Forums

Battery Discharges Without Driving

Battery Discharges Without Driving

Has anyone experienced this before? I upgraded to the new 2019.40.50.1 7fefc12d805a on 26th and my car fully charged yesterday at about 1:00pm. It has been sitting in my garage and to my surprise this morning the battery has discharged to 282 miles from 294. And tonight, it has gone done to 269 mile (10.05pm) without driving the car since it was charged.
This is my first time of experiencing this since i bought the car. Does anyone knows what could be going on? Or what i need to do to stop continuous lost of miles while the car is packed?

mikefa | 30 décembre 2019

Depending on your ambient temperature, losing 6-12 miles or more during the winter season is normal because the battery is used to maintain the optimum operating temperature of the battery itself.

jfemd.va.us | 30 décembre 2019

First, I assume your car was not fully charged (100%) and then not driven. That is not recommended for the health of the battery.
Is Sentry mode on? Owners have reported that it can consume up to one mile per hour of charge.
What's the temperature in your garage? The car has to use some of the charge to keep the battery warm.

dougk71 | 30 décembre 2019

Tesla provides little information as to power draw.There is the self discharge within the main battery.There is battery management ( keeping the battery battery warm/cool and balancing the cells). Then there are auxiliary functions sentry mode is often an issue. It can and most often should be turned off in a secure home garage. Tesla did belatedly address this and there is an option to disable sentry mode when parked in selected locations.
An often sought after feature for extended airport parking would be a max power saving mode upon owner command and not just at the 20% of battery automatic level. Perhaps Tesla will add this in a future update.

EVRider | 30 décembre 2019

In addition to Sentry Mode, Summon Standby can draw power, so disable that. You don’t really need it anyway, it just makes your car respond more quickly to Smart Summon requests.

nukequazar | 30 décembre 2019

Stats for Tesla app tracks phantom drain as well as many other metrics. Can help to figure it out.

steved | 30 décembre 2019

I plan to park at Newark, NJ parking garage (SNAP) from this Thursday, eve, Jan 2 thru Sat eve, Jan 18 (16 days total). could you please supply printed instructions t could provide to parking attendants to make sure anyone parking my S model turns it off completely during my 16 day journey to Caribbean? Or, alternatively, please advise what is best course of action for "extended airport parking" as noted above in dougk71 comment on Dec. 30.

OTBMS19 | 30 décembre 2019

@jfemd.va.us - i was only indoor throughout Saturday and normally you are not allowed to charge your battery to 100% if you are not going on a trip. My battery is always charged to 90% of the capacity. One thing i noticed was my phone car charger which i just replaced on Thursday. I unplugged it from the outlet last night and i only lost 2 miles over night compared to 24 miles in a little over 24 hours.
Sentry Mode is always off for my house because the car is always in the garage.

Any advice on car chargers for iPhone? i have one of the USB dedicated for the cameras and the other for USB cable for phone but needed the 12V for charging a second phone.

EVRider | 30 décembre 2019

@steved: Unless you live hours from the parking garage, consider leaving the car at home and taking an Uber. It probably won't cost any more than parking for 16 days, and you won't have to worry about the car.

If that's not an option, you can use the mobile app to turn off the features that could drain your battery too quickly, but of course without Sentry Mode you won't have any video if someone does something to your car.

GHammer | 30 décembre 2019

"Any advice on car chargers for iPhone? i have one of the USB dedicated for the cameras and the other for USB cable for phone but needed the 12V for charging a second phone."

https://www.rpmtesla.com/collections/model-3-interior-parts/products/usb...

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Charger-Output-iPhone-Samsung/dp/B00M6QODH2