Forums

Quick Guide for Carwash with Model 3!

Quick Guide for Carwash with Model 3!

I took our car for the first time to the carwash and had zero issues. I just did all of the below real quick and everything went smooth.
1. Open quick control (car icon in lower left of the screen)
2. Fold mirrors (could be done with voice command)
3. Click on the wipers icon twice above music icon lower left on the screen and it will turn them off. Or use voice command Turn off wipers.
4. With your foot on the break and your car in drive slightly push right stalk up and you are in N. Lift your foot off break. (You don't have to turn off hold mode it doesn't work in N)
And that is it. I have done it in matter of seconds while guy was cleaning my front.
Thanks and I hope it helps someone in the future.

lilbean | 2 février 2020

Wash at home. Done.

Lonestar10_1999 | 2 février 2020

A lot of folks were hoping for a new feature “Car Wash” mode. I think it would be welcomed and appreciated by anyone unable or unwilling to wash at home. I would think that the car wash mode should perform all the tasks listed by Rikki except switching gear to neutral. I would think the driver would want to put the car in neutral at precisely the right time, but the car wash mode could be invoked for everything else while waiting in line for entering the car wash.

Garyeop | 2 février 2020

I live in Kansas City and salt is an issue. You may need to wash your car several times a week. I plan to keep June for hundreds of thousands miles. Washing at home that often is not my choice, so I buy an unlimited car wash pass from a local company.

The lines can be long, cars close, and limited time to get everything set...especially getting car into neutral and back into drive. I would LOVE a simple button or command to set all the car wash settings more easily. Also the ability to put the car into drive without pressing break at the end.

FISHEV | 2 février 2020

"I would think that the car wash mode should perform all the tasks listed by Rikki except switching gear to neutral."

Good list and I think you could have Car Wash Mode go into neutral. You drive in and stop. Hit "Car Wash Mode" all of the above and in "N".

CWM stays on screen with a big "Cancel Car Wash Mode" with some warnings like "Be sure car is off car wash track before canceling'.

WW_spb | 2 février 2020

My point was it's not that hard to do even without car wash mode

skygraff | 2 février 2020

Ultimately, Car Wash Mode would need to be a different version of neutral which doesn’t care if there’s a butt in the driver’s seat and it would have to be easily canceled by putting the stalk back to drive. That way you can send your car through a wash where the driver doesn’t ride and a worker pulls it to the dry area.

Of course, in my experience, those places also have the workers pull cars up to the conveyer so there’d need to be a little handoff training and a big Car Wash Mode button.

Mind you, I still haven’t found a touchless conveyer style wash in my area so I still hand wash (waterless).

Rikki, I have never brought my M3 to a car wash nor do I intend to. However it’s been reported that for those who have, it’s a challenge to not only set the controls so nothing gets damaged, but it’s also a challenge to keep the settings during the entire car wash process. For instance if you need to reach for your wallet in your back pocket, you may inadvertently go from neutral to park.

To make matters worse you don’t have much time to make all your settings and be certain you didn’t forget one. So a car wash mode would certainly be useful.

Btw, my old Prius was also finicky trying to get into neutral. I once had trouble at the car wash with my Prius finding neutral and the operator had to pause the line until the gear finally changed. Since this is a family friendly forum I can’t repeat the words the operator yelled at me.

sixstring09 | 2 février 2020

If they make a car wash mode some dummy is going to be in their driveway, put the car in car wash mode to hand wash and the car is going to roll them over.

FISHEV | 2 février 2020

"Ultimately, Car Wash Mode would need to be a different version of neutral which doesn’t care if there’s a butt in the driver’s seat and it would have to be easily canceled by putting the stalk back to drive."

Yes...and why it is needed. The butt in seat issue for example. Owners have no idea how Tesla has cross linked functions in the car. Shifting in seat shifts car into park, no one expects that. Likley all kinds of interlinked controls like that which is why Tesla has to give us Car Wash Mode.

WW_spb | 2 février 2020

Why my helpful instructions getting invaded by water creature and car wash mode people? What I posted is just to help someone who wants to go to Carwash. No need for you complaining.

@Rikki - no complaints from me. Your succinct list is a helpful reference. From a human performance perspective, it would be great to make a “macro” of it. Only Tesla can create that macro. Its just a suggestion that builds upon your idea. Hopefully Tesla reads these threads and incorporates what they deem as good ideas into future production firmware.

WW_spb | 2 février 2020

I usually do wash my wife's Tesla at home with ceramic waterless solution. It was to dirty and I decided to try out carwash :)

WW_spb | 2 février 2020

That was for @lilbean

PteRoy | 2 février 2020

Are all your car washes on tracks in the USA? Can’t remember the last time I went through one of those. Where I live you just drive in and hit park. Car gets washed, you drive out.

Tronguy | 2 février 2020

Fish is present.

Public Service Announcement:

FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user
names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please
take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he may
suggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt
about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.

cyberrider77 | 2 février 2020

If your in your car and in neutral do not lift your butt off the seat it puts the car into park and in my case shut down the whole car wash. Oops. I had my seat belt off to reach the payment machine and couldn’t see if the windshield wipers were off because the seatbelt info covers that area on the screen one thing led to another. The car wash attendant new exactly what happened:). I agree a car wash mode would be nice although we really only need to make sure windows are up , wipers off and car in neutral, at least that has been my experience.

WW_spb | 2 février 2020

Carwashes around my area you pay before enter and I sit still for a minute while car being washed .

yudansha™ | 2 février 2020

I've never done #3, but I agree it is very simple and easy to use a car wash. 1-2-3.

bddaughe | 2 février 2020

I may be a little slow, so could you explain what you mean in #3 by "Click Autopilot"?

FISHEV | 2 février 2020

"Why my helpful instructions getting invaded by water creature and car wash mode people?"

You forgot zealots from the Church and ThineOwnHandWash.

AstroSteve | 2 février 2020

Home hand wash until too cold for hose.
Then, use coin self wash with no brush, just soap and then water.
Too cold for both, it has been a mild winter here in New Jersey. So far, a problem for next year?
Will not use an automatic wash.

AstroSteve | 2 février 2020

Home hand wash until too cold for hose.
Then, use coin self wash with no brush, just soap and then water.
Too cold for both, it has been a mild winter here in New Jersey. So far, a problem for next year?
Will not use an automatic wash.

Big_Ed | 2 février 2020

Thought this was about home washing, so I was going to weigh in with a helpful tip. Not applicable, but I'm here so I'll throw it out anyways: silicone squeegee blade works great to dry off roof and windows.

drrock75k | 2 février 2020

Another vote for car wash mode.

ronald.nguyen | 3 février 2020

I just washed my model3 at home. After that the charge port door keeps open/close when I open/close the car door. Ofcourse when I'm washing the car, all the doors, windows and charge port door are close. I wait for 30 minutes then open the car door again and the charge port door stops acting crazy!

teslamazing | 3 février 2020

Have a monthly car wash subscription for over a year that gives me 1 was a day. Has both touch and touch-less options (used both plenty of times) zero issues. No need for a “car wash” mode. Shifting the car in neutral disables the sensors I believe because I never get alert sounds when I use the touch wash.

Also funny how fishev keeps putting 2 cents on this subject but dude has yet to take his Tesla through a carwash ??? The hell.

Atoms | 4 février 2020

I would never do this. Ceramic coat the car and use a no rinse (one bucket) wash with a load of microfiber towels and dry with a waffle micro fiber towel. So fast and easy and will not cause scratches if done properly. Also car will stay clean much longer and dirt will tend to fall off.

I’ll use a drive through with the dented Honda, but never ever with the Model 3. Become one with your 3 and hand wash.

Also using this technique you can do it in the garage and not even drip water on the floor if the towels are not sopping wet. No rinse step! No spray! So simple.

WW_spb | 5 février 2020

I don't treat 3 any different than other cars. It's not a princess it is still ust a car.

FISHEV | 5 février 2020

The detail shop is complaining that my 30 Splash/Dash washes stripped off the ceramic after 9 months and 17,000 miles. I thought it would be longer lasting but in reading the instructions, one year of "heavy" use is about right.

They are going to PPF the rocker covers to add protection for the rocker cover issues (Tesla's free mudflaps to Canadians to prevent damage) plus the Bouldoc mudflaps, 1D's so none of the dirt issues the Tesla 3D mudflaps have shown) and redo the ceramic on the rest of the car. Looks like once a year redo on ceramic or maybe just go to regular waxing and the car washes. Ceramic seems more expensive than it is worth.

AWDTesla | 5 février 2020

here's my tips, from an actual guy who gets paid to wash cars :)

1 - Hand wash is the best wash.
2 - 2 bucket method, one for clean soapy water, the other with your rinsing water, Rinsing bucket should have a grit guard installed so you can scrape the mit clean and keep the debris away from your clear coat.
3 - Use Optimum No Rinse (ONR) for your soap
4 - Put wipers in service mode
5 - Wash car like any other car. I know many of you like to think its different, but its not. Its the same method to wash your M3 as it is a F150. Do 1 panel at a time. Wash, then dry it. Start from the top, work your way down.
6 - Use a an instant detailer or ceramic spray to help dry the car. This is where most people introduce marring and swirls to their car - when they dry it. Introducing some 'lube' to your drying process will help reduce the chances of swirls appearing in your clear. I use a waffle weave towel to dry the cars. Super soft and absorbent. get 2 big ones, fold often, using a clean side each time to dry the panels.
OR
If you have one, an leaf blower or compressed air is even better. Nothing touches the paint in this process. Less touching the paint, less marring is happening :)
7 - after all said and done, I like to go over all the crevices with an air wand and blow out the door handles, the door jambs, window trim, etc....anywhere where water can get into and freeze basically. I HATE freezing door handles. lol.
8-Pass over with the ceramic spray and your drying towel one last time to dry up any of the water you blew out and give your paint another layer pf protection from the elements.

Have a beer. Sit back, and stare. :)

mikenorthrup | 5 février 2020

Followed OP's steps and had no problems. Thanks.

Joshan | 5 février 2020

I leave it in drive. My steps are as follows:

1. turn off wipers
2. set to "roll mode" in the driving options

Thats it... works perfect. with the car in roll mode you can just leave it in park through the wash.

Joshan | 5 février 2020

er leave it in drive...

lilbean | 5 février 2020

@rikki "Why my helpful instructions getting invaded by water creature and car wash mode people? What I posted is just to help someone who wants to go to Carwash. No need for you complaining."

You consider that complaining? Wow. Haha!

bddaughe | 5 février 2020

And @rikki never answered my question about what did he mean by "click autopilot"?

teslamazing | 5 février 2020

@bdd under cars setting menu. Not that hard to figure out if you own a Tesla ..

jamespompi | 5 février 2020

No need for step 3

teslamazing | 5 février 2020

@james. Yup no need.

WW_spb | 5 février 2020

Removed optional step. Thanks guys.

bddaughe | 6 février 2020

I know there is an autopilot sub-menu. OPP didn't say what was done once they were in the autopilot menu. That was my question

teslamazing | 6 février 2020

He edited the post, but yes he did.

Why the snippy remarks? I went and double-checked Autopilot menu and did not find the things he mentioned, which I think was something about front impact alerts or something like that. Are there different autopilot menus based on the features in the car? It was an honest question, so I'm not sure why you're giving an attitude

Joshan | 6 février 2020

easier to just click the speaker icon that appears when the alarms start going off. One click on the main screen. I just leave them on /shrug

@bdd because you clearly didn’t read or I’m not sure what was so hard in the directions.

Thanks to google cache, I managed to screenshot his original post:

https://imgur.com/a/TqesMHn

Now, again, plz tell me what you don’t understand in step 3?? Did you scroll down in “autopilot” tab ???

WW_spb | 6 février 2020

bddaughe, Lol drugs are bad for you, ya know ;)

FISHEV | 6 février 2020

"here's my tips, from an actual guy who gets paid to wash cars"

Here's my tip from an actual guy who pays people to wash his car, take it to car wash. The detail shop, bunch of car nuts, offered to hand wash my car once a week if I would agree to not take it to car wash. Who has that kind of time? That Splash/Dash hand washing removed the ceramic in 9 months, makes the ceramic too expensive, go back to four major hand waxes by detailers and car washes.

Car Wash mode needed still.

WW_spb | 6 février 2020

Click Autopilot and scroll down (retard instructions) then disable stuff that I mentioned before. TA Da. Since it is optional I deleted it from OP

OK. Here's how I read it:

Go to quick controls. Fold mirrors. Click autopilot to x,y,z. At first, it sounded like he was clicking an autopilot button on the quick controls screen that did the things he mentioned.

I realize now that I misunderstood what he was doing. I apologize for that, but still am not sure it deserved that level of frustration from you. We all learn differently and I was truly trying to understand what he meant. Thank you for helping me understand.

Again from someone who has a MONTHLY carwash subscription

Has both touch and touch-less options (used both plenty of times) zero issues. No need for a “car wash” mode. Shifting the car in neutral disables the sensors I believe because I never get alert sounds when I use the touch wash.

Also funny how fishev keeps putting 2 cents on this subject but dude has yet to take his Tesla through a carwash ??? The hell.

No need for car wash mode.

And Rikki, calling anyone a "R" is very distasteful

Pages