Forums

Supercharger Version 3?

Supercharger Version 3?

Does anyone know if the Supercharger V3 (higher volts/amps) can be realized by the Model 3? Are Model 3's limited in how fast they can charge to a permanent 130/170 miles in 30 min? Is it a function of the vehicle hardware? If so can we upgrade the hardware in the future?

Here is an article discussing Supercharger V3: https://electrek.co/2016/12/24/tesla-supercharger-v3-over-350-off-grid-s...

msmith55 | 30 juillet 2017

If you look at the charge rate curves for the existing SC they are all initially limited to a straight line depending on battery size to prevent damage, non of the existing battery can use a higher charge rate! The only advantage is that if your the B charger, you may get the fastest charge possible. Higher charge rates may be used by new batteries perhaps over 100 kWh, say for Semi tractors etc.

CraigW | 30 juillet 2017

Interesting point msmith55.

Once the Model 3 is embedded in the car culture - should take 12-18 months - people will not object so much to the 30 min wait to charge enough to get the next supercharger. Bathroom and coffee breaks will become a more regular part of taking long trips - that is what has happened to my wife and I over the last 5+ years of driving the Tesla pretty much everywhere.

That is when the 2nd car in the pair getting equal power is going to be assumed and people will not understand - or tolerate - a slow rate of charge when the supercharger location is almost full.

mfstorino | 31 juillet 2017

I don't understand the comment about being a B charger? Is it if you have 2 cars on one charger station the sexond charges faster?

Bighorn | 31 juillet 2017

@mfstorino
It's a 75/25 split with the first car getting priority. That changes as the first car tapers and requires less juice.

CraigW | 31 juillet 2017

Transformers at every supercharger stop are driving two superchargers - generally the A & B charger, but some are 1 & 2. Use http://www.volkerize.com to search these blogs for a table that was put out sometime in 2014.

What this means is that if you pull into a supercharger and park directly next to another Tesla you may be the second person using that paired transformer - this is why you usually see people charging one slot away from another Tesla when there are multiple cars at a stop. The second person on a transformer pair will get a reduced amount of power and thus be charging at a noticeably lower rate until the other car leaves.

With increasing power the initial person's car may not be able to use all the added power - the cars are only designed to accept so many kWh/minute - but the 2nd person in has more power to increase their kWh/min and thus gets closer to full charge in the time they are there.

If you have done much long-distance driving in a Tesla you know this, but many new drivers have to learn the hard way. That's why I am being so detailed.

NKYTA | 31 juillet 2017

@CraigW, "not every". Madison WI East Towne Mall SC was three dedicated last time I went through.

But that is just picking nits. ;-)

MarylandS85 | 31 juillet 2017

Also, not every stall is organized such that the A and B are adjacent. Read the signs carefully and avoid using the B if the A is occupied for the number you’re looking at. In other words, when you pull up to a Supercharger, if there are any other cars already charging, check the number on the stall you’re considering against all the other parked Teslas.

Unless you’re gonna eat at a sit down restaurant and WANT to charge more slowly. ;^)

CraigW | 31 juillet 2017

Ok, however, I did use that supercharger in the summer of 2014 and had no problems. Of course, since I was the only one there, I didn't bother to check anything.

mfstorino | 31 juillet 2017

Thanks for the detailed information. Is this something Tesla is working to imprive so their is consistent charge rates when supercharging?

carlgo2 | 31 juillet 2017

The consistent charge rates will be welcomed, but what will it take to get 350+ kw charging? Upcoming battery tech, some kind of electronic sorcery or what?