Forums

Can the 3 have a towbar please?

Can the 3 have a towbar please?

The S doesn't have one - yet - the X is too big and expensive and that leaves the 3.

How about it Tesla?

michelrusso57 | 15 octobre 2016

Good plan. As option I imagine?

melinda.v | 15 octobre 2016

The motor(s) are always engages with the wheels, so you can not tow a Tesla with the wheels down. I don't see that changing for the Model 3.

Maxxer | 15 octobre 2016

ain't the X and S based on the same platform?

topher | 15 octobre 2016

Do you mean ability to tow, or the ability to be towed? For the former, Elon is on record as saying the ≡ will have the option to be able to tow, (how much weight, and if air shocks are required is unknown).

Thank you kindly.

gregcropper | 15 octobre 2016

I heard a lecture by Robert Llewellyn who told a story about a man who had his Leaf towed while in gear, totally against the owners manual, and that it had in fact put range back on the battery.

gregcropper | 15 octobre 2016

I thought a towbar was the thing you put on your vehicle so you can tow it behind an RV or something like that. I might be wrong.

Red Sage ca us | 15 octobre 2016

In Europe it seems the phrase 'tow bar' stands for what we call a 'tow hitch' in the US.

dave.m.mcdonough | 16 octobre 2016

Towing w/ an engaged electric motor is harmless. It just spins, no load.

jordanrichard | 17 octobre 2016

Yes there is no load on the AC motor, but the load is felt in the gear reduction box.

jfriedwf | 19 octobre 2016

Towbar means to me a hook to pull a trailer or to carry bikes on it. This should be an option to model 3. I hope it will be possible.

alain.deboyser | 19 octobre 2016

Towbar means also to me a hook to pull a trailer or to carry bikes on it. This should be an option to model 3. I hope it will be possible; it is the only way to travel carrying two bicycles.

Red Sage ca us | 19 octobre 2016

Yes. The Model ☰ will have a tow hitch/towbar option, per Elon Musk.

PhillyGal | 19 octobre 2016

I couldn't for the life of me figure out why you needed a towel bar in your car.

Reading is fundamental ;)

jdanielp_uk | 19 octobre 2016

It's important to know where your towel is.

dsvick | 19 octobre 2016

@PG - "I couldn't for the life of me figure out why you needed a towel bar in your car."

It goes with post a few weeks ago (it may have been on the TMC site) from the person that wanted a bumper shower added as an option.