is considerable testing and validation that will still be required before release.

FSD or some form of it for owners is not expected until the end of 2020. It will likely have some significant limitations due to regulatory requirements, although some early versions might be released earlier.

Doing the upgrades before the software is released doesn't allow Tesla to move the reservices into income. The actual software with hardware must be released.

@rm760 - Do you have HW2.0 or HW2.5? I didn't think they were doing any HW2.0 upgrades yet, but love to be wrong.

Mi75d | 19 novembre 2019

By the end of 2020 or maybe 2021, the FSD computer will be three years old. Is there even any point in looking at it or wasting time thinking about it? Surely the next rev of that hardware, which was alluded to in the Autonomy Day video, will be ready by then.

Talking about “feature complete” as something that doesn’t ship to customers, but is only an “internal goal point”, sounds like the kind of corporate bs that I hoped Tesla could do without. You could well be right, but still. I worked for enough big companies that I can recognize buzzwords that can mean anything.

Bottom line for me is that I bought my car in 2017 and I usually keep cars for ten years. I paid my $3K and I’ll wait.

As time goes on, though, I just don’t think they have the tools to make it happen. Neural nets trained with curated examples can do amazing things, but it just won’t do the entire job. IMHO, obviously.

TeslaTap.com | 19 novembre 2019

@Mi75d - Yep, and in 2030 it wil be 12 years old. Not sure it matters, so long as it works.

The validation process for cars is far longer than disposable home computers. Generally, every brand new car has computers that were designed 5-10 years ago. Tesla is a bit faster than the industry, but not by much. Tesla having its own processors is a jump over other car manufacturers.

The expectation of the next chips are 2+ years away. Then boards have to be created, tested, and software created and validated. I'd expect the next generation to appear about 4 years from now. but that's my guess. You may elect not to have HW3 installed and wait another 4 years in the hope of getting HW4. Still, Tesla has not committed to making HW4 as a retrofit, so you may only get HW3 after waiting for 4 years.

I'd have to go back to the Autonomy Day talk, but I'm about 95% sure Elon stated FSD is hoped to be delivered to customers late in 2020, whereas "feature complete" was due at the end of this year. No BS, but when taken out of context it may seem that way. Regulatory approvals are the big unknown too.

DRFLGD | 19 novembre 2019

rm760: Where was it on the app? Under "Schedule Service"?

Ohmster | 19 novembre 2019

^. I used category of 'Accessory Installation & Upgrades"

Ohmster: So you had to request it? There wasn't a "FSD/HW3 upgrade" category?

And they accommodated you?

Ohmster | 19 novembre 2019

@DRFLGD. No, no specific category for this.

Accommodate? Don't know. They accepted and confirmed the appointments (one for the S and one for the X). Will see what happens next. Just had Mobile Ranger at the house on Saturday to replace the right front headlight (fading DRL). Not sure why they just didn't do it then.

‘17 S75 + ‘17 X75D Both: Uncorked [E]AP MCU1 FSD AP2.5 Intrusion 19.36.2.1 Grin on!

rm760 | 19 novembre 2019

I have a MS P100D manufactured 10/18 with 2.5 hardware. I went into the app and scheduled service for the very last "services" labeled other. There i completed the description of wanting to have the FSD computer hardware version 3.0 installed by the Tesla ranger. I was given an appointment for 12/2. Will they replace the 2.5 hardware with 3.0? I will report back on 12/2.

DRFLGD | 20 novembre 2019

So I tried scheduling an appointment but someone got back to me and said it’s not available yet.

DRFLGD | 20 novembre 2019

Also, they said that the car will need to be left at the service center. So I doubt they can do it mobile.

TeslaTap.com | 20 novembre 2019

@DRFLGD - Do you have HW2.0 or HW2.5? As far as I can tell, no HW2.0 cars can be updated yet :(

Ohmster | 20 novembre 2019

So, I submitted requests for both the X and the S. Today, I received this after previous confirmations:

Tesla service here

We are reaching out in regards to your request for hardware 3, this has not been fully released for your vehicle. You will be contacted to schedule an appointment once it has been released.

Now I asked if this was for both cars or just one as only one of the appointments (X) was removed from the App. No response yet. This might still be happening, I guess. :)

‘17 S75 + ‘17 X75D Both: Uncorked [E]AP MCU1 FSD AP2.5 Intrusion 19.36.2.1 Grin on!

Ohmster | 20 novembre 2019

So, I submitted requests for both the X and the S. Today, I received this after previous confirmations:

Tesla service here

We are reaching out in regards to your request for hardware 3, this has not been fully released for your vehicle. You will be contacted to schedule an appointment once it has been released.

Now I asked if this was for both cars or just one as only one of the appointments (X) was removed from the App. No response yet. This might still be happening, I guess. :)

Pages