Forums

What is in the New Roadster

What is in the New Roadster

After seeing the video and seeing the prototype move and the figures given for it. I don't understand how this car is capable of the speeds and range that it is said to have. 200KWH & a top speed of at least 400km/h potentially indicating over 800 to 1000 horsepower. From what I know for the P100D 568KW is pushing the limits of the battery pack to point of potentially damaging it.
From what I understand the battery packs are also rather large and very heavy, rough numbers below.
265 wh per Kg Li-ion
200000 / 265 = 755kg lowest according to wiki
100000 / 265 = 377kg is actually 500kg according to the forum
So my question is how does the Roadster move as fast as it is said to move. While not being over burdened by a huge and heavy lithium ion battery weighting as much as a car itself?
Does that car have some special battery in it?

TeslaTap.com | 17 novembre 2017

@x "Does that car have some special battery in it? " Likely - and when cost is not a factor, they may be able to use exoditc compounds that greatly increase the power density.

By having a 200 kWh battery, they can draw twice the power as the P100D today, and not impact battery life at all. Makes sense.

slasher0016 | 17 novembre 2017

It's not been said by Tesla but almost assuredly this Roadster is using the new 2170 cells which have density. I'm sure that's a very big factor here.

Tropopause | 17 novembre 2017

2020 model. Three years away. In Tesla time, that's a lot of innovation.

laphelps48 | 19 novembre 2017

Will the new roadster prototype be featured at any upcoming auto shows? What's the best source for this info?

carlk | 19 novembre 2017

Tesla almost never goes to an auto show.

Babaron | 20 novembre 2017

All of the above are made possible by the use of three electric motors driving the car, all with different drives ratios. It allows for the increased acceleration, the increased TopSpeed, and the increased range. It's like having a transmission without having a transmission.

vp09 | 23 novembre 2017

I'm hoping we can buy a Roadster 2 that costs less than a quarter of a million dollars.

We don't need 250 mph or 620 HP.

I only live 3 miles from work, and I really should retire.

Tropopause | 24 novembre 2017

You can! Base model starts at $200k.

flight505 | 24 novembre 2017

vp09 -
Roadster II?
If Tesla announces a low performance, cheaper version of the Roadster, then I will immediately cancel my order that I placed at $200,000 with $50,000 down three years in advance. Wouldn't you? A cheaper, lower performance version would devalue my investment right away. You don't see Porsche building a low performance, cheaper version of their 911. Same with McLaren and Lamborghini and Ferrari sports cars. Yeah - I love the look of that million dollar LaFerrari, but I don't need 950 horsepower so why can't they make one just like it with less performance for me for - oh 50 grand?

carlk | 24 novembre 2017

Maket placement is important. Tesla did a good job placing Roadster at the $200K market level. With a car like that it could even place it at a somewhat higher level but I have no complain of that.

eric.zucker | 25 novembre 2017

It’s good that Tesla now has a new high end beacon at the top of the range. It’s inspirational.

I wonder what other manufacturers will come up with now that Tesla has pushed the performance limits so far.

Tropopause | 25 novembre 2017

The competition is still waiting for year 2020 to release their answer to Tesla's 2012 Model S. Looks like it's back to the drawing board for better vapor ware for the competition.

Going back to the original question.

60 mph is 96.54 km/h or 26.82 m/s.
Kinetic energy of a say 1800 kg object at 60mph is 1/2 mv2 or 719 kJ. It took 1.9s to build up that speed, so a theoretical constant acceleration of 378.5 kW needs to be applied. That’s 508 HP.

Now for the top speed, we could estimate the power needed to overcome air resistance at those speeds, it’s going to be a lot more.

Of course that’s effective power at the wheel, after deducting tire and air resistance.

WattsThatGrin | 26 novembre 2017

@eric.zucker
Bisch am vorletschte dunschtig au in Hawthorne gsii?

eric.zucker | 26 novembre 2017

@WattsThatGrin: Not fluent in Swiss German, I assume you ask if I was at the Hawthorne reveal even. No, I wasn’t.

I did visit the Fremont factory last summer.

Tiebreaker | 26 novembre 2017

@flight505

Porche made the Boxter / Cayman, cheaper, lower performance vesions of 911 (purposfully crippled?). Just they are not named 911. They do cover an important market segment. So it would not be surprising if Tesla makes a down-market, cheaper, lower performance variant, not named Roadster 2...

AlMc | 26 novembre 2017

Three years from now I suspect that the Roadster and Semi battery packs will have Solid State Batteries. No inside info. just my speculation. It is one of many reasons that OEMs have been waiting to 'go EV': They believe that SSBs are the way to go. Problem for them: Tesla will already have several years of head start and have 'the brand' that everyone wants.

carlk | 26 novembre 2017

AlMc That's an interesting speculation. Where else other than the low volume high performance car could be a better place to intruduce the new technology? I guess we'll see.

Earl and Nagin ... | 28 novembre 2017

@AIMc,
The reason OEMs have been waiting to 'go EV' is because they believe that ICE is the way to go. They don't want to obsolete their ICE so they're looking for any excuse. Blaming SSBs is just another lame delaying excuse (along with large format Li-ion batteries, Hydrogen, hybrids, CNG, ethanol, etc) since Tesla has proven that mundane Li-ion 18650 cells are more than adequate for meeting the need.
Sure, SSBs may be good. There's no sense in waiting and, as @carlk points out, if they are good but expensive, the new Roadster (just like the original) is a great place to try things out.

steven | 26 Janvier 2018

About the battery composition. I asked the driver at the event about the battery. And even though they clearly stated that the semi is using the Model 3 platform (as in motors and battery), he didn't want to comment about the Roadster's battery, making me think that Tesla already has found a new and improved chemistry.