Forums

Sentry mode really pissed off in busy parking garage

Sentry mode really pissed off in busy parking garage

I didn't realize how grouchy sentry mode gets in a busy parking garage, with people parking in the adjacent space and peering into the car. The alarm sounded twice while I was away (the second time as I was walking up). I do wish there was a near-real-time feed available on the phone, and maybe a voice capability like the Arlo has to kindly suggest people back off.

peldor427 | 10 février 2020

I've had my Sentry alarm sound 4 times since the feature was added by Tesla. Once when my son was 'testing' it so purposely messing with the car. A second time when I was parked in a parking lot and someone hit the front corner (very minor scratch, but glad it alarmed and took video). The last 2 times were the same night, 2 days ago in a parking deck. I've parked here before without problems but this time I was very close to the entrance and after watching the video I determined that it was most likely triggered by a very large diesel truck (going up, then later down). Without audio I can't say for certain but based on the truck stopping and then accelerating in the video, I'm pretty sure they were revving it up to maximize noise and vibration. It's a pretty common practice in the area on a Saturday night...

Take a look at the video if you haven't already.

teslamazing | 10 février 2020

An alarm sound is significant. It seems it’s more than just people walking by or even looking inside. I’d check all feeds.

rehutton777 | 10 février 2020

Just a simple question - - how do you know if the alarm sound goes off (assuming you are away from the car)? Does it alert you on the phone app or on the car's screen in some way? I've had MANY sentry alert warnings on my screen, but I've never received an "alarm notice" nor heard the alarm go off. As Teslamazing says, my guess is that if the alarm actually goes off it must have been a serious intrusion.

Joseb | 10 février 2020

agreed with @teslamazing alarm going off is not just people walking by.

EVRider | 10 février 2020

@rehutton777: A Sentry Mode alert state results in a Sentry Mode event on the touchscreen, but no notification on the phone. The alarm state triggers the alarm and sends a notification from the mobile app.

Thanks, EVRider! I assumed that was the case, and I also then assume that since I have never heard the alarm or received a notification on my phone app I have never had a serious intrusion attempt on the vehicle (while Sentry is activated). When I am parked in public areas with lots of foot traffic, I do receive many "sentry event" notices from people walking by or accidentally touching the car as they pass by, but have never received an "alarm alert".

SpeedyEV | 10 février 2020

@ IHaveArrived I think you are referring the Alarm, not Sentry. The only time I had the alarm go off was when some kids bumped the car with a basketball they were playing with. The car and the Tesla app notified me of the alarm event. You may want to check the sentry videos if somebody actually bumped into your car.

SpeedyEV | 10 février 2020

@ IHaveArrived I think you are referring the Alarm, not Sentry. The only time I had the alarm go off was when some kids bumped the car with a basketball they were playing with. I not only heard the car alarm (scared the kids off!), but also the Tesla app notified me of the alarm event. You may want to check the sentry videos if somebody actually bumped into your car.

Shesmyne2 | 10 février 2020

If Sentry is on noise alarm won’t go off.
It will only go on if Sentry is off in my experience...
It’s one or the other, not both.

Still Grinning ;-)

Shesmyne2: I hear what you are saying, but that conflicts' with others' comments and really doesn't make sense to me. Are there others with actual "alarm notification" (not just sentry event notification) that can confirm or refute?

peldor427 | 10 février 2020

Turning on Sentry still allows the alarm to activate. I can confirm that it has happened to me multiple times as I described above.

Shesmyne2 | 10 février 2020

Hmm. Could it possibly be different HW?

I’m on 2.5 ‘18 LR AWD loaded.

Still Grinning ;-)

EVRider | 10 février 2020

Here’s what it says in the manual:

“Alarm - For major threats, such as someone breaking a window, Sentry Mode triggers the Alarm state. In the Alarm state, the security alarm activates, the audio system generates a loud and unexpected sound, and the message on the touchscreen displays in maximum brightness. After 30 seconds, Sentry Mode returns to the Standby state.”

It doesn’t vary by HW. If your car supports Sentry Mode, this is how it works.