Forums

Best way to eliminate limited regen dots? (from cold weather)

Best way to eliminate limited regen dots? (from cold weather)

Warm the cabin without being plugged in. That's the answer.

For my cold climate people who hate limited regen give this a try for 30-45 minutes if you can spare the range. I've been amazed at what it does.

gballant4570 | 17 février 2020

I'm gonna say the best way is to park in a heated building.

Mike UpNorth_ | 17 février 2020

I should add.....These are my normal options;

1. Charge for 60 minutes at 29MPH
2. Warm the cabin for 60 minutes
3. Warm the cabin + charge for 60 minutes

I've found warming cabin without being plugged in does way better at warming the battery than the above 3 options.

PteRoy | 17 février 2020

I have found this is really dependent on how cold it is and how long the car has been sitting. I have pre heated the car and drove home for 40 minutes with the snow flake icon on the whole time. For reference it was -24c outside.

I do this at the gym though. Pre heat for 20-30 minutes and if it’s not deathly cold out, I do get enough regen to feel it.

Charging for 1-2 hours before I leave home seems to be the best though. I can get about half revenue even in the really cold days. Doesn’t beat supercharging though.

haha, yes @gb that would probably beat all my current options :)

gballant4570 | 17 février 2020

I am thinking about heating the building I park and charge in - only partly for these reasons. The other reason is to make the upstairs of the bldg a music room, which should keep the lower level warm enough to make it a great place to park & charge.

FISHEV | 17 février 2020

Or just drive and use the regen to warm the battery. My car cold soaks every night and I have about half my regen left in the 35F AM, enough to make it usable and the using it heats the battery.

Sounds like big waste of energy to boost the regen otherwise.

PteRoy | 17 février 2020

35f isn’t cold though. Maybe that’s why.

FISHEV | 17 février 2020

"35f isn’t cold though."

Cold enough to knock out 50% of regen. Even if its so cold as to eliminate all regen, just drive and let the regen and cabin heat recover the regen vs. burning a huge amount of energy to get regen back, counter productive as you will likely never regain the energy you used to free up the regen.

derotam | 17 février 2020

Mike UpNorth, it's all about whether the car goes to actively heat the battery or not. I dont think it matters whether you are plugged in or not. Activating the cabin heating from the phone app will engage battery preheating(temperature dependent of course).

bp | 17 février 2020

For a car parked outside and/or not plugged in, driving the car is the best way to recover regen in the winter.

PteRoy | 17 février 2020

@fishev

But when it’s actually cold, driving doesn’t work. Tried it. You’ll have zero regen and you’ll have the snow flake icon.

Went out to dinner, it’s was -24c. Car was parked for a little over two hours. Pre heated for 20 minutes and drove almost all highway home for 40 minutes. Cold icon still there with zero to no regen. Also had no heat, not sure why.

In my experience, it depends on how cold it is outside.

FISHEV | 17 février 2020

"Also had no heat, not sure why."

Recirc not on and just not enough heater to over come -24C temp. air?

Seems foolish to blow 4kWh/16 miles of range, sorely needed at -24C temps, just so you don't have to use the brakes.

PteRoy | 17 février 2020

“Recirc not on and just not enough heater to over come -24C temp. air?“

Ah. Ya I don’t use recirc.

And yes, heating your car just to have regen is dumb. I do it so I’m not freezing my ass off when I get into the car. Getting regen from it is a bonus. Plus I’m so accustomed to regen, when I don’t have it (driving my ice vehicle) I forget how to drive.

@gb Planning on partially finishing my garage for pretty much the same thing. A warmer home for the car.

@fish Yes, it is a waste of energy. But I like Regen. And I have home charging set up so I can do what I prefer. Unlike your weird ass.

@derotam

That thing you have, the CANbus, can you run a test and see if cabin warming plugged in or not makes a difference to battery temp/regen dots?

@derotam

I wouldn't think being plugged would make a difference either. But I've warmed without being plugged in a few times this past week and its crazy how much more regen I get.

PteRoy | 17 février 2020

Mike UpNorth_ | February 17, 2020
@derotam

I wouldn't think being plugged would make a difference either. But I've warmed without being plugged in a few times this past week and its crazy how much more regen I get.

When I do this it causes my car to charge from the range loss it had sitting. I thought this was what was giving me the regen? You think it’s just heat?

FISHEV | 17 février 2020

" Yes, it is a waste of energy."

And then some as you are burning more energy via heating so you save a little energy gained via regen. Kind of like turning the AC on so you can have a fire in the fireplace.

teslamazing | 17 février 2020

Another thread hijacked by fish derailing it off topic. Wow!

Not sure if OP was asking what the most “efficient” way was or simply what ways ...

If your not wanting efficient, I noticed setting the nav to closest SC for precondition gives you full regen pretty quick.

Ron.Olsberg | 17 février 2020

If range is not needed, conditioning the cabin/traction battery should warm the battery quicker NOT plugged into shore power because of the battery heat generated from discharging the traction battery; however, doing so hundreds of time is going to reduce the traction battery life somewhat, ie more charge/discharge cycles. I have seen the traction battery cells warm 1-2F in about four hours when the car is awake drawing about 200W from the battery; therefore, if you were drawing 7KW to supply power to the stator windings in two motors and heating the cabin at say an average of 3-4KW would generate a fair amount cell warming due to 11KW power draw from the battery.

FISHEV | 17 février 2020

" I noticed setting the nav to closest SC for precondition gives you full regen pretty quick.

Regen typically kicks in about 10 miles from SC so unless the SC is close by, that strategy won't work.

Having a user activated "Battery Heater" would be great so that it could be turned on by driver if he wanted to get regen back or heat battery going to charger. It could have an auto-off after 10 minutes.

Keep forgetting I have the luxury of having 4 SCs in a 10-15 mile radius in our town.

@ron

Somewhat over my head but sounds like my OP is right! I'm finally right about something on this forum....shocker!

For others saying nav to a SC, I've tried that. I live 3 miles from a SC. Preconditioning for SC doesn't come on for some reason. It does for normal long distance drives but for some reason I can't trick it into preconditioning for SC when I leave the house.

DiminishedSeventh | 17 février 2020

@mike upnorth_ I’m about a mile from my nearest supercharger. It won’t start preconditioning until you put the car in gear. At least that’s been my experience. I tried sending the supercharger as a destination to my Tesla remotely before I left and when I got in, I didn’t see the precondition notification until I put the car in gear.

@mike that’s odd. Do you have another SC elsewhere within 10-15 miles ?

I have put it in gear. Drove a few blocks before just cancelling.

Next SC is 19 miles away.

What’s ur SOC when u set nav to precondition ? A high SOC usually doesn’t let you precondition.

That might be it. Almost always 80%+

Ahhh yes that is def it. Try the same SC when it’s like around 50%

Never that low unless trips.
Thanks for figuring out the reason it didn't work.

Jealous.

I work from home :)

That’s great.

Sellotape | 18 février 2020

Not sure that being unplugged is relevant. Lots more in Bjørn’s video here: https://youtu.be/_1jDOLX3dW8.

Toward the end, he says that it draws power from the charger if it can but it may take up to 13 kW if the cabin is cold, so that will deplete the battery.

derotam | 18 février 2020

Mike Upnorth: yeah I have been meaning to do some tests like that. The only issue is the question...are you trying to get rid of ALL the regen dots or not...that makes a difference in the testing. While plugged in, at some set battery temperature the active heating runs off, but this is not at the point where it has gotten rid of all the regen dots. What I dont know is if not being plugged in has that same set point.

I'm trying to get some tests done before it starts to warm up around here.

Ohh and so everyone knows, battery preconditioning by routing to a supercharger is not limited to the last 10 miles like FISHEV says, I've seen it come on while over 50 miles away from a supercharger. At highway speeds it doesn't do much of anything though....maybe that is why it activates so early.

teslamazing | 18 février 2020

@derotam I knew that was true. Was gonna say the same thing. FISHEV knows nothing.

@teslamazing, what are you talking about, FISHEV "knows" a lot of stuff...most of it all happens to be wrong but still...

teslamazing | 18 février 2020

Tru

Geico | 18 février 2020

Preheat your vehicle for at minimum 40 minutes from the app. As soon as the vehicle is unlocked, it stops heating the battery from the stator of the motors.

40 minutes preheating should cover just about any cold soaked battery situation

Mike UpNorth_ | 18 février 2020

I'm 100% convinced unplugging then warming the cabin is the best way to reduce limited regen.

It's 18f in MN right now. Cold soaked all night.
I unplugged. Warmed for 40 minutes. And ZERO regen dots.
That's awesome.

Granted it burned 10% SOC.

@Mike UpNorth: just want to be clear that warming the cabin in and of itself is not what reduced the regen limited dots. I say this to prevent someone from going into cold soaked car, turning on climate from the car display and then playing Stardew valley for 40 minutes....that individual will not get rid of those regen dots.

Go ahead, try that and report back. :)

I'm not understanding what you're saying.
I'm saying warming the cabin, while unplugged, reduces regen dots better/faster than warming cabin while plugged in.

What are you saying? (Not being snarky)

Joshan | 18 février 2020

how do we explain Tesla stating this, in that case?

Use Scheduled Departure or Precondition Before You Drive
If your Tesla is plugged in, you can conserve energy by warming it up before each trip. Use Scheduled Departure to add when to expect to leave so your car will be warmed and ready to go when you are. You can also preheat your car by activating preconditioning or defrost in the Tesla app.

For scheduled departure, tap 'Charging' > 'Scheduled Departure' > 'Schedule' > 'Depart At.'
To precondition, open the Tesla app and tap 'Climate' > 'Turn On.'

Because it's dumb and inefficient to unplug and warm the cabin.
But I'm telling you it gets rid of regen dots WAY better/faster than when I'm plugged in.

Try it for yourself.

Burning through 10% battery warming the cabin for 40 minutes unplugged kind of proves it's using more energy than plugged in. Charging for 10% takes me 60 minutes.

Bighorn | 18 février 2020

The power being drawn from the battery is heating it more efficiently than if the heat were from shore derived power is my take. It’s not a case of a warm cabin heating up the adjacent battery.

Pages