Forums

Model ☰ without a garage or driveway?

Model ☰ without a garage or driveway?

I see that there is a post on the challenges of owning a Model ☰ without a garage but how many are buying one without having either a garage or driveway? I live in a row house and don't have a driveway or even guaranteed parking on the street so it's possible that someone's car could be in front of my home at any time.

Nevertheless, I am thinking of installing a charger on a post on our property beside the sidewalk. This would mean that every time I wanted to charge I would have to place a mat over the sidewalk for the cord. Is this feasible? It is ridiculous? Depending on the amount of usage, I *might* even make it a de facto public charging spot but my electricity bills will decide that.

There are other options, like putting a charger on a driveway on the right-of-way beside my house but I like the idea of people getting used to seeing electric cars being charged in a very public way. Any thoughts or advice from others in the same situation?

EaglesPDX | 29 octobre 2016

Don't think it's feasible. The cord and mat on the sidewalk would be a crazy liability. First person who trips over it owns your Tesla and maybe your house.

You'd have to charge at public stations. Depending on how much your drive and how many times a week you have to charge, where and what the charger is, that would be feasible or not. If you can fully charge at work that would be feasible.

Red Sage ca us | 30 octobre 2016

Check with your local municipal building authority. You may be able to have the curb painted for EV Only between hours of your choosing. And, they may allow the outlet to be closer to the curb itself, like a parking meter, to avoid a tripping hazard. You may even find there is a State incentive program that would sponsor an installation, lowering your cost. That would help, even if only by way of rebate or tax reduction.

Haggy | 30 octobre 2016

Then again, if state law allows it, it won't stop your neighbor from parking an EV there.

I personally feel that if you don't live near a supercharger, and don't have a permanent place to park where you can charge, the inconvenience wouldn't be worth it. But I can't speak for everybody and if it's your dream to have one, I know how agonizing the wait was for my Model S.

If you do live near a supercharger, and it's in a location where you would normally do shopping or eat out once or twice a week, it might not be all that bad. You might be able to buy a decent meal for what you'd otherwise spend on gasoline.

You could also check with your employer to see if there's any chance of getting EV charging at work. It's becoming common in my area. Also keep an eye on supercharge.info to see if there's anything being added near you. It's not an official Tesla site, but Tesla doesn't post the location of every place it takes out a permit. Since that information is public record, it often makes it to supercharge.info before people see it anywhere else.

I hate talking anybody out of buying one and I believe that for most people it will be the best car they ever owned (except current Tesla owners, who will still love it) but one of the biggest advantages of an EV is never having to stop for gas or having to wait around, except for long trips. But even for long trips, you can charge when you'd be stopped anyway.

JeffreyR | 30 octobre 2016

@Haggy makes some good points. You can also add the experience of this guy in Brooklyn that makes things work:
Owning a Tesla in Brooklyn

and this guy's story that was linked to from the other one:

From NYC to SF, owning a Tesla in the city is a breeze!

Good luck, and remember. You won't be the only one figuring this out.

JRKingston | 31 octobre 2016

Thanks for these tips. I'm only 5 miles from a supercharger and it's basically where we get gas so I'm used to going there. The home charger is not a deal breaker for me but your ideas make me think I should use the Supercharger in the short term and also check out supercharge.info to see other options. I also did not think of checking what incentives my municipality offered. Good idea. Thanks.

PhillyGal | 31 octobre 2016

Side note:

If you opt to use your nearby supercharger frequently, please follow these not-yet-written rules:

Only go during off-peak travel times.
Stay with your car, move as soon as you're done
Only charge to 90%. The remaining charge takes long and you shouldn't occupy the charger for that
Move immediately if all chargers are full. Even if you aren't as full as you want, you can get home and come back another time. Someone on a long distance trip shouldn't have to wait.

Haggy | 31 octobre 2016

I mostly agree, but there's no reason to stay with your car. Just keep track of your phone app. If you see you are getting near the charge you need, be ready to move your car.

If you are at 90%, are in the middle of a meal, and 8/10 slots are empty, there's no reason to get up and move the car. If it's a busy time of day and people are waiting, or there are few spots available and there might be a wait, then move the car when you have enough charge.

If I had to sit in the car to charge, I'd never buy it. If I could drive five minutes to a supercharger, get a good meal, and come out when the car is close to 90%, I'd feel comfortable.

Some locations almost always have most spots available, have supermarkets, restaurants and stores nearby, and I'd be willing to go there at least once a week if I lived there. Others aren't so attractive. If you are fortunate enough to live near a good location, then go for it. It might be pushing it if you go for a movie, but at some locations you will find that most of the time, most spaces are empty and you can use rational judgment.

topher | 1 novembre 2016

"I mostly agree, but there's no reason to stay with your car. Just keep track of your phone app. If you see you are getting near the charge you need, be ready to move your car."

How do you satisfy rule 4 if you leave your car? While Tesla *should* make the full state of the Supercharger available on the phone app, it isn't my understanding that they do currently.

Haggy | 1 novembre 2016

You should have a good idea when you show up how busy a supercharger station is. That's even more true if you live near it and use it regularly. If it's a holiday weekend there's a better chance that there will be heavier traffic. If you typically go there on Wednesdays at 11 am and find you are the only car, and when you leave at 11:30 am you rarely see more than one other, then it's a safe bet that you won't inconvenience anybody if you keep charging more than you absolutely need, but aren't at your set level. If usage changes over time, you will notice.

There are places that might be empty when you get there and full when you leave, or vice versa. I've had that happen when I went for an early breakfast near Fountain Valley, which is a very busy location in general, and while it was empty when I got there it was almost full when I was ready to leave. I was 400 miles from home and didn't feel a compelling need to open up space for the convenience of a local driver, but it would be nice if local drivers timed it so they inconvenienced travelers as little as possible.

But I've also gotten to superchargers where most spaces were taken and it was near the start of lunchtime on a route where it was the only feasible stop. By the time I got back, there were three cars left, including mine, and one was pulling out. When I got to my car, it was one of two and we were A|B, meaning I ended up in the worst possible space. As I got to my car, the driver of the remaining car showed up.

So there are definitely peak times followed by periods of non-use, and vice versa.

jordanrichard | 1 novembre 2016

Just to add to the "to-do" list for the supercharger and walking away from your car, leave a small card in the window with your cell number on it. This way, if in fact the rest of the stalls get filled and another person pulls up needing a charge, they can call you.

On that note, no pun intended, Tesla should make up small placards for us to place on our dashboards for this such purpose and should make that part of the Delivery process for new owners.

PhillyGal | 1 novembre 2016

@Haggy - I agree it's not ideal to stay with your car but you're probably thinking about long distance trips rather than driving 5 minutes from home for the sole purpose of charging.

But you're right - you can exercise good judgement if you're in the middle of a meal and the chargers are mostly empty.

leskchan | 1 novembre 2016

I agree that everyone should be good citizen and cordially share SC use. People who understand it, practice it on their own. People who don't, only react to their wallet.

I would go as far to suggest Tesla to implement a charge for "non-charging" time. When you are charged up, leave in 5 minutes, or Tesla charge you $5 an hour.

virgored | 2 novembre 2016

This is a massive issue in the UK, as most houses do not have off-street parking and flat/apertments have no provision for charging
I know several people would love to own a Tesla but have no where to charge it

alphacompton | 2 novembre 2016

I thought I was unlucky to not have a garage as most (afaik) Tesla owners store their car in one but not having a driveway sounds even worse, but I think there's nothing wrong with someone using the supercharger as their only source of charging. I understand long distance travelers may be a little inconvenienced if there's a wait but keep in mind, that this type of charging probably won't take as long since he won't be traveling from super chargers to super charger on the highway. He won't have to charge it to full and he won't have to charge it from near empty. In addition the main goal is is a greener eco system, a little wait at the Super charger, I'm hoping is worth it to save the planet even if it's just a little. Also the faster we transition away from gasoline powered vehicles the faster we will build more electric facilities and super chargers.

andy.connor.e | 2 novembre 2016

Hope you get a chargepoint account!

Haggy | 3 novembre 2016

What would make sense is for Tesla to work with garages in big cities like NYC where people pay to park and attendants move cars around. That way, cars could be charged throughout the day in rotation. Considering people tend to park for an eight hour workday, and tend to park every weekday, superchargers wouldn't be needed. A standard wall charger would work and cars could be moved after a few hours.

The only problem is that there's nothing set up for remote monitoring of charging aside from doing it with the app on a car by car basis.

JeffreyR | 3 novembre 2016

@Haggy would the charge port change color? If so you could use that as an indicator. Also, it makes sense to simply check for rotation on an hourly basis. The valet would note on the ticket the hour to check (or hang them in groups), then rotate the ones that were done in that hour. If they found they needed tighter notification, the power draw could be monitored on "the wall" instead.

A simple video detection module could see the change in color too. I deal w/ VMD all the time, and it's pretty cool what can be done nowadays.

leskchan | 3 novembre 2016

There is no need to over-solve this problem with unneeded technologies. You just need to change the business model.

Take ChargePoint for instance. They typical charge $1/hr for the 3 hours and then $3/hr. Their business is to provide charging, not parking, so there is a premium if you don't leave after 3 hours. BTW, they use L2 so you get 25 miles/hr.

For parking garage, their business is parking so they want you to park as long as possible. They just need to add chargers to some parking stalls. $X for regular parking stalls. $X + $2 for EV charger stalls. Having lived in NY for a couple of years, I would park my EV for $X + $2. I would just let it sit regardless of charge state. I wouldn't want to get up in the middle of night and walk blocks to the garage to move my EV to a regular stall.

JRKingston | 7 novembre 2016

With the announcement of the supercharger fees, I think there is a greater appeal for a home charger even if it means the cord across a sidewalk (underneath a mat of course). But I have lots of time to ponder options.

dave.m.mcdonough | 7 novembre 2016

It doesn't sound like it'll be significant $ though, I doubt people will care.
It's about which is more convenient.
Unless they are the type to be inconvenienced an hour to save $5.

SamO | 7 novembre 2016

Charge at your local Supercharger. Tesla now has a plan allowing for pay as you go.

Sorted.

Haggy | 7 novembre 2016

The charging port does light up to show activity but not when the car is locked. You'd have to remember to disable automatic locking. Or if it became a common concern, automatic locking could have a geolocation trusted location feature just like smartphones. I think it's premature to ask Tesla for that feature. On the other hand, it would keep my car from blinking its lights and presenting its door handles each time I go into the garage to get a screwdriver, but if I park a few feet away in the garage, I would have to hope the geolocation is precise enough.