Forums

Model 3 towing camper

Model 3 towing camper

canamrv. ca/blog/post/tesla-and-airstream-trailer/

Copy and paste, remove spaces

FISHEV | 17 février 2020

That Airstream weighs 3,000# and Tesla EU Model 3's the only ones that have towing, are rated for just 2,000#.

How does that work?

AWDTesla | 17 février 2020

They spend a lot of time getting the towing setup right. So good anti sway setup, trailer brakes, etc. Model 3 is a heavy car so it would be well planted while towing

FISHEV | 17 février 2020

"Model 3 is a heavy car so it would be well planted while towing"

Not the car's capability so much. I think Tesla under rates the cars for towing. But the fact that mfg is only rating it for 2,000 and they are towing 3,000. Anything happens to the car or there's an accident, Tesla and insurance company are both likely to walk away from it.

Tesla is odd about the towing. Only in EU and only if installed new on the car, Tesla won't put Tesla towing rig on after the sale. And is there towing software to change how the car operates, a tow mode? Haven't seen anything about a "tow mode" even on the Model 3's Tesla has put the tow rig on.

howard | 17 février 2020

AWDTesla, Very nice setup. Please keep us posted after towing a bit with your energy consumption and range. CANAM RV is just amazing. I drove all the way up from Denver to have them reinforce the hitch assembly on our 2014 ML350 BlueTec to pull a 2015 30' Bunk. It was a beautiful setup. I doubt you would need it for the single axle short trailer but I have always pulled with a ProPride hitch. You don't even know if is back there even under heavy to extream crosswinds. We are planning on going back to a 25' Rear Twin when I get the Rivian truck.

AWDTesla | 17 février 2020

This isnt mine.

howard | 17 février 2020

That's too bad. Nice setup. It should work very well. Would have loved real feedback.