Forums

From Silicon Valley to Death Valley in a Tesla

From Silicon Valley to Death Valley in a Tesla

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I just came across this travel log of a guy who drove his MS from Silicon Valley to Death Valley. The post caught my eye because if you have ever driven to Death Valley you know that one of the biggest concerns is your car overheating. Many a cooling system has been defeated by the heat of Death Valley.

But. With an electric car. Hmm. Nice.

I think I might try the run in the summer and see how the AC in my 3 holds up. Be a good torture test.

Click here.

Red Sage ca us | 22 juin 2016

The battery cells, by their very nature, have their optimum performance between about 35 degrees Fahrenheit (1.6 C) and 95 degrees Fahrenheit (32 C). That is a much narrower range than the 200 degrees Fahrenheit (93 C) to 500 degrees Fahrenheit (260 C) that might work for an ICE. It will be interesting to see what happens when the battery cells can also operate optimally in a wider range, perhaps down to much lower temperatures (-45° F, -42° C) or very high ones (130° F, 54° C). I would hope that would make for improved performance, greater range, and even better cabin cooling, along with battery management.

topher | 25 juin 2016

Seldom do engineering optimizations optimize all characteristics. I would expect (and hope) that Tesla would be optimizing for energy density (by weight), cheapness of materials, power density (by weight), charging time, longevity, and general hardiness before worrying about increasing temperature range.

Thank you kindly.