Forums

With autopilot having such unrealistic expectations why do so many of us want it??

With autopilot having such unrealistic expectations why do so many of us want it??

Article today - or comment by Elon.
I don't want it if our expectations are unrealistic.
I'll wait for version 4.2 (on version 2.1 right now)
Don't waste your money if you expect it to completely drive the car.
If you activate it you have to agree to the disclaimer. You can't sue Tesla ever for anything while autopilot is enabled.
You agree to use it at your own risk.
I'm not bashing Tesla. In fact, I think they have made great strides and should continue, but don't put your life on the line using autopilot.
You still need to pay attention.
I, for one, will not being buying autopilot and haven't for any of my Teslas.
There are good uses for it, but a HUD/GPS would have been better than autopilot.
-Hello, I am JohnnyCab 'Total Recall'

JayInJapan | 21 avril 2017

AP1 makes my road trips even more of a pleasure. dd.micsol's posts? Not so much...

akgolf | 21 avril 2017

I'll agree to the disclaimer and purchase it and pay attention.

KP in NPT | 21 avril 2017

It would help if you would like the article you are referencing.

It would also help if you actually had a AP car and knew what you were talking about.

dd.micsol | 21 avril 2017

I was referring to those who question they might want it. I'm simply saying your money would probably be better spent on other options. JayInJapan do with you life what you will. You should watch Harry Potter while on autopilot.
LOL.

JayInJapan | 21 avril 2017

I keep my hands on the wheel and eyes on the road at all times, just like the manual says.

akgolf | 21 avril 2017

Well we disagree. My money will be better spent on auto pilot, unless something happens and it busts my budget.

Since it could be added later it is an option that could be left off the order.

like = link

AP/no AP totally depends on the individual. I would not order a Tesla without it. But I do a lot of highway driving in heavy traffic. I know I will use it regularly and I don't want to pay more to have it activated later.

It also sounds like you are conflating AP with FSD. "Don't waste your money if you expect it to completely drive the car." - AP will never completely drive the car. If you "expect" that, then that is a problem.

That said, I agree in waiting on FSD, unless you are 100% sure you will use it (you are buying expecting to join the Tesla Network, don't want to pay more to activate later, and believe the capability will be enabled during a reasonable amount of time.)

Red Sage ca us | 21 avril 2017

Just as it isn't arrogance if you can do it... And isn't overconfidence if you can do it... And isn't bragging if you have done it... It isn't an unrealistic expectation if you believe you can do it.

The most unrealistic expectations any of us have around here is that it might be possible to have a fruitful exchange of ideas with trolls.

The phrase, "Nah, nah, nah-nah, nahhh!" was invented precisely to deal with those who 'Just can't see...' how something will work.

Captain_Zap | 21 avril 2017

@dd

Your comment to Jay in Japan was totally inappropriate.

dsvick | 21 avril 2017

@dd - "Article today - or comment by Elon."

So, which is it? And do you have a link?

@dd - "I don't want it if our expectations are unrealistic.
I'll wait for version 4.2 (on version 2.1 right now)"

If your expectations are not realisitic then that is your problem not Tesla's since they explain exactly what AP is and does.

@dd - "Don't waste your money if you expect it to completely drive the car."
Like @KP said, I think you're confusing AP and FSD.

@dd - "If you activate it you have to agree to the disclaimer. You can't sue Tesla ever for anything while autopilot is enabled.
You agree to use it at your own risk."

A link here would be helpful as well. And, even id true, how is that different from many other products?

@dd - "I'm not bashing Tesla."

Sounds like it.

@dd - "In fact, I think they have made great strides and should continue, but don't put your life on the line using autopilot."

When used correctly it should be the opposite of putting your life on the line.

@dd - "You still need to pay attention."

With AP? Yep, you sure do. No one has ever said you didn't

dsvick: +42! Thanks for that. I really didn't want to bother writing pretty much the exact same thing in reply. Now, I don't have to!

For someone who purports to own several Tesla's and millions in stock you are woefully ignorant, DD. *eyeroll*

CraigW | 21 avril 2017

As and experienced Tesla driver before AP1 and and experienced Tesla driver with AP1, I think I can reasonably evaluate the situation.
- 1st: AP is not unattended driving in any way, shape, or manner. Tesla has even reduced the flexibility of AP - IMO, in response to those who choose to abuse it. The car will not let you leave your hands off the wheel for extended periods of time, even with it fully engaged. This can be somewhat frustrating on long, straight stretches of road, when doing long-distance driving, but I do understand why Tesla has implemented this.
- 2nd: AP is incredible in heavy highway/freeway traffic. It is not a question of paying no attention, but in being able to observe the big picture around you without the tension of any little glitch in traffic resulting in a crash.
- 3rd: Tesla sells these features in two levels, with the 1st being the activation of general AP1 features and the 2nd being full control once it is made legal. I would advise anyone to pay the price for the 1st, but most people will wait to pay for the 2nd because we lack knowledge of when and how this will be legalized.

Trolls do not care about the above information, but it is not there for them. There may be interested people who don't currently own a Tesla and they want some information about what they may be getting into. This is for those people.

CraigW: +42! Exactly. The Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything about "What is Autopilot, Really?" Thank you.

jefjes | 21 avril 2017

Really would like to have EAP but it will depend on the price at configuration time whether I order it then. I may choose to pay a higher price later if other options are within my budget that I won't be able to add over the air later. JayInJapan is a great contributor to the Tesla mission by providing helpful information that I really appreciate so he has my support going forward. Keep up the good work JayInJapan!

Coastal Cruiser. | 21 avril 2017

Non-Tesla owner and AP "skeptic" says this is a helpful thread in spite of the tone. CraigW, thanks for those details about the refinements to AP to make it safer. I love the part about frequently requiring hands on the wheel.

Whatever worries I may have about bad habits *I* might get into using AP, I'm actually concerned about what habits the average (in my case) California driver will slip into. It is heartening to hear the existing [responsible] owners speak of how the way they use AP works for them.

I would assume though that everyone understands that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and any chance to abuse AP by occupying oneself in other ways, will certainly be exploited by some drivers. So any safety features in place that assure the drivers attention is on the road is welcome news to this boy from Missouri. ;>

Haggy | 21 avril 2017

When autosteer first came out, it reminded me of a new teenage driver who just got his license. The driving wasn't as smooth as mine, and it wasn't able to predict what other drivers would do the way I could, but it had fast reflexes and never got me into an accident, but I did have to grab the wheel at times. Over the next year it became a pretty good driver and it never takes its eyes off the road. Neither do I, except for looking at maps or picking a song to play or some other activity I'd do anyway, and I'm glad it's on in cases where I might have been looking down for longer than would have been advisable.

Overall, it makes trips far more relaxing, both for ones that are hundreds of miles, as well as ones that are long because I'm in stop and go traffic.

I don't hold out hopes that FSD will reach 100%. There will be times I will need to pull up to a toll booth and stop to hand somebody money, and others where I won't have to stop because there's a transponder. The car won't know. There will be times when I'll need to get into a lane with a sign for visitors, and times I might need to get into a lane that's for cars with valid stickers. The car won't know. It also won't know when the security guard gives me a friendly wave and tells me to keep going, or when the guard motions me to come over to a different lane. The same would be true when parking at an event.

That doesn't mean I won't expect it to follow a route, know when to turn, stop when appropriate, start when appropriate, etc. But I think it will be a while before I'm told that I don't have to watch the road while that happens.

carlgo2 | 21 avril 2017

AP and other stuff integrated with this capability will just be too cool to pass up. Part of the deal for me.

Obi Wan | 22 avril 2017

$8 000 at time of purchase or $11 000 later. I've saved over $9 000 so far for this, and should have the rest at time of availability, so I'm good....but why? I'm a senior, retired, and this could be my last car. I want to experience this new technology while I'm here on earth. (an option would be for $5 000 now, and $4 500 later.)

Bighorn | 22 avril 2017

Hard to believe this guy has Elon on speed dial.

eandmjep | 23 avril 2017

Not interested in AP. If Tesla were to take CPO's and install/swap out for a 100kWh pack in a pre AP Model S I would be quite happy with that. Would take that over a M3. Safety features in the M3 will be great I'm sure but I don't see ever see upgrading to AP.