Forums

Tesla expanding supercharger network

Tesla expanding supercharger network

Tesla just posted a new blog about their plans to expand the supercharger network. I know this was needed to accommodate the upcoming Model 3 but wow, I'm very impressed. I love the picture of what a new supercharger area might look like with several dozen charging stalls, solar panels and what appears to be a resting area. Nice!

https://www.tesla.com/blog/charging-our-priority

KP in NPT | 24 avril 2017

I called it! I said about a year and a half ago (or so) that it would be awesome if tesla had their own "rest areas" with a lounge area, maybe a cafe. This is awesome!

Found old threads where this idea was discussed - chunky jr. had a thread
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/tesla-pit-stop-concept

In another thread, I talked about having an Apple Store type thing with different areas, shop, cafe.

Bighorn | 24 avril 2017

Thumbs up

stevenmaifert | 24 avril 2017

Believe it when you see it. If you go back far enough, you'll see Tesla expected to have the I-10 corridor between Los Angeles and Jacksonville completed by the end of 2015. We're still waiting. That's not to say they haven't made impressive progress in expanding the SC network, but their execution hasn't always kept pace with their announced "plans".

SamO | 24 avril 2017

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/ownership-density-vs-supercharger-...

1000 Superchargers coming to California alone this year.

rxlawdude | 24 avril 2017

Yeah, I'd be happy if they plug (pardon the pun) the gap on I-10 in Eastern Arizona heading to El Paso.

millerhelen | 24 avril 2017

I have concerns with the mach ups they are showing of these larger charging areas
I can't imagine that many vehicles all effectively trying to back in to charge as pictured at the angles and spacing shown. Will surely be chaotic unless you can drive straight in or out

AEdennis | 24 avril 2017

I picked up on this part of the new Tesla blogpost "convenient, abundant, and reliable for all owners, current and future" and had some thoughts in an article I wrote on my blog.

http://pascual.co/ActiveE/2017/04/a-few-thoughts-and-reactions-on-todays...

Basically, I prefer to supercharge when I'm taking a trip, but some Tesla brethren still prefer to travel with their Roadsters, and some have Model S 40s which don't have supercharging capability, but have at least the relatively speedy 10kWh single charger or the 20kWh double charger options enabled (to charge at a relatively quick 58 miles per hour.)...

So, why not have a couple of stalls of HPWCs available for these owners to use.

AND, they could monetize it further by offering non-Tesla EV charging in their own spots. Advancing sustainable transport, and all that. ;)

johndoeeyed | 24 avril 2017

To claim to having 'called it' requires stating that 'it will' happen and five some sort of timeframe, otherwise it is just a wish, and we all have lots of those.

Whatever you say, Johndoeeyed.

kp647 | 24 avril 2017

The charging center they show would be a huge plus for the brand. Coffee and Tesla merch could be vended or sold. Huge advertising fo both Tesla products and other high end brands on high tech displays.

finman100 | 24 avril 2017

As gas stations are shuttered, some will remain as museums and Tesla Superchargers. "See kids, this is what used to power our world, until Elon thought we could do better". It could happen. One has to dream of better to start on the path of doing better.

"Ew, and grandpa-pa, you had to actually burn that crap in a car? Didn't people hate the smell and smoke and general nastiness?"

Soon.

hoffmannjames | 24 avril 2017

@finman100 +1 I really believe one day, we will all look back and wonder how we ever put up with ICE cars.

Al1 | 24 avril 2017

Actually some gas stations make perfect locations for superchargers. I bet Tesla will buy some as gas stations start going out of business.

hoffmannjames | 24 avril 2017

I actually wonder if some gas stations won't start voluntarily adding charging stations when EV numbers grow even more. It would make sense from a business perspective to cater to EVs when their numbers become more significant.

AEdennis | 24 avril 2017

Unfortunately plenty of retail locations have announced the closure of its locations... JC Penney and Payless Shoes for one. Good thing about EV Charging is it doesn't need to be at a gas station. (Though some are, Effingham Supercharger for one)

SamO | 24 avril 2017

Gas stations (by themselves) are dead. There have to be other reasons to go to make the money. The gas just makes the person stop.

There will be much less need for the stops but there will be longer stops, so there has to be something to do.

Tesla should capture their customers and sell them solar panels and batteries or at least other vehicles.

Al1 | 24 avril 2017

There will be service centres too it looks like.

The big news Tesla is also moving to superchargers in Urban areas. Makes perfect sense as majority of world population lives in cities. And those places are exposed the most to harmful ICE emissions.

JayInJapan | 24 avril 2017

Japan still has lots of holes in the network. Ho hum...

Bighorn | 24 avril 2017

@Jay
They're not really dealing with the thought of an onslaught of Model 3s there, are they? Seems that Europe and Asia haven't really been primed for the Model 3 yet.

JayInJapan | 24 avril 2017

It's just me grumbling. It's getting better: when I got my car, the closest SC was Tokyo. I was still working and didn't have time for long road trips. I retired and Osaka, then Kobe were installed. I needed 2 ½ hours of CHAdeMO to get to Kobe. Kurashiki came in--one hour of CHAdeMO to get there. Hamamatsu filled the Kanto-Tokyo gap. Fukuoka in February--tomorrow is my first run with that one. Hoping for 30 min of CHAdeMO, but as has my luck, it's going to rain, sometimes hard, all day tomorrow.

Anyway, Japan's habitable area is 11% of the country. Land is at a premium, so I understand how hard it is to get space and permits here. I'm a pretty patient person, but you should check out some of the owners' meetings here (no longer held, I've noticed). So no, @bh, they're not ready for M3, but I'm guessing we won't see those here till 2018 sometime. From time to time, I'll still continue to ask for those gaps to be filled.

Ross1 | 24 avril 2017

As I understand it there is no money in fuel sales.
The profit is in your purchasing added value items like chocolate, milk, cigs.
When you go into a gas station you put down $50 or so, more or less, and it may be you are not so inclined to buy more (from the rotters).
But in Tesla's case, you go in, you breathe a sigh of relief that the 'fuel' was free, so you are more inclined to support the cause and spend say 20 or 30 buckeroos on junk or groceries.
So I am saying, good idea to sell stuff at the SCs.

SamO | 25 avril 2017

Japan is projected to get another 10 Superchargers this year @JayInJapan.

Fingers crossed you are first to charge at each of them.

reed_lewis | 25 avril 2017

They are planning on adding 10 Super Chargers here in Massachusetts. The question I have though (which does not have an answer right now) is where the heck will they put a SuperCharger in Boston? There is simply no place where they can install one without it being in a pay parking garage which costs at least $5 for 30 minutes of parking (yes parking in Boston is very much overpriced).

Perhaps they will put it in a suburb of Boston and that might work.

So where do they put SuperChargers in cities?

JayInJapan | 25 avril 2017

I see six now, SamO. There were five when I posted the above. I don't watch the numbers as much the holes in route through the country.

JayInJapan | 25 avril 2017

Reed, I see them here in hotels, shopping mall parking lots, golf course parking lots, and office building parked lots.

KP in NPT | 25 avril 2017

@reed good question but surely something they have considered - I'd think they already have sites chosen. maybe they intend on buying or leasing land/building with parking? Or if in a garage - perhaps it will allow for validation up to a certain time limit?

In downtown Boston there is no land which could be leased since everything has a building on it already. You are correct though that they surely have thought through where they will situate the SuperCharger, but I wonder where it will be. They do have a sales center in Boston, but it is in the middle of a very busy shopping mall with no free parking. Time will tell.

jordanrichard | 25 avril 2017

When they cite a city, like Boston, they may not mean literally in downtown Boston. It could be on the outskirts of the city on RT 93.

As for other locations in MA. Well the MA pike is pretty much covered. Perhaps they will put some on the 495 loop or the 290 loop going through Worcester. Then there is the only other road running East to West besides the MA pike and that is RT 2.

According to this website:

https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bounds/49.38,-66.94,25.82,-124.39,d?search...

The following locations are planned:
Leominster, Lynnfield, Beverly, Natick, Boston, Mansfield, Seekonk, Braintree, Wareham, Orleans

They should add one in Greenfield, or Williamstown to get the Rt2 corridor completely covered.

So they are going to 'blanket' the eastern half of Massachusetts, but nothing additional is planned for the western half.

SamO | 25 avril 2017

Sorry @jordanrichard but Tesla does mean city centers. Including Boston.

If they wanted it to be one of the "Charging centers," (perhaps smaller than those in the renderings) they could maybe do something where it gets a little less dense - like off Comm Ave or Beacon more towards Brookline. Or over in Cambridge. Though the map did say "Boston." In that case, maybe a site with parking around South End? (If there is such a thing.)

Tarla's Driver | 25 avril 2017

Considering that they're now saying that Superchargers are also for people who can't charge at home, they need to have plenty of options for the greater Boston area. I think they should consider adding one in Waltham, near the junction of 2 and 128. Or they could put one in at the Fresh Pond Mall in Cambridge (across the street from the Alewife station).

SamO, no I get that, but Tesla also doesn't mean the geographic "center" of a city. When I suggested the outskirts of Boston, I didn't mean in a town on the outskirts of Boston. I meant out away from the skyscrapers and brownstones.

KP, I agree, they could put something out towards the Boston Convention Center in Southy.

SamO | 25 avril 2017

Thanks for clarifying @jr.

They might be in the parking for the Prudential Center since they have a showroom there. They could always work out a deal for validating parking, though that can be a pain, especially at night.

I am still thinking it will be on/near RT 93 before you actually get into literal downtown Boston, but where there are places to eat/ use the bathroom, shop, etc..

ulrichard | 25 avril 2017

Oh yes!
I just saw that they plan to open a supercharger in my home town this year.
Great !!!

carlgo2 | 25 avril 2017

JayInJapan | April 25, 2017
Reed, I see them here in hotels, shopping mall parking lots, golf course parking lots, and office building parked lots.

Aaack! No! Real stations, as illustrated by Tesla itself, not random trickle chargers that scare more people than they help in promoting EV use. Tesla should buy them all up and turn them into useful reefs and never speak of them again.

The issue is that I have not seen a SuperCharger in a lot that has pay parking. Has anyone seen one that is like that yet? How would validation work in the case of an automated payment system? Who would validate the ticket?

ulrichard | 25 avril 2017

The SC in Egerkingen is in a location with paid parking. Parking is free for the first two hours. It is a regular ticket system.

Savannah, GA is in the airport parking, but you can get the ticket validated inside the airport.

Bighorn | 25 avril 2017

Colorado Springs is in a parking lot. You can get the first hour charge waived, but if it is after hours, you pay $1 to get in. Normal, IL and Chattanooga are other examples.

The issue in Boston is that in Downtown, parking is very expensive. The average half hour price is $8 or more.

It is very expensive to park here. Luckily my garage has a regular J-1772 charger and I have a monthly pass (which I pay $320 a month for)

I'll be curious what the solution is. But I expect they have one. Does anyone know the easiest way to stalk the permit?

Red Sage ca us | 25 avril 2017

stevenmaifert: Tesla originally proposed covering something over 90% of the U.S. with only 200 Supercharger locations. There are currently 354 in place, 12 under construction, and 11 under permit, with dozens and scores more on the way. By the current 'Coming Soon' map, they only need to install two more Superchargers needed to complete the I-10: Willcox AZ and Deming NM. They already have a permit in Stockton TX. You won't need a Supercharger in Jacksonville FL to get there, as it is surrounded by locations in Lake City FL, St. Augustine FL, and Kingsland GA. Chill.

Al1 | 26 avril 2017

Good question about lack of land in urban areas.

Yet there are still parkings. There are also tourist attractions, universities, museums, hospitals etc. Something can be worked out.

Earl and Nagin ... | 26 avril 2017

I'm guessing that the seeding of the market with Superchargers has probably led to numerous serious inquiries to Tesla by cities and businesses that didn't get them about how to get them. I suspect that Supercharger rollout 2 will be a lot easier than the initial rollout.
Go Tesla!