Forums

Were you surprised by Tesla's Semi Truck announcement?

Were you surprised by Tesla's Semi Truck announcement?

From when it was initially mentioned some time ago, I kinda found myself a bit surprised that Tesla was going after that Semi Truck segment. I would've thought they would be concentrating on the Pick Up truck, or the Model Y SUV.
To not only announce it but actually have one built caught me by surprise. I'm sure Elon has that long term forward looking way on things, but it certainly surprised me.
Anyone else a bit surprised by the Semi?

Rocky_H | 30 novembre 2017

No, they had announced this long in advance, that they were doing the semi truck first, and then the pickup truck later. This was their post about it in July 2016:

https://www.tesla.com/blog/master-plan-part-deux

Quote: "In addition to consumer vehicles, there are two other types of electric vehicle needed: heavy-duty trucks and high passenger-density urban transport. Both are in the early stages of development at Tesla and should be ready for unveiling next year. We believe the Tesla Semi will deliver a substantial reduction in the cost of cargo transport, while increasing safety and making it really fun to operate."

The new Roadster reveal was something I think people did not expect to see yet, though.

richard808 | 2 décembre 2017

Is there anybody on board at Tesla who ever actually drove a truck?