Forums

Is solar option on Cybertruck really feasible?

Is solar option on Cybertruck really feasible?

Shortly after the Cybertruck's reveal, Elon Musk tweeted about an option to add 15 miles per day through solar panels, with the possibility of double that number with add on "wings."

But is that number really possible? As it turns out ... yep. Absolutely. Even if you use some pretty conservative numbers about the efficiency of the panels and the whr / mile of the Cybertruck.

Here's a pretty spiffy video from YouTube that goes through the math, but basically, if the Cybertruck is 60% as efficient as the Model 3, the numbers are almost dead on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAU01vhHMPw

andy.connor.e | 10 décembre 2019

"@Andy then it certainly won’t happen due to cost."

Yep. It does seem hypocritical doesnt it?

Mark K | 10 décembre 2019

Wonder why Darth omits the 35K version of Model 3 in his retort?

Every post is why ‘it won’t work, will cost to much, is too hard to do’, etc.

These are the words of someone paid to delay the inexorable -

The retreat of fossil fuels, in the wake of something far better.

To say ‘gasoline will dominate into the next century’ (earlier thread), tells you who pays him.

These days, you can’t even fully imagine the next 10 years, much less 80.

A palpably tilted posture from the starting gate.

andy.connor.e | 10 décembre 2019

10 years ago i never imagined smartphones being a thing. 5 years ago i never saw myself ever being where i am now. Its easier to dismiss than it is to think.

john | 10 décembre 2019

If there is an option that would simply generate enough recover phantom drain, I'd be happy. We ultimately get much less travel than rated for a full charge when cabin over-heat and sentry are active when the vehicle is parked.

I'm thinking about it as taking an opportunity (being in the sun) to decrease the loss and perhaps charge a bit. I don't like buying gas or electricity.

I could envision a -probably removable if moving large loads- hard cover that hinges up instead of rolling up. Perhaps it could be powered to improve the angle of the sun when parked. It could be somewhat translucent like many solar carports which could make the view out of the back pretty cool. It could also support 'wings' that could easily fold out/in when stationary.

Likely the CT could have an intelligent parking compass to help direct to a parking place with the most optimal angle based on location. On a job site, or a camp site it could power things without affecting range.

One of the beauties of it compared to residential solar is that it already has the battery in it for storage. No additional expense there.

I've been jonesing for a solar canopy from iSun Energy or Envision Solar because I don't want to deal with connecting to the grid and wouldn't mind a little shade over my car in the hot Florida sun.

If it becomes an option, I'm in.

Mark K | 10 décembre 2019

John - Onboard gps knows true north.

More than a compass though, 8 cameras and the real-time output from the panel itself let you do closed-loop optimization of the incident radiant power.

And a summon-like sunseeker autonomous mode can scope the parking area for the best rays.

Now is an excellent time to bring back the excitement of innovation.

BadgerErickson | 10 décembre 2019

Wow, VW made these solar catchers for their TDI fleets, MANY years ago; KISS plug into 12V outlet on armrests. Duh. Why is this being spoken of here as unobtanium?

Darthamerica | 11 décembre 2019

Mark you are overly optimistic. There will be no retreat of fossil fuels in 10 years. There will be exponential growth.

andy.connor.e | 11 décembre 2019

If you were building a small business, I wonder if doing a solar roof/array installation with powerwalls would be a cheaper option than needing to trench utilities, install medium voltage switchgear, padmount transformer, and run underground feeders into the building with sub-distribution panels.

jimglas | 11 décembre 2019

troll flagged

Mark K | 11 décembre 2019

“Mark you are overly optimistic. There will be no retreat of fossil fuels in 10 years. There will be exponential growth.”

This kind of narrative exposes Darth’s agenda, and duplicity.

If gasoline sales will grow exponentially, then EV sales are headed for collapse.

But actual sales data already strongly shows the opposite.

Further, if he believed his own words, why would Darth obsess on an EV forum?

A textbook exemplar of paid narrative by legacy interests.

Whats also not being taken into account, is the potential for portions of the exponential growth to not be fossil fuel driven. Whats being assumed is that growth will be fossil fuels. In this age, there are utilities, medium voltage switchgear, padmount transformers and the associated equipment with building a new building that could possibly be avoided completely if you did an isolated solar array with battery backup. Its getting to the point, where a 10-15 year investment in renewable energy generation and storage pays for itself before its end of life. Its happening already.

Alternatives cannot handle the demand for the next few decades, end of story. Fossil Fuels will be king until more reliable and cheaper alternatives are productized. You can get mad, but you can’t stop it. Enjoy the CO2!

Care to point us at that youtube video of that guy talking at the camera? You have nothing to support that statement.

Cavalier dismissal of glaring facts - a classic spinmeister move.

Overall car sales are receding from the economics of ridesharing.

Specific models like bmw 3, mb C, Audi 3-4 are shrinking in synch with the rise of Model 3.

When the elephant is already in the room Darth, just ignore it. Out of bullets yet again.

And when truck buyers have a choice, does anyone really think utility-based buyers will turn down massive fuel cost savings?

On a truck that won’t rust, goes faster, and out-hauls the legacy brands? The unthinkable becomes thinkable when it happens.

Pickups going electric is going to put a huge dent in gasoline sales over the next few years.

SamO | 11 décembre 2019

Why feed the troll. He’ll be extolling the future and virtues of coal even as companies enter bankruptcy.

There is no amount of facts to counteract stupid

Samo - With each repeat Darth defeats himself.

No I just laugh at the fantasies most of you believe in... Considering how little most of you know about the market and technology, I’d be much more worried if you agreed with me!

SamO | 11 décembre 2019

The important thing is that facts don’t agree with you. Scientists don’t agree with you. Only derpish clueless clowns that have a vested interest in not understanding, agree with you.

Facts don’t care about your feelings. Shoulda bought TSLA instead of Exxon or Peabody.

Pages