Forums

DUAL MOTOR OPTION AVAILABLE

DUAL MOTOR OPTION AVAILABLE

Will there be a dual motor (4WD) option on the M3 and what will it cost?

KP in NPT | 23 mars 2017

They've said it will be available but have not announced the cost for that or any other option.

dsvick | 23 mars 2017

Elon did tweet once that dual motors would less than it is on the model S. Not that that helps a whole lot ...

Carl Thompson | 23 mars 2017

The cars at the reveal were dual motor!

Carl

getsolarizednow | 23 mars 2017

Personally, I think the dual motor highest with the capacity battery is the only way to go. More range and more power better traction well worth the extra cash.

carlgo2 | 23 mars 2017

The more performance, the easier to sell to trade in some day. Luxury stuff seems less important. My fast and sporty cars always sold right away, while run of the mill models...bleah, not that much interest to buyers.

Tcloutier5890 | 23 mars 2017

Good point carlgo2. I have considered maxing the power options for resale value and immediate gratification. The price will determine where I end up.

alphacompton | 24 mars 2017

I'm ordering the dual motor option for the better use on snow but also for the added performance. I'm usually an easy going driver but once in a while I wouldn't mind getting a (literal) kick out of the Model 3.

Manuelramirez42 | 24 mars 2017

There will be no Dual motor for people that have reserved early.

dsvick | 24 mars 2017

"There will be no Dual motor for people that have reserved early."

You'll need to back that up with something. There is a rumor that early production models will be RWD but that doesn't mean that people that reserved early won't just be able to wait to get AWD if that's what they want.

Manuelramirez42 | 24 mars 2017

Yea Elon musk just tweeted that they can wait 6-9 months longer

Carl Thompson | 24 mars 2017

Yup, Elon tweeted that. But he didn't exactly say 6-9 months _longer_. He just said 6-9 months. So that could mean sometime between September and January.

Carl

Ehninger1212 | 24 mars 2017

i wonder how that will work? Do you think tesla will give the option to configure with AWD and then give you an ETA?

dd.micsol | 24 mars 2017

dual motors will be 3500 more.

dd.micsol | 24 mars 2017

but you might want to consider the packages before selecting one. Options will be bundled to speed up production lines.

KP in NPT | 24 mars 2017

dd knock it off - you do know know how much any option is or if there will be bundling.

Flagged.

KP in NPT | 24 mars 2017

Ehninger they will likely let you configure with AWD and then you will wait until they get to AWD, probably in the dark until the first person reports "I configured AWD and I just got an email that my car is in production!" Which will hit all media and will be widely reported.

Or maybe Tesla will announce it. Who knows.

4fishtankz | 24 mars 2017

6 to 9 months longer is a sliding scale and relative. 6 to 9 months after what? Now? after the release of the RWD? A point in time? Ugh need more info to decide what I'm going to do :(.

4fishtankz | 24 mars 2017

KP, there's a hole in your configure logic in that they will configure the AWD with the RWD and then waiting and seeing. I hear that once you configure, you can no longer back out. If that's the case and there's no telling when the AWD is produced a lot of things could evaporate (like incentives and credits) that people were counting on and the cost would be significantly higher and it is too late to back out.

KP in NPT | 24 mars 2017

You configure, and then there is a grace period before you CONFIRM. We don't know when they confirmation will be required.

It could be that the open the configurator to reservationists, AWD isn't even an option. So, you won't bother configuring until AWD option is available. Actually that's more likely - I think that's what they just did with the 100D. I wasn't in the market so I wasn't paying close attention. ;) Maybe someone here will know.

KP in NPT | 24 mars 2017

You configure, and then there is a grace period before you CONFIRM. We don't know when they confirmation will be required.

It could be that the open the configurator to reservationists, AWD isn't even an option. So, you won't bother configuring until AWD option is available. Actually that's more likely - I think that's what they just did with the 100D. I wasn't in the market so I wasn't paying close attention. ;) Maybe someone here will know.

KP in NPT | 24 mars 2017

I swear I only pressed save once. LOL

Frank99 | 24 mars 2017

KP was ninja'ed by KP!

Badbot | 26 mars 2017

I was thinking about dual motors but trump seems to be pushing global warming to a fast enough pace soon snow will be a memory

SoFlaModel3 | 26 mars 2017

^^^ this is not true. It is not confirmed that 2017 will only see cars delivered to employees. Further no one knows anything more than what Elon tweeted about dual motor coming in 6-9 months.

That means we don't know when that 6-9 months starts.

We don't know what happens when you go to order. Will you see the feature and get a delayed ETA. Will you not see the feature and be forced to decide if you want the car now or to defer your order.

We know for sure EaglesPDX has no clue...

Haggy | 27 mars 2017

We have no idea if Tesla will do the same as what they do with the Model S/X. Chances are the deposit will be lower. The amount of time to confirm an order might be the same, but there's nothing stopping Tesla from allowing customers to order AWD from the beginning, giving them a long term estimate, and not require a commitment or deposit for months, and leave it as a reservation but for a specific car.

As for the deposit, it's a matter of what's reasonable. The amount of damage to Tesla if a person backs out after confirming is less than it is for a Model S. They'd be able to sell it almost instantly by adding it to the website as an inventory car. As to how they handle reservations for people who want AWD, it doesn't matter much if they will get the car around the same time either way.