Forums

Why Does Chevy Hate Yellow? (Does Tesla hate yellow, too?)

Why Does Chevy Hate Yellow? (Does Tesla hate yellow, too?)

Saw the Bolt in yellow as an Opel and think it works better than the orange:
https://www.cnetDOTcom/roadshow/news/2017-opel-ampera-e-is-a-bolt-of-ele...

Would the Model 3 work in yellow?

Red Sage ca us | 1 octobre 2016

The traditional automotive industry seems to have had a 'standards' committee meeting of sorts and agreed that electric cars should be denoted by specific colors almost exclusively forevermore: Black, White, Silver, Blue, and International Emergency High Voltage Orange. I have seen one RED BMW i3, it was in the UK.

Oh, yeah... Did I mention orange?

Oops, missed the white...

jamilworm | 1 octobre 2016

I agree that yellow Bolt looks better than the orange in my opinion. I am hoping Tesla has a yellow 3.

As Red Sage mentioned its very rare for manufacturers to offer stock yellow cars. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Nissan Xterra, which looked great in yellow. I think Jeep Wrangler might have had yellow option at one point. Oh yeah and the Audi TT, another one that looked great in yellow.

KP in NPT | 1 octobre 2016

An old college friend had a yellow Hummer. Boy did that scream "I'm a DB"

jamilworm | 1 octobre 2016

@mp lol yeah, but I think that's more because it was a Hummer than the yellow color.

nadurse | 1 octobre 2016

Yellow looks good on lambos and thats about it. I have rarely seen a yellow car look awesome, imo

The old Honda Prelude looked pretty good in yellow. So did the Honda CR-X. Chevrolet Camaros and Corvettes have always looked pretty good in yellow as well. One of my Buddies, several years ago, was mighty happy to find a 1969 Camaro SS in yellow -- his birth year.

Efontana | 2 octobre 2016

Opel might have a history of yellow. Opel Mantas were yellow.

http://www.history-of-cars.com/images/opel/1970-manta-a-4c.jpg

Mjenkinsatgbi | 3 octobre 2016

I like orange personally

EVino | 3 octobre 2016
jamilworm | 3 octobre 2016

@Mjenkinsatgbi I like solid orange too sometimes. I liked the orange VW GTIs, But I don't like metallic orange or copper colors like the old FIts.

There's a yellow hundai Tiburaon in my neighborhood that looks really good and makes me jealous every time I see it.

I think that yellow Bolt looks pretty good, but I prefer the yellow to lean more toward orange than green.

makobill | 4 octobre 2016

Yellow on the right vehicle is very nice. My favorite corvette growing up was my neighbors in canary yellow. Oh so sweet!!! The Bolt above in yellow is OK.

Red Sage ca us | 4 octobre 2016

EVino: +1! The BOLT looks a whole lot more like a Honda in yellow.

Naturenut | 5 octobre 2016

Yellow and orange are not widely liked as car colors. Therefore, most car companies stay away from them.
I suggest if you really prefer a color not offered, to find a good paint shop.
Part of it is, most people that might think those colors are ok, realize they wouldn't want to live with it day after day. I shy away from colors that are very standard, because I know after about a month, i'm going to wish I just stayed with what I know I like. I've been on that shaky branch of I think that looks good and quickly regret it and had to live with it for years.

Red Sage ca us | 6 octobre 2016

Naturenut: The 'preferred colors' are mostly decided by 'independent franchised dealerships'. Their choices when ordering from traditional automobile manufacturers greatly influences what is available for the public at large to buy. And their decision making process is heavily weighted toward monotone shades of gray, grey, black, white, and silver. Take a look at one of their lots next time you pass by one. Those guys put an emphasis on the values, not colors. They even want their green, gold, bronze, and blue shades to be very dark and nearly black. So lime, yellow, orange, purple, and sky blue are much more rare than even RED -- except on certain Dodge vehicles that hark back to the good ole days of HEMI propulsion.

nils.poerner | 19 octobre 2016

Yellow is a great colour for some cars. I have a Seat Ibiza 6L in yellow and after 9 years I still like it. Besides it is pretty easy to find the car on a big parking. You can check it out in Google pictures.

DTsea | 20 octobre 2016

almost everybody hates yellow.... makes car look like a taxi