Forums

2019 Model 3 hydroplaning in light rain at least 30mph

2019 Model 3 hydroplaning in light rain at least 30mph

Anyone have issues with hydroplaning?

WardT | 29 novembre 2019

For my two cents, hydroplaning is a function of tire tread depth and speed. If your vehicle is slipping around at 30 MPH I would suspect an oil slick (or ice) before hydroplaning assuming your tires are properly inflated and have the minimum tread. To answer your question, I have not experienced hydroplaning.

Bighorn | 29 novembre 2019

And water depth

andy | 29 novembre 2019

We’ve had severe rain and flooding. I’ve had no issues at all with aquaplaning.

spuzzz123 | 29 novembre 2019

Nope. It’s a heavy car. Does better than all my prior ices

Anthony J. Parisio | 29 novembre 2019

I would worry about the Summer tires on the performance model. But no.

gballant4570 | 29 novembre 2019

No.

deden0809 | 29 novembre 2019

I suspected an oil slick too since I hadn't experienced it before and only have 4300 miles on tires.

Lchamp | 29 novembre 2019

Does autopilot detect hydroplaning? If so, how does it deal with it?

Xerogas | 29 novembre 2019

@deden0809: what, specifically, does this have to do with Model 3? ALL cars hydroplane under the right circumstances.

kevin_rf | 29 novembre 2019

One more reason I drive with chill on. It keeps the tires from going bald.

Magic 8 Ball | 29 novembre 2019

Light rain, 30mph, Model 3, nope no hydroplaning.
First rains, after a dry spell. float oils in the road to the surface.

aperfectecho | 29 novembre 2019

Nothing to do with the Tesla Model 3, per se. This can happen with any car. Less likely with a heavier car, like the Model 3, all things being equal

Scrannel | 29 novembre 2019

Performance -- spent a day in the rain in So. Ca; two days ago -- not a hint...

Tronguy | 29 novembre 2019

Number of years ago, ended up as a juror in a trial regarding a hydroplaning accident. Had just started raining, lightly, after a long, dry spell. Light goes green in one direction, red in the other. The old gent driving his car in the red direction braked. Based upon the evidence he apparently drifted into the intersection, likely with the anti-skid doing its thing, and lightly dinged a car in the crossing traffic, hence the lawsuit.
Asphalt can get _really_ slippery on that first bit of rain getting under accumulated oil. If memory serves, I think I've seen _people_ do the banana-skin loose traction and-land-on-back dance on that kind of surface. It's worse than an ice rink, especially since one doesn't expect it.
Of course, then there's the true hydroplane, which I've personally experienced in nearly every car I've owned. It means, "Go thee out and get new tires with tread, dummy!", and is the reason that slicks are used on the track and not on regular roads. Gotta have a place for all that water to go.
Teslas do seem to wear down their tires somewhat more quickly than lighter cars, so I wouldn't be surprised by a hydroplane event by someone with 15K miles and who hasn't been keeping track of tread depth.

Pepperidge | 29 novembre 2019

Change tires

Tuning In | 29 novembre 2019

Bald tires will hydroplane. That has always been the case. I have new tires and have had no issues with hydroplaning since.

Tuning In | 29 novembre 2019

@ Anthony J. Parisio
Most summer tires do great in the rain. I have the Pilot Sport 4s and those do better than most all seasons in the rain.

CST | 29 novembre 2019

The morning after the first rains here in the Bay area, I was at a red light, turning left. When the light turned green I started accelerating, my normal speed nothing too fancy, and my car slid sideways about 10 ft as if I was on snow or ice.
It wasn't hydroplaning, I was obviously going too slow but there must have been an oil on the road that made it slick as snot.
Fortunately, the car handled it quite well and I have a lot of experience driving in the snow so it was a natural reaction to correct. Also, no other cars around.

Scrannel | 29 novembre 2019

Sounds like the "old gent" was pumping his brakes. Which is a habit "old gents" have a hard time shaking. IMHO the only way to really "understand" a car is by living and driving in really terrible/fun conditions and fast, where you are going from adhesion > no adhesion off and on in rapid succession until you get to anticipate about anything. In other words, just because you're "hydroplaning" doesn't mean you can't control the car.

billtphotoman | 30 novembre 2019

So far my model 3 is the more resistant to hydroplaning than any car I have owned. I suspect part of that has to deal with the combination of fairly high weight and relatively narrow tires resulting in a high PSI of tire contact.

Varricks | 4 décembre 2019

3 Performance, Lots of rain this week around Sacramento, and a few gully-washers. The car's done fine on its "summer" racer-boy tires so far.
Another huge factor in hydroplaning I didn't see mentioned is the roadway surface itself. There's a porous topping, I think called "armorcoat" which lets water seep down through it to drain away on a solid under-paving. Which still comes back to the basic, "How much water is under the tires?" question. If things are all wrong, 30 mph is plenty to hydroplane.

Patronus | 4 décembre 2019

Measure your tread depth (gauges are readily available for a few dollars). If your tread's depths are 4/32" or less it is time to replace your tires.

SteveWin1 | 4 décembre 2019

I've had very little hydroplaning. I do think that it might be model-3 related, or at least Tesla-related. Regen is supposed to be turned down to the lower setting when its slippery. I doubt many people actually do this when it starts raining. This might make it more likely in a Tesla. No evidence of this, just saying it's possible that regen may make this worse. Hopefully the Tesla is smart enough that this wouldn't matter, but if that's the case, then why are we supposed to manually lower regen power?

RedPillSucks | 4 décembre 2019

Seems like a generic trolling question.

The model 3 is heavier than most other cars, so given the same circumstances and tires with tread, hydroplaning should happen less in the model 3 than other cars.

Kathy Applebaum | 4 décembre 2019

@RedPillSucks OTOH, model 3 drivers seem a little quicker off the mark and leave a little more of their tread at stoplights, so the model 3 is likely to have less tread without the driver realizing it.

EAPme | 4 décembre 2019

No hydroplaning for me at with 6/32" rubber.

I hope the OP is okay. He literally did a driveby on this thread.

If you are still around, what's your tread depth?

Bighorn | 4 décembre 2019

One point that bears repeating is to slow down and turn off cruise control on wet roads. There's a pretty dramatic Model 3 spin out video under these conditions.

Joshan | 4 décembre 2019

to answer some AP questions... I was using AP last winter on what I thought was a clear highway and hit a patch of black ice. The car in front of me totally lost it and hit the guard rail and flipped on its roof. My car started to spin and before I could even take over (I admittedly was NOT paying enough attention) the car had already straightened out and was decelerating.

Joshan | 4 décembre 2019

I so wish I had dashcam of that!!!!

Tronguy | 4 décembre 2019

@Scrannel: We, the jury, and me, the person who's read too darn much, both know that the initial spat of rain after a dry spell can lift a layer of oil on the asphalt, making the asphalt as slippery as ice. I've seen people on foot fall down on this, although not often.
One sec, let me find a link: https://www.idrivesafely.com/driving-resources/how-to/drive-in-the-rain/, search for Be Extra Careful After Long Dry Spells.
Heck, I had that in Driver's Ed back in 1970.

rxlawdude | 4 décembre 2019

@Tronguy, yep. Wet asphalt, especially covered with fallen leaves, is very slippery. My left ankle is proof of that, when I did a slide into no base while retrieving my pup's ball. It was entertaining for those who watched.
Fortunately, just a sprain but the witnesses said the angle of the fall easily could have caused a broken ankle.

My record of no broken bones in 66 years remains unbroken. ;0)

Oh yea, my M3 RWD behaves just fine in the rain, but I respect the torque that can easily break the wheels loose from a dead stop on wet, slick surfaces.

grubertm | 4 décembre 2019

Interesting that everybody seems to have rather positive experiences. Mine is the opposite- an early long range 2018 Model 3, it is extremely sensitive to wet roads. More so than any other car I have driven in the past 20 years. Not true hydroplaning but turning corners even at low speeds causes some small skidding.

jebinc | 4 décembre 2019

No issues here, and I live in the rainy Pacific Northwest.

Mike | 18 décembre 2019

grubertm: same as you, early long range 2018 M3 RWD, while on Autopilot, went hydroplaning/totalled..wonder if there's something different with those earlier models..Never use AP in the rain.

Syed.Hosain | 19 décembre 2019

@grubertm "Interesting that everybody seems to have rather positive experiences. Mine is the opposite- an early long range 2018 Model 3, it is extremely sensitive to wet roads. More so than any other car I have driven in the past 20 years. Not true hydroplaning but turning corners even at low speeds causes some small skidding."

I had similar experiences till I switched recently to Pilot Sport 4S tires ... now, no issues.

OTOH, I have had problems during regen braking and turning in wet weather (the original ties), since the motor *only* "brakes" the rear wheels.

loomitch | 19 décembre 2019

Have you tried checking your alignment? A small toe change can upset handling quite a bit.

coleAK | 19 décembre 2019

As others have said. You were going way to fast, tires are at the end of their life, or any combination there of.

rsbohra | 30 décembre 2019

Had a near life threatening experience going from a dry weather into a sudden heavy pour, was on Autopilot , car at 70 mph.Blinded by the "slow" Auto wipers the windshield visibility went to zero , luckily was able to change the wipers to max from auto, the car went into a snake spin for nearly 15 curvy lapses before i could finally gain control. I wish the wiper screen was more readily accessible as it takes nearly 3 swipes before you could turn those wipers ON to full from auto.

Lonestar10_1999 | 30 décembre 2019

With 40.50 firmware you can tap the right scroll wheel and issue the voice command “wiper speed maximum” and never take your eyes off the road.

M3phan | 30 décembre 2019

And disengage AP immediately by tapping right stalk up

RayNLA | 31 décembre 2019

It happened to this guy but he was going way to fast for conditions.
https://youtu.be/4L8TASl0NcY

M3phan | 31 décembre 2019

And he was on AP and no hands on wheel. Wonder what would’ve been the end result had AP been disengaged, his speed was reasonable for the conditions and his hands were on the wheel. Probably not what we saw.

rfilipe | 3 Janvier 2020

Same problem two times in the same place. Probably some oil on the road. The tires and pressure were ok. Also slided a couple of times when turning 90o on wet.