Forums

I got the crooks on Sentry, but the police won't...(video)

I got the crooks on Sentry, but the police won't...(video)

My wife and I picked up my daughter and her boyfriend at SFO the morning of December 23rd for a Christmas visit. After the airport we're hungry so we stop at a restaurant in San Mateo, close to the airport. We had all our luggage in the back (seats up) and before closing the doors, I said to my daughter and BF, "put your backbacks (with laptops, keys & other important stuff) in the frunk, I don't want to attract thieves." We eat, I go to pay and I hear a horn going off. I turn around and see the yellow lights on our Tesla flashing and I let out a loud "SH*T!!" and bolted out of the restaurant yelling loudly at thugs that were at our car. By the time I get halfway to the car they are jumping in and speeding off. They got three of our 4 pieces of luggage and a lot of worthless stuff (clothes and toiletries) and we got two busted out windows (see video below).

I called 9-1-1 and the local police showed up about 5 minutes later to take our report. I told them I have Sentry Mode and they asked for the USB stick. I sat in the cruiser while the officer brought up the videos on his laptop and I pointed him in the right direction for the files. Bingo! We found the make, model and license of the car along with video of the guy in the act! So the officer radios dispatch the description of the perp, car and runs the plates. We wait for the information to come back...Fook, the plates come back stolen.

Having a 2-hour drive home, I couldn't drive the car with the windows completely out, so we found a SC nearby in Burlingame. Thank goodness for Ashleigh at the Burlingame SC. She didn't make any promises but checked with mobile service to see if they would 1) have the parts, and 2) be coming to the SC site that day. On both accounts they did/were. It was 11:30 am and she said it could be done by 4:00 pm. Awesome! And Ashleigh/Tesla gave us some Uber credits so we didn't have to wait at the SC all afternoon. So we took advantage of that and went shopping to replace the clothes & toiletries; they were even kind enough to store our one remaining piece of luggage while we shopped so we didn't have to haul it around with us.

It's a sucky way to start the holidays but Ashleigh's and Tesla's customer service turned lemons into lemonade. Thank you!

Now, to buy those Drop Locks!

https://youtu.be/k5_N6swty1U (start at the :49 mark)

Bated Breath | 31 décembre 2019

Sorry that happened to you but great video though.

apodbdrs | 31 décembre 2019

Really sorry about your loss and T-M3 broken windows, but at least everyone is safe. I bought the Drop Locks in April and never installed, but I will now. I was up in the bay area a couple of months ago.

Magic 8 Ball | 31 décembre 2019

Bummer, thanks for posting to show just how fast that sort of thing happens. Nothing cops can really do except look for stolen vehicle which they obviously have a report on already.

Sarah R | 31 décembre 2019

Please tell me that there were no electronic devices or paper documents that could be leveraged to another crime in any of three stolen bags.

ronocoug | 31 décembre 2019

@Sarah R - no identifiable information were in those 3 pieces of luggage, thank goodness. The backpacks had all the juicy info and they were spared, being in the frunk.

rxlawdude | 31 décembre 2019

Sorry for your bad experience. The Sentry videos are extremely good evidence, except where the plates are bogus.

lilbean | 31 décembre 2019

Stolen plates, not stolen vehicle, right? Anyway the cops won’t do anything about any of it.

apodbdrs | 31 décembre 2019

@ronocoug, got my drop locks installed, very easy, just pull the seat out, drop/install the locks and push seat back. A short You Tube video helped on installation. Now,I will need to practice removing them with the fish wire.

Shesmyne2 | 31 décembre 2019

People can really suck sometimes.
Sorry for your experience.

Better things in the New Year.

Still Grinning ;-)

M3phan | 31 décembre 2019

Carload of shi[p]bags. May they be caught and if not, may they run afoul of some other form of swift justice.
Sorry man, but wow, big ups to your SC experience. Way to go Tesla!!

wongster | 31 décembre 2019

first time i got my passenger side rear window and triangle window smashed. 5 months later i got my driver side triangle window smashed. i got those sentry window stickers from abstract ocean and hope these dumb asses know how to read. came across ClearPlex pre cut window film for the triangle window from rpmtesla and recently purchased.

https://www.rpmtesla.com/collections/model-3-exterior-parts/products/mod...

M3phan | 1 Janvier 2020

@wong that film looks excellent

dwehab | 1 Janvier 2020

If it was the sheriff forget it. We had our store broken in twice and a bunch of homes and cars in the area and I’m talking about atherton west menlo area. This area is richer than Beverly Hills but each section had its own police department then after the 2008 crashes and cutbacks they made a sheriffs department for most of San Mateo county and now you got a handful of cars patrolling too many cities and these criminals know that. Can i ask where in San Mateo u ate. Was it shoreview or closer to el Camino. They have some areas that have a lot of Latinos and Polynesian gangs. Although they aren’t from the hood they pretend to be and do stupid crimes to look cool not like they are even trying to survive(not that that makes it appropriate either). But good luck to you. I personally never put anything in the car I’m already worried about the outside let alone the inside of the car

dwehab | 1 Janvier 2020

If it was the sheriff forget it. We had our store broken in twice and a bunch of homes and cars in the area and I’m talking about atherton west menlo area. This area is richer than Beverly Hills but each section had its own police department then after the 2008 crashes and cutbacks they made a sheriffs department for most of San Mateo county and now you got a handful of cars patrolling too many cities and these criminals know that. Can i ask where in San Mateo u ate. Was it shoreview or closer to el Camino. They have some areas that have a lot of Latinos and Polynesian gangs. Although they aren’t from the hood they pretend to be and do stupid crimes to look cool not like they are even trying to survive(not that that makes it appropriate either). But good luck to you. I personally never put anything in the car I’m already worried about the outside let alone the inside of the car

Ron.Olsberg | 1 Janvier 2020

I have only enabled Sentry mode two times so I have a few questions regarding your unfortunate experience?.Did you get a notification on your smartphone? if so, did you get this message well before the window was shattered? Looks like the crook might of placed some kind of device on the rear window that was used to shatter after he entered/exited the vehicle? Where the video files in a Sentry Mode folder or the recent event folder? If sentry mode triggered, I assume the sound system was active and very loud?

apodbdrs | 1 Janvier 2020

Ron, ronocoug probably has more details to add to your questions, but from have experienced or read:

Yes, a notification will be sent to your phone if Sentry mode is on. A broken window even on most alarms will not set an alarm off, but opening the door, trunk, etc. will and the horn will go off. A police friend told me crooks use a ball pin hammer or sharp solid metal pin object that can easily break any window with just a short sharp jolt. Sentry mode files are store in the sentry saved file. The file with the most recent time normally has the activity. I just installed the visible bright orange drop locks on my back seat release handles.

ronocoug | 1 Janvier 2020

@Ron.Olsberg - apodbdrs is right on every account. In my situation, I did get a phone alert but didn't notice it until after the fact because I had taken off running after them. My wife and were asking, why didn't the alarm go off after the quarter glass was broken (the first one busted out)? And the sound system didn't trigger as it has in other events that have been relayed here on the forums.

@apodbdrs - did you install the "seats locked" window stickers too?

@dwehab - we ate at a restaurant closer to El Camino...after this experience, never again will we visit that area.

Lonestar10_1999 | 1 Janvier 2020

That SFO Bay area sounds like the M3’s are targeted for break ins more than other makes and models.

Ron.Olsberg | 1 Janvier 2020

Maybe Tesla will start using the interior camera to trigger the alarm/Sentry in the future. The Model 3 has a tilt detector to trigger the security systems in other parts of the world or at least in cars delivered to Norway. If the alarm did not go off as soon as the window broke, I would hope future changes would trigger the alarm. With the thief's body almost entirely inside the car, the interior camera certainly could see that.

Magic 8 Ball | 1 Janvier 2020

Not enough data to support a correlation. I was parked at Rancho san Antonio and they were investigating a Mercedes that got hit and we weren't. I would say it has to do a lot with the fact that Model 3's are everywhere around here. A new one showed up in another neighbor's driveway last night.

sonywega17 | 1 Janvier 2020

Sorry for that to happen to you, but the police won’t .... what?

rehutton777 | 1 Janvier 2020

I was intrigued by the possible use of "seat locks", but then I started to wonder - - why would a Tesla be more prone to such break-in than an SUV or minivan where the items in the back are in plain view? In the Tesla, the thieves don't even know what's in the trunk until they break in and lower the seats - - seems a "high risk" break in to me. I'd be curious as to the relative numbers of Tesla break-ins vs. other vehicles. After thinking about this, I'm not sure seat locks would offer a lot of assurance that they still won't try to break in - - but why Teslas?

TeslaTap.com | 1 Janvier 2020

Sorry for the pain of it all.

I've had dashcam footage of thieves. They looked into 3 different cars, my Tesla, a Highlander, and a BMW. The then got back in their car, drove around, broke the BMW's rear window and stole the laptop that was on the back seat.

It took about 10 seconds, and we were less than 40 feet away. We heard the break-in and alarm, but they drove off quickly. Again the license plate was a useless paper dealer ad. I gave the footage to the police, but almost zero chance of catching them.

They are looking for items in the car. Ideally leave nothing visible. When I'm in a questionable area, I also leave the rear seats down so you can see there is nothing in the trunk.

PECo CT | 1 Janvier 2020

"but the police won't. . ."

Won't what?

ronocoug | 1 Janvier 2020

@Lonestar10_1999 - while investigating our break-in, the black Mercedes parked to our front left in the video also had their right rear quarter glass broken and back seat pulled down. So other models do get their share; it's just that on the M3 forum we mostly hear of M3s getting broken into.

@sonywega17 & @PECo CT - the police won't...get the thugs because the plates on the Volvo were stolen, so there's little to no chance they'll get caught, even though I had a great Sentry video of the make, model and license plates.

wongster | 1 Janvier 2020

i live in san francisco and i can say that a lot of other cars do get their windows smashed too but i feel that teslas are being targeted because its easier to pull the rear seat down after the small triangle window is smashed. the alarm is not activated when that window is smashed. only when the door window is smashed.

first time i got my window smashed, other cars around were ok. just mine. as i was leaving, another model 3 around the block got his window broken too. second time my window was smashed, same thing, other cars around me were ok except for mine. there was an audi parked next to me. both times there is nothing in plain sight.

waiting on the window film from rpmtesla and hopefully when i get that on, if a scum tries to break it and can't they'll just move on

pat | 1 Janvier 2020

So sorry to hear of your loss and the incident. Quite frustrating to have the evidence to catch the intruders yet not enough. We were parked in Balboa Park during a recent visit to San Diego, returning to find all our windows open a few inches and indication that sentry being activated. Quite alarming as we did not get a notice on our phone yet the display said it was activated. Nothing seemed a miss. We were not able to check our USB drive for a few days as we did not have a laptop or ipad with us on the trip (this is something Tesla needs to fix-we should be able to view it by the car) yet when we did we did not find anything of significance and missing video as there was a car to the left and in one video it was there, the next one it was gone. Without any video tracking this car leaving, the system did not record everything. We have a visit scheduled tomorrow at Tesla for an unrelated issue so we will ask about this event. I'm just posting here to learn if anyone else has experienced such an event with intermittent Sentry recordings and/or windows dropping.

Teslanene | 1 Janvier 2020

@pat they recently added VENT were it drops all windows a couple of inches maybe you hit it?

creativeguy | 1 Janvier 2020

This is the Tesla Model 3 forum. If you want to read about all the BMW and Mercedes break-ins, I'm sure you'll fine plenty of posts on BMW and mercedes forums.

pat | 1 Janvier 2020

@Teslanene. Thanks, sounds like that may be it. I'll have to check into VENT. Glad it wasn't raining out, though.

Lonestar10_1999 | 1 Janvier 2020

@creativguy- if you want to know more about the Kona Ev then go no further; this is the right forum. Thanks a lot FishEV.

TeslaTap.com | 1 Janvier 2020

@pat - The Tesla moves files from to the Sentry folder, they are not copied. So check all folders for missing files. Now if the camera is recording more than an hour, the minute of interest maybe sort of gone. Turns out if you have a large drive, the way it "overwrites" files actually just flags it for deletion and writes elsewhere. You can often recover these deleted files. Here are more details: https://cammem.com/tesla/troubleshooting/ - go to the end, #9.

1LuckyGuy | 1 Janvier 2020

This is what happens when you vote for democrats who make these crimes unimportant and with nearly zero punishment. This is an irrefutable fact. Thanks Jerry Brown and all the Bay Area idiots who voted for it.

kalalp | 1 Janvier 2020

^^^^^^
This

Tesla2018 | 1 Janvier 2020

NY just did away with cash bail so most crooks go free. And Butticheck wants drug possession not to be a crime. Now all the pot and crackheads will be free to roam around and steal without repercussions.
Glad I live in FL where I can go Zimmerman on these punks and say I was in fear for my life and also not go to jail either.

kevin_rf | 1 Janvier 2020

I was just in Florida, never saw so many bad drivers in my life. Even saw a lane splitter go around crossing arm on a drawbridge. FL is just trading one set of problems for another.

yudansha™ | 1 Janvier 2020

@kevin_rf Just remember it is all your neighbors from up north who give us, Floridian, bad reputation.

yudansha™ | 1 Janvier 2020

@Tesla2018 You are ready to kill somebody for a bag of dirty clothes?

Tesla2018 | 1 Janvier 2020

Almost shot 3 people trying to break into a neighbor's home. Got them all to lie on the ground and told them not toove. Cops said it wasn't on my property. Told them my neighbor was on vacation and he told me to watch his house. They broke in the week before but only got his computer before his dog scared them. He has property in Idaho and goes deer hunting and has a bunch of rifles. Wanted to get rid of the crooks before they got back into the house and we're able to get the guns before the cops came to avoid a shootout. You loot- we shoot

Big_Ed | 1 Janvier 2020

Bay Area sounds like NYC back in the 70s. Kurt Russell will be filming "Escape from San Francisco" soon.

I have worked in downtown Tampa for 12 years and I have never even heard of a car being broken into. Ever. Especially not in broad daylight and plain view. That shit is not normal, and should not be accepted as such.

bp | 1 Janvier 2020

In some cultures, cutting off one’s hand(s) is an appropriate punishment for theft. Dialing that back to, say, a finger for breaking into a car, seems very reasonable to me. Certainly cheaper and likely more effective than jail.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2 Janvier 2020

Glad I'll never live in Florida. Strange that the 'Sunshine State' has so many hurricanes and other storms.

Murder should always be charged as murder. Petty 'crime' should be considered 'petty'.

I have no pressing need to shoot people on a daily basis.

Big_Ed: I expect 'ESCAPE from MIAMI' will come sooner... ;-)

neylus | 2 Janvier 2020

How the f do they sleep at night? Love the stealth Volvo tactic.

82bert | 2 Janvier 2020

Remind me not to visit San Francisco. The stories I hear coming out of there with car break ins sound out of control.

Magic 8 Ball | 2 Janvier 2020

It is horrible here, the weather sucks, we get mugged and robbed everyday, we pay a lot of taxes, everyones hates each other, there is nothing to do here, just an awful awful place. If you do come here please just drop off your money and go back home.

Have a nice day!

apodbdrs | 2 Janvier 2020

@ronocoug, I did not install the stickers, but may in the future, still debating. The orange drop locks really stand out. The real issue is preventing thieves from getting easy access to the trunk.

Sparky | 2 Janvier 2020

If you're going to San Francisco
Be sure to put some armoured glass in there
If you're going to San Francisco
You're going to meet some thieves without a care

apodbdrs | 2 Janvier 2020

Not worried about San Francisco, been there many times, more worried about being shot in Texas or Florida! Las Vegas already met their quota a few years ago. Sad but it is everywhere!

yudansha™ | 2 Janvier 2020

Cybertruck is going to be quite popular in San Francisco.

sun60deep | 2 Janvier 2020

Can someone please post step by step how to set up usb drive for recording in sentry and also which drive to buy. Thanks in advance

Pages