Forums

Where will the ugly amber reflector go for US based cars?

Where will the ugly amber reflector go for US based cars?

On the Model S and X they seem to do a nice job of tucking it into the fog lights. The design on the front end of the 3 is different.

Personally I hate amber reflectors, but US DOT requires them.

Any guesses as to how they'll accomplish it?

I noticed that on all of the spy photos and alpha cars they have an amber bulb, but that alone does not satisfy the DOT.

This is what you do when you can't wait for your car.... you stare at the same photos over and over again and wonder....

skygraff | 28 février 2017

All the images I see have the amber reflector tucked in the slim light strip below the headlight. Don't know if that's a fog light or something else.

Red Sage ca us | 28 février 2017

Are you speaking of reflectors or spotters? Reflectors are typically employed on bicycles. Amber turn signals or parking/fog lights are something else.

At the Solar Roof presentation, the Model ☰ that was on display had amber lights as part of the headlight assembly. Since they are probably RGB LED headlights, it is probably possible to program them to be multiple different colors. Thus, an Easter Egg might be for Christmas lights, flashing between Red, Green, and White... Or police/fire/safety lighting for municipal use, Red/Blue/White, Red/Amber/White, or Amber/White flash settings...

SoFlaModel3 | 28 février 2017

US DOT requires all vehicles to have amber reflectors on each front/side of the vehicle.

Bulbs alone do not meet this requirement.

Look at any car on the road and you will see it built into the headlight, fog light, or front number itself.

On the S and X it's in the fog light and very small.

On the 3 you see an orange bulb but no reflector.

OK. So... Why do you 'hate amber reflectors'...? Do you have a pressing need to hide your car from oncoming vehicles at night or on foggy days? Is this a matter of spycraft, or are you in need to be as incognito as possible while stalking someone? Are RED reflectors more palatable, or BLUE, or GREEN, or something else? I dund get it, Lucy.

SoFlaModel3 | 28 février 2017

No no no .... personally I just think they're ugly but DOT requires them.

Mostly was just bored and daydreaming looking at pictures and noticed they weren't installed on the alpha cars.

Y'aight. Gotcha.

nariche | 4 mars 2017

If you look at the M3 on your "mytesla" page, you will see the design is different and includes the amber reflectors on the front bumper/foglight

SoFlaModel3 | 5 mars 2017

Nice find! Very small and mostly out of sight, so I like it!

topher | 5 mars 2017

"mostly out of sight,"

What a horrible assessment of a safety visibility feature. The exact opposite of the job it has to accomplish.

Thank you kindly.

SoFlaModel3 | 5 mars 2017

Well it does its job.

It reflect when light is directed at it. In broad daylight they have done a good job of integrating it into the vehicle.