Forums

Rex Tillerson of ExxonMobil Expected to Be Named Trump's Secretary of State: Sources

Rex Tillerson of ExxonMobil Expected to Be Named Trump's Secretary of State: Sources

I just can't stop laughing!

--------------------------------

Donald Trump is expected to nominate ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson as his secretary of state, two sources close to the transition process told NBC News on Saturday.

The 64-year-old veteran oil executive has no government or diplomatic experience. The pick would put to rest weeks-long speculation of who would earn the post as the U.S.'s top diplomat. Tillerson would be fourth in line to the presidency.

Tillerson will be paired with former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton as his deputy secretary of state, one of the sources added, with Bolton handling day-to-day management of the department.
The sources cautioned that nothing is final until the president-elect officially announces it, which could happen as early as next week.

Tillerson, who was once dubbed "T.Rex" by Sarah Palin, met Saturday with Trump at Trump Tower in New York City, the president-elect's spokesperson confirmed.
But Trump spokesman Jason Miller said no official announcement is expected until "next week at the earliest."

Tillerson, of Wichita Falls, Texas, has already notified his corporate board about taking on the new role, sources told NBC News. He is set to retire from ExxonMobil next year, Reuters reported.
He has never previously worked in government, but reportedly holds conservative political views.

Tillerson has made tens of thousands of dollars worth of political donations over the past two decades to Republican groups and candidates, including to President George W. Bush and former Texas Gov. Jeb Bush, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, a nonpartisan research group.

But little is known about where he stands on foreign policy, and as secretary of state, he would have to hit the ground running on major issues. Among them: handling the nuclear agreement with Iran that the Obama administration made in 2015; the sanctions imposed on Russia; disputes with China and North Korea; the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Syria; and rebuilding Afghanistan and Iraq.

While he has spent his entire career in the energy sector, Tillerson does have experience dealing with foreign governments since ExxonMobil operates in more than 50 countries.
He already has ties with Russian President Vladimir Putin as well, after representing the company's interests in Russia during the Boris Yeltsin administration.

In 2013, the Kremlin bestowed the country's Order of Friendship honor on Tillerson.

At an ExxonMobil shareholders' meeting in May 2014, Tillerson touched on his disapproval of sanctions.
"We do not support sanctions, generally, because we don't find them to be effective unless they are very well implemented comprehensively and that's a very hard thing to do," he said, adding, "We always encourage the people who are making those decisions to consider the very broad collateral damage of who are they really harming with sanctions."

One of ExxonMobil's and Russia's biggest deals fell victim to the sanctions imposed by the Obama administration in reaction to Russia invading Crimea in 2014. That deal would have reportedly been worth $500 billion.

But not every Trump supporter has championed Tillerson.

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., told NBC News on Saturday he has concerns over Tillerson's ties with Russia and that it would be the subject of any Senate confirmation hearing.
In her book, "Going Rogue: An American Life," former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin went after him for how ExxonMobil handled the media attention and dialogue between the Alaskan government and the company over a proposed oil pipeline in her state.

"We knew we were headed in the right direction when the threats from some oil industry players began — everything from nasty emails to multimillion-dollar ad campaigns. Though none of the Big Three oil companies wanted to move away from their relationships with the previous administration, ExxonMobil seemed particularly hostile," she wrote.

Tillerson's role and financial stake in ExxonMobil — the fifth-largest publicly traded company in the world with a $369 billion market cap — could open up cases of conflict of interest. His ExxonMobil shares are reportedly worth about $151 million.

Former GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney had been among the leading names of potential candidates for the post, and despite clashing with Trump on the campaign trail — even trading bitter barbs with one another — the pair seemed to reconcile.

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani also was reportedly in the running, although he said Friday he had taken his name out of consideration.

Bolton, 68, was also floated as a possible secretary of state finalist. He was U.S. ambassador to the United Nations from August 2005 to December 2006 under George W. Bush.
While he is a self-described advocate of the Ronald Reagan foreign policy idea of "peace through strength," his hawkish stances have not been without controversy, and he was a vocal proponent of the war in Iraq.

"We are confident that Saddam Hussein has hidden weapons of mass destruction and production facilities in Iraq," Bolton had said in 2002 while serving as George W. Bush's undersecretary of state for Arms Control and International Security.

He continued to defend his position even after it was discovered that Iraq harbored no weapons of mass destruction.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rex-tillerson-of-exxonmobil-expec...

carlk | 10 décembre 2016

Putin is laughing even harder than you now.

SbMD | 10 décembre 2016

One of my friends joked with me today when we saw this news breaking, "It's great that you bought a Tesla and tried to do the right thing, but looks like it was for nothing."

SO | 10 décembre 2016

I don't understand why so many people think we only buy a tesla because it's "the right thing to do".

I'm bought it because I have never had any other vehicle impress me as much as a Tesla. And I believe that is true for many Tesla owners.

SO | 10 décembre 2016

If a democrat had won and the communistic style leaders were the ones praising the win, don't you think republicans would be having a hairy over that?

Dramsey | 10 décembre 2016

"I'm bought it because I have never had any other vehicle impress me as much as a Tesla. And I believe that is true for many Tesla owners."

Certainly for me. I wouldn't care if it ran on the tears of baby unicorns.

SO | 10 décembre 2016

Dramsey - LOL!

SO | 10 décembre 2016

And to be fair to other manufacturers, I really liked the Corvette, Porsche and Lamborghini.....when I was 12.

SCCRENDO | 10 décembre 2016

@SbMD. Well at least some of us.
@Silver. I also cannot stop laughing when I hear each pick. The one is worse than the other. Then I realize that this is not a comedy show. It's the near term future of the country. Then I start crying.

Mel. | 10 décembre 2016

Crying, of course you are crying, you're a snowflake.

Silver2K | 10 décembre 2016

I think the laughter just morphs into crying, it's how trump envisioned it.

Mel.

honestly, what is your age range.. I'm not trying to be insulting, i just want to point something out to you as a republican

Trumps picks are so embarrassing, Giuliani even pulled out....

Mel.

this is what your republicans are trying to do

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/money/the-gop-unveils-a-permanent-save-for...

@Silver. Some great comments. These guys are pretty scary. They have been threatening to mess with social security and Medicare almost since I remember. Ironically Obamacare extended the life of Medicare. Like a lot of Trump and Republican promises some may be harder to do. Even hardcore Republicans have seniors at home. Most seniors really don't want anyone messing with their Medicare and Social Security even hardcore Republican seniors. Most congressmen are smart enough to not annoy seniors. Like most seniors I have paid into both for decades. In 18 months I expect to get my full Medicare benefits promised and I am planning to wait till 70 to draw social security and I expect to get everything I was promised.

@Mel. You are getting tiresome. I credited you to be a little smarter and more personable than many of the new breed of low intellect obnoxious conservatives and libertarians trolling these sites. Seems like I may have misjudged you. You continue your little cameo pop ups mostlly directly targeted at me. Do you not have anything better to do than stalk me? If you have something to contribute go for it. I am happy to engage you in an intellectual manner. If this is the best you can do I will not engage you from now on.

SO | 10 décembre 2016

@SC - unfortunately you cannot tell these people. They need to find out the hard way. In time they will see it. But of course by then the damage will have been done. Enjoy today and enjoy your Tesla.

robert.s.bjekich | 10 décembre 2016

The most important task for the next Secretary of State will be to help manage the transition from fossil fuels to various alternatives. This will involve the oil producing countries through out the world. George Schultz, CEO of Bechtel, was the last great Secretary of State because he had the influence necessary to keep OPEC from causing economic chaos. The transition to alternatives will happen but needs to be accomplished without destroying utilities, energy companies, transportation funding and other related interests. As much as I would like to see the transition to happen tomorrow it must be managed to avoid economic chaos. I own two homes with solar systems and two Tesla's so I am committed but we must be realistic with decisions about the future. Great choice.

@robert. No one is arguing that the transition off fossil fuels needs to managed. And we were beginning to manage it. Choosing the CEO of Exxon-Mobil who is in bed with Putin does not seem like the way most sane people would manage a transition off fossil fuels. Exxon Mobil had a great deal with Putin that was cancelled when we imposed sanctions on Russia. Do you think he is going to want to maintain sanctions on Russia? Will he talk solar panels or oil as he travels the world? We will survive it? Of Course. But we have just joined the banana republics.

Ross1 | 10 décembre 2016

But we have just joined the banana republics;

yes, that is the impression from outside the country.
USA has lost all respect.
And we fear for the flow-on.

Remnant | 11 décembre 2016

@SilverP85plus (OP, December 10, 2016)

<< Rex Tillerson of ExxonMobil Expected to Be Named Trump's Secretary of State ... The 64-year-old veteran oil executive has no government or diplomatic experience, ... [but he] will be paired with former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton as his deputy secretary of state, with Bolton handling day-to-day management of the department. >>

A smart blend of skills and experience between the two of them, IMO.

Al1 | 11 décembre 2016

President-elect Donald Trump’s transition team dismissed claims of foreign interference in this year’s elections as the CIA reportedly concluded that Russia had intervened to help the Republican candidate and shared its findings with lawmakers in a private briefing.

Exxon Mobil Corp. Chief Executive Officer Rex Tillerson ... a man whose ties to Russian President Vladimir Putin go back almost two decades.

Senator McCarthy called. He wants his commission back.

Al1 | 11 décembre 2016

"A smart blend of skills and experience between the two of them".

Between Putin's man and smoke screen with no function? Let's see who wants to play in this masquerade.

Silver2K | 11 décembre 2016

We will once again sleep with the enemy and regret it later and blame it on the then President. We did this with Iraq, Iran, Osama Bin Laden, Syria (desert storm) and now with Putin.

These republicans continue their destructive actions with no remorse!

SCCRENDO | 11 décembre 2016

@Remnant. He may be smart and experienced. However his appointment does not go down well with people who understand the relationship with fossil fuels, the deterioration of our environment and climate change. In fact most of the responsible world understands the need to transition off fossil fuels into alternate fuels. Also most savvy people understand that Putin needs to be discouraged not encouraged in his world enedeavors. Of course it would be great to be able to work with him.

Many would suggest that as smart and experience as this guy is he is completely the opposite guy to appoint to achieve these endeavors. The winner indeed gets the spoils. Unfortunately to most of us here it depresses us to see who and what nearly half of the country's electorate elected perhaps even with a little Russian help.

We are also friends with Turkey, a country that denies the Armenian Genocide. This is the same as if Germany denied the Holocaust and we remain their friends.

Remnant | 11 décembre 2016

@SilverP85plus (December 11, 2016)

<< These republicans continue their destructive actions with no remorse! >>

Wow ... !!!

So, Hillary has been a Republican after all.

All this time ... !!!

You're comparing email mistakes to more that 100k killed for no reason?
You have got to be kidding me....Is crack free in your area?

PrimeTime | 11 décembre 2016

"Because man has within him a lust for hatred and destruction. In normal times this passion exists in a latent state, it emerges only in unusual circumstances; but it is a comparatively easy task to call it into play and raise it to the power of a collective psychosis. " Albert Einstein

RedShift | 11 décembre 2016

@silverp85

"Is crack free in your area?"

No, but when a head is cracked, no reason will stay inside. It's purely tribal now. Watch and wait, as these mokes try and fuck up more than Bush for the next 4 years.

J.T. | 12 décembre 2016

For those who are concerned about Trump's appointments and the resistance some of them will have perhaps you could suggest alternates who would be universally accepted, and when I say universally accepted I don't just mean by the left.

Trump won waging an unconventional campaign. This has inflated his already over inflated ego. He actually thinks that losing the popular vote by over 2 million equals mandate. So, let's not be surprised when he wants to pick billionaires and 4 star generals to run everything. He thinks he knows what's wrong and he thinks people who have been incredibly successful in one endeavor have the skills to make things right, whatever that will eventually mean. I certainly agree that it's better than appointing people who have failed at everything they've tried and had to turn to politics to get a steady job.

You say the seniors don't like people messing with social security and medicare. You say workers won't like their dream of $15/ hour minimum wage for unskilled labor to end. You say that we shouldn't mess with public education. You say that everything Trump is planning is going to hurt some group somewhere.

Well, duh!!

He wants to change things. I don't necessarily agree with the way he wants to change things, but I do know that in order for him to change things some things are going to have to change. Why is that so surprising to everyone?

Silver2K | 13 décembre 2016

It's official!

More Russian ties that even McConnell and Ryan are against. These 2 are party first thinkers. McConnell also made a great point in saying that the CIA report on "Russian influence and hacking" should be respected and not made a mockery of. He states that the individuals in the CIA have put their lives on the line for this country many times and they should be respected.

I was hoping Trump would get better, but he's getting worse by the minute.

Silver2K | 13 décembre 2016

I find it funny that Trump calls investigations lies without any proof of his own. I think this idiot thinks whatever he says should be taken as enough proof to debunk anything.