Forums

Powerwalls worked as advertised

Powerwalls worked as advertised

Lost power this morning at 0530 according to my phone when I woke up.
power transfer was flawless, no blinking lights or resets!
lost wifi due to Spectrum not having a backup battery in our area.
The Tesla App asked if I wanted to switch to cell service for monitoring, which I did and it worked perfectly!

gregbrew | 19 mai 2020

"The Tesla App asked if I wanted to switch to cell service for monitoring..." I didn't realize it would do that.

Very cool!

I recommend that anybody with PV and PWs flip their main breaker to "off" at least once a year to verify that everything is working properly. Try to minimize the active loads at the time, as opening or closing a breaker under a large load can cause arcing, which isn't kind to the breaker's contacts.

3500HDP3D | 21 mai 2020

I didn't either! It was the Gateways use of the AT&T service, because we use T-Mobile

Jones | 21 mai 2020

@ gregbrew

Agree with the off grid test - I actually do it quarterly - mostly to make sure that firmware updates have not somehow changed a behavior. I would also recommend that the breaker remain off for a significant period - at least an hour to make sure the load behavior of the battery is stable and sustainable. Also assess that the solar will appropriately perform in the off-grid state. And lastly - go thru the house and make sure that every device or appliance that you have on solar/battery still functions properly. If you start the test with everything or most things off, go thru and build the load by turning everything on. Y'all spent a boatload of $$ to install the thing - make sure it works. The 5 minute test at installation is nearly useless in assessing what will happen when you desperately need the thing to work.

gregbrew | 21 mai 2020

I just did my periodic test, and got puzzling results: If I flip the main breaker with full PWs and fully illuminated PV panels, the PWs go into a pulsing power mode, which drives electronics nuts. I can see it with ceiling fixtures pulsing on and off. If the PWs are not full, it transitions smoothly when the main is flipped, and then operates perfectly as the PWs become full and cycle on and off as they deplete a little and refill from the PV.

I'm going to run some more experiments to see if I can determine more specific conditions that cause this, before I call customer support. BTW, I've had great experiences the few times I've called customer support in the past. I got right through to a human in less than five minutes each time. The first-level support techs have been very knowledgeable, and I didn't need to elevate the relatively complex issues to a higher level of support.

TeslaTap.com | 21 mai 2020

@gregbrew - That sounds like the PWs are overloaded? While I'd not done it, if you're attempting to pull 60 amps from a pair of Powerwalls, I would expect they would drop off, and then reconnect to see if the load is within the allowable range. Some items, like an HVAC could cause it to oscillate as the overload starts up again.

sonoboy | 21 mai 2020

Check the frequency at the outlets when the light are pulsing, besides checking the loads. May take an adjustment by customer support.