Forums

Updated: Regarding SUPERCHARGER IN IRVINE, official says would coming at end of 2017, still no any updates.

Updated: Regarding SUPERCHARGER IN IRVINE, official says would coming at end of 2017, still no any updates.

Regarding SUPERCHARGER IN IRVINE, official says would coming at end of 2017, only 12 days left, but still no any updates.

I have been checked that supercharger location, very very wired area, not even similar as other supercharger location. very far-off the way.

1. You actually paid for the supercharger service in advance when you purchased car.

2. If the superchargers has many people wait for charge like BAY AREA, no one would like waste time to wait there for charging if they have home charger.

3. The fact is the supercharger still very convenient, a lot spots are available, because of not many people use it, no waiting line at all, doesn't bother any travelers.

4. Even though, we shouldn't censure TESLA owners use the supercharger because of they paid for charging already, they have rights to use the charger at anywhere, any time.

5. If that become to a problem, means TESLA sold many cars, but don't have enough chargers, company needs to build more at different locations for its customers.

Only three states and 15 nations have larger GDPs than Orange county. Irvine has so many young professionals, and some schools, they can afford to buy Model 3 or model S\X, I have no doubt those people are not able to charge at home. Irvine has parks for many cities too.

TESLA should build superchargers at IRVINE if the company wants people buy tesla, as I said, people can pay for the charge.

TESLA would never build supercharger in a city they never purchase TESLA, it's business, you want to close to your customers and make them happy, they make it as promotion as well, how convenient and TESLA changes a city style, promote to be a TESLA owner.

b.tesla | 16 décembre 2017

Tesla over-promises and under-delivers in this area. Before Tesla redesigned their supercharger map web page, they had 2 images you could toggle between: projected Supercharger stations for the current calendar year, and actual Supercharger stations currently available. I took a couple of screen captures about a year ago, and I notice a couple of locations projected for 2016 that still aren't there at the end of 2017. And there are plenty of other stories of late / delayed / still-not-available Supercharger locations.

The redesigned webpage makes it a little more difficult to see only completed Superchargers, and/or only ones projected by . Currently available superchargers can be seen more clearly on supercharge.info website.

Things are improving, but more slowly than we'd like. It takes a lot of time and money to roll out additional supercharging infrastructure. Tesla is the only one who is taking charging infrastructure seriously to enable road trips.

SamO | 16 décembre 2017

The Supercharger in Fountain Valley 3 miles away too far?

SCCRENDO | 16 décembre 2017

@Sam0. And his home charger is even closer. Fountain Valley is infested with local cheapskates. LOL

Sam I am only kidding you here. I am not about to start a war with you.

SamO | 16 décembre 2017

ha ha ha I actually laughed out loud @SCCRENDO . . . Tesla has modified their plans for the Supercharging Network including making Supercharging pay-per-use and is kicking off Uber/Lyft/Taxi/Black Cars . . . they can do anything they want, but the new City Chargers are clearly for locals.

Good for Tesla. Communicate intentions clearly. Soften the ground for Tesla Network.

stevenmaifert | 16 décembre 2017

Tesla uses words like "coming soon" and "target date", but I've never seen them say "promise" when it comes to future Supercharger locations and construction time lines.

TeslaTap.com | 16 décembre 2017

A huge factor is usage. Tesla knows where they sell cars, and where cars use Superchargers. I'm sure they change plans based on this usage data and the data may change over time.

Keep in mind that securing a location is often far harder than actually building the Supercharger out. Generally Tesla does not own the land where the Supercharger is built. They must get permission, deal with local zoning (which may prohibit Supercharger stalls), and have access to very high power levels. Next you prefer the Supercharger is near facilities like food and has easy access to freeways.

It's easy to drop dots on a map and say some general area is ideal for a Supercharger. There can be a lot of issues outside of Tesla's control that can slow or stop a specific Supercharger location from proceeding.

So it's possible there will never be a Supercharger in Irvine, even though Tesla had some early ideas about doing so.

eddyline | 16 décembre 2017

The Irvine Company still owns much(if not all?) of the commercial land in Irvine; they won’t sell cheaply, if at all, and they’ll rent/lease for a pretty penny as well, certainly. In fact, The Irvine Company might own most of the undeveloped land that isn’t state park from LA to San Diego, IIRC. Anyone know for sure?

SamO | 17 décembre 2017

Um NO.

NoMoPetrol | 17 décembre 2017

At least they've completed the I-10 corridor between Tucson and El Paso. Wilcox AZ and Deming NM are now listed as open.

SamO | 17 décembre 2017

Great news for @TaoJones (and others) @NoMoPetrol

Tesla2018 | 17 décembre 2017

Tesla should make a deal to give Walmart a break on the new Semis if they allow them to have free rent on their lots to install superchargers. If Walmart used Solar City panels on the roof and got a cut of supercharging fees as an offset to pay for the cost it would work out for both parties.

Maybe they could do something at the gigantic Walmart Distribution warehouses. Those buildings must have several acres of rooftop.

veryuse4 | 18 décembre 2017

LOL, I am wondering, if IRVINE is one of highest density TESLA owner area.

I know I can charge at home, but I prefer to charge for free and fast. would open another topic about out of battery on the high way at mid night.

SCCRENDO | 18 décembre 2017

@veruse4. Some would suggest that if everyone chose to charge at superchargers instead of at home there would be less convenient supercharging for long distance travelers and it remains possible that someone traveling from San Francisco to Socal who didn't know how to calculate the amount of charge necessary to reach their destination could run out of juice at the Irvine supercharger and have to wait 4 hours to charge because all the locals with home chargers were hogging the Irvine supercharger.

Earl and Nagin ... | 18 décembre 2017

@veryuse4,
you can strike 'fast' from your preference since charging at home only takes a few seconds per day.
Charging for free seems to be the crux of your desire and some of us (probably including Tesla) don't really care about that 'problem' of yours.

@Earl and Nagin ... fast is the key point, charged at home is so slow, it took almost whole night but just got a little juice. I saw Bay area, people buying tesla, they dont even have a house, TESLA even hires people to keep the waiting line under control(they have 30 cars wait for supercharger.). A lot young professional they cannot afford a house.

Especially when model3 release to mass market users, you will see those people desire more superchargers. TESLA cares about those owner who cannot charge at home for sure.

Earl and Nagin ... | 18 décembre 2017

@veryuse4,
You need to understand that I would NEED it for trips to San Diego when I NEED to charge. In fact, I would prefer that Tesla charge for Supercharging so that there is more of a chance they will not be filled with cheap locals when I actually NEED them.
It sounds like you should invest in a real home charger as well so you can be fully charged overnight.
Or, I guess I could complain that there isn't a free Supercharger right near my house so I could block you from charging when you are driving out my way.

@Earl and Nagin ... Supercharger never build in town, only build next to highway locations. easier for other owners passing by the city to recharge the tesla. For now, superchager using turn over ratio still very low, that's not a problem for owner charging their tesla while shopping, every owner paid for the charging station and can use it.

I bought a brand new house and fully upgraded to solar system and power wall as well, should be ok when I move to the new house.

TESLA announced would build supercharger station in Irvine city before end of 2017, owners are expecting TESLA deliver it. The one of first TESLA showrooms in the world is Irvine Fashion island, here has so many owners, my friend got a TESLA ROADSTER. we support it a lot!

Earl and Nagin ... | 19 décembre 2017

@veryuse4,
Clearly, you're new to this community so you're probably a bit surprised at the hostility you're meeting from old veterans. Recall that we old timers have been through a lot more challenges than your insignificant complaints about having to stop to charge and pay for your electricity.
Most here are more than willing to try to advise you on how to transition to the wonderful and exciting world of electric vehicles. However, when you come across, as you do, as a self-entitled complainer who thinks your convenience and thrift should come at the expense of others, through abuse of shared infrastructure (i.e. Superchargers), the good will tends to run out.
I wish you luck in your new well-equipped house. I'm sure you'll find that the time you save by just plugging in at home each night so you'll awake to a fully charged car, very much outweighs the extra 15 minutes of an extra stop on your occasional trip to the Bay Area on cold or windy days. Likewise, the relatively low cost of your solar electricity at home will probably be far more valuable than your time wasted regularly going to a public Supercharger to get the free electricity.
Where do you think Tesla should spend their hard earned capital? Putting in a few more Superchargers along I-5 so they are available to travelers when conditions are less than ideal? Or installing them in a town where most people own their own houses.

veryuse4 | 19 décembre 2017

@Earl and Nagin ... Thanks for the last comment. I agree.
but it's designed for tesla, and welcome tesla owner to use the supercharger. Honestly, even it's not free, I still prefer to charge at supercharger, it's not related to abuse of shared infrastructure.

If Tesla announce the supercharger only for special needs owners, then I guess it might not that many owners would use the charger, such as disable parking space.

The usage of the chargers, still not that many, local owners wont impact road trip owner at all.

TeslaTap.com | 19 décembre 2017

@veryuse4 - Are you using a 120 VAC connection for charging at home? That's the only situation I can think of when you say it charges very slowly (which is true). As you already are planning, a real EV charge point, such as 240VAC at 30 amps or more, really makes more sense for home charging.

While there is quite a bit of expense of installing the Supercharger and then maintaining it, Tesla also must pay for the electricity for those that use it. It is not free to Tesla, and the more expense Tesla incurs, means fewer new Supercharger locations. Perhaps due to people that charge locally, Tesla must reduce the number of Supercharger locations. Perhaps Irvine was dropped from the list due to all those unexpected expenses from locals, when the network was intended for long distance travel only. We'll likely never know - but your actions may have contributed to dropping a possible Irvine Supercharger as being uneconomical for Tesla.

@TeslaTap.com Only three states and 15 nations have larger GDPs than Orange county. Irvine has so many young professionals, and some schools, they can afford to buy Model 3 or model S, I have no doubt those people are not able to charge at home. Irvine has parks for many cities too.

TESLA should build superchargers at IRVINE if the company wants people buy tesla, as I said, people can pay for the charge.

TESLA would never build supercharger in a city they never purchase TESLA, it's business, you want to close to your customers and make them happy, they make it as promotion as well, how convenient and TESLA changes a city style, promote to be a TESLA owner.

KP in NPT | 19 décembre 2017

Is there something wrong with your home charging, veryuse4? Do you not have a NEMA 14-50 or Tesla HPWC?

Where is JT?

lilbean | 19 décembre 2017

He want for free, no pay.

@ lilbean why do you think charge your TESLA by using supercharge is no pay??

You actually paid in advance when you purchased car.

You dont like or cannot to use the supercharger doesnt mean other people shouldn't use it, no matter pay for charge or free.

Yes but does not mean you no need charge in home. You save that for the traveling people to be a courtesy, you know? So they no have wait and be inconcvenience to continue the journey and no have to wait for people who can chargy at home. Like you be annoy when you travel with kids who want go but you instead wait for people who just want save money like chargy for free.

@lilbean if the superchargers has many people wait for charge like BAY AREA, no one would like waste time to wait there for charging if they have home charger.

The fact is the supercharger still very convenient, a lot spots are available, because of not many people use it, no waiting line at all, doesn't bother any travelers.

Even though, we shouldn't censure TESLA owners use the supercharger because of they paid for charging already, they have rights to use the charger at anywhere.

If that become to a problem, means TESLA sold so many cars, but dont have enough chargers, company needs to build more at different locations for its customers.

I dont know your example's meaning.

They no charge fo grin so no mind for charge fo chargy even tho I no chargy.

rxlawdude | 20 décembre 2017

Where da pigeons? Dey all speaky like dis.

lilbean | 20 décembre 2017

Howzit braddah lawdude!

johnnykadi | 24 Janvier 2018

Irvine has tesla's all over the place. Surprised there aren't charging stations all over town.

SCCRENDO | 24 Janvier 2018

@johnnykadi. That is the point. They are trying not to encourage local supercharging. Most people in Irvine have a garage and the ability to charge at home