Forums

Reflection/Streak Across Windshield - Solved

Reflection/Streak Across Windshield - Solved

A couple of weeks ago I started noticing a reflection from the sun that streaks across my windshield. For the life of me I haven't been able to find the cause, or what is reflecting off the sun. Cleaning the windshield does not solve the issue.

Please check out the link below for a picture. I think you'll agree that it is annoying. The fix is probably something simple, but it is escaping me. I did do a thorough cleaning of my windshield a while back, using a clay bar and following up with a carnauba wax, per a couple of YouTube videos. Maybe it is related to that? My next step was going to be using the clay bar to remove the wax to see if that resolves the problem, but I thought I'd see if anyone here might have some other suggestion.

https://imgur.com/a/qKLsaGs

jimglas | 20 novembre 2019

its called a reflection

sentabo | 20 novembre 2019

Thanks, jimglas, that solves everything. Now tell me why I don't get it on my other Model S.

NKYTA | 20 novembre 2019

Some weird front-facing camera reflection?

EXPass card?

Weird.

EVRider | 20 novembre 2019

Looks like a reflection to me too. Does your other Model S have the same color dash and headliner? Different model years with different windshield angles?

philip.sharpe | 20 novembre 2019

It could be refraction rather than reflection. Has the windscreen been machine polished? It could be acting like a fresnel lense.

TeslaTap.com | 20 novembre 2019

Does one windshield have any coatings you've applied like Rain-X? This might explain it.

rob | 20 novembre 2019

Can you tell if the reflections are from the inside or outside of the glass? Next time you get the reflection try wiping the inside w/ a towel and see if that affects it.

I get similar annoying reflections on my windshield. Super cleaned the outside w/ razor blade Invisible Glass, MF towels etc. I found the reflection is from the inside. Which is much more difficult to clean.

I'm getting the impression from the responses that it could be related to the wax that I put on the windshield, which is supposed to work similarly to Rain-X. To troubleshoot I think I'll take a clay bar to the outside, and if that doesn't work I'll try the same on the inside. I'll report back when I can get around to doing it.

PBEndo | 20 novembre 2019

After the clay bar, use a tabo to rinse it thoroughly.

PBEndo, lol

sentabo | 21 novembre 2019

The clay bar on the outside of the windshield did the trick! No more reflection or streak. And I didn't even need to use the tabo. :)

NKYTA | 21 novembre 2019

Excellent!

lilbean | 21 novembre 2019

Hahahahaha, @PBEndo!

lilbean | 21 novembre 2019

@sentabo Glad you didn't have to use the (sen)tabo!

sentabo | 21 novembre 2019

Ha! Where have you been, lilbean? It took a tabo reference to bring you back? :)

lilbean | 22 novembre 2019

Haha! Yep!

PrescottRichard | 22 novembre 2019

If the clay bar didn’t work I was gonna suggest a crowbar.

barrykmd | 22 novembre 2019

Or a steel ball from cybertruck demo

PrescottRichard | 22 novembre 2019

I concede my best in class jape ribbon to barrykmd given the current context.

Well done sir.