Forums

How much heat does the pack radiate?

How much heat does the pack radiate?

With my current ICE vehicle there is a good amount of heat radiated from the hood due to combustion, that persists a while after the engine is switched off.

In confined spaces like a garage that can be a pain, especially during summer when I want to clean/vacuum the car.

How warm do battery packs get (I know they have cooling to protect the cells) compared to ICE and does it radiate noticeably like ICE? Is there a lot of temperature variation based on e.g distance covered?

ir | 14 juin 2017

Not much heat retained from driving. Maybe a bit from all the metal in the car. Not much problem cleaning the car in your garage. Except...

Don't run the AC with the doors / windows open (they turn on automatically when you open the doors if they were on when you left). You'll be pumping hot AC heat back in the car. No ICE, no toxic exhaust! Don't try that with an ICE!

Charging the car generates quite a bit of heat. Garage is pretty toasty in the morning after a long overnight charging session.

DTsea | 14 juin 2017

Pack doesnt go much over 90 F.

bj | 14 juin 2017

The hood on my Leaf gets pretty hot... if it's been parked in the sun all day!

Otherwise nothing.

Frank99 | 15 juin 2017

90% charging efficiency, say 60kwh charge = 6.7 kwh of heat generated overnight. Say you charge for 6 hours - that's about 1 kw of heat. Think of 10 100W incandescent bulbs, or a toaster, running continuously in your garage. That's a significant, but not overwhelming, amount of heat.

msmith55 | 15 juin 2017

The Battery Management system controls battery temperature. When charging, the lowest temperature permitted is +10 C, and battery heater, rated 6 kw, will come on and heat battery up to temperature before charging starts. If you have just been driving, the bat temp will be between 10 C and 30 C, unless range mode was on, in which case battery temperature will be 40 C to provide optimum charge/discharge temp. It will also be about 40 C if you just finished supercharging. But keep in mind that the battery package is insulated, and heat will probably transferred to garage slowly over a 4 to 8 hr period. A normal ICE car runs at over 100 C for comparison, so the heat from the battery pack is usually noticeable only in winter. Insulate garage to reduce parasitic battery energy loss in winter. If it gets below -20 C, consider using electric floor heating to keep garage above 10 C.

Frank99 | 15 juin 2017

>>> If it gets below -20 C,
Then I've got bigger problems than charging, because I live in Phoenix....

Actually, that's great information above; now I just need the same thing from the opposite end of the thermometer. When my garage is 40C at 4 AM (pretty much all of July), how much more will it heat up due to battery charging? Yes, I know - imagine a toaster running all night....

noleaf4me | 15 juin 2017

If a bear farts in the woods....

AJPHL | 15 juin 2017

Thanks for the input, some good points. Didn't think of the heat generated by charging but makes sense.

topher | 16 juin 2017

"That's a significant, but not overwhelming, amount of heat."

Right, enough to keep a small, well insulated house, warm. Not enough to broil the occupants.

Thank you kindly.