Forums

Anyone has issues with FONT size on the screen?

Anyone has issues with FONT size on the screen?

I just received my car today and I love driving it. However, since everything is done on the screen, I find myself looking at some relatively small fonts and they are hard to read at night. Normally, on a phone, I just make the fonts bigger, but this does not seem to be an option on the Model 3. Does anyone else have a problem with the font size?

EFS

sack_stanford.edu | 1 avril 2018

I don't, but my spouse does in certain particular cases. E.g., the turn by turn directions are on the far side of the screen, so not only do you have to look farther away, they are visually smaller than they would be on the left side of the nav screen. (The same could be said for blind spot monitoring: the indications that there is a car in your blind spot are totally misplaced and way too subtle if you are not in Autosteer.)

My recollection is that early iPhone models seemed designed for 20-somethings, most of whom had never (yet) worn glasses. Then Apple realized there was an "accessibility" market, and they created some accessibility modes. Probably some of the same techniques could be applied for Tesla's UI.

Obviously, just making everything bigger would create clutter.

leezee121 | 6 juillet 2018

I totally agree that the ability to increase the font size on the display is needed. I totally love the car but have a hard time seeing the writing on display while driving, most noticeably the time, temperature, what's playing on the radio, and navigation instruction.

johnmann | 6 juillet 2018

For me the issue isn't the size, I can see the clock and other dark text just fine, but the navigation instructions are done in a light gray color that I find difficult to read against the white background in some lighting conditions. I'd sure like to see those done in a darker text so that they stand out more.

Lla4u2 | 6 juillet 2018

@johnmann Curious, are you able to switch to night mode manually? Would that help the white background issue? I'd check for myself, but I don't have the car yet :)

johnmann | 6 juillet 2018

Yes, you can switch to night mode manually and I did try that previously, but for a different reason. I really like the minimalist dash and was thinking it would be nice if the touch screen could retract into the dash and leave me with pure “seat of the pants” driving. I switched into night mode to see if that would get me part way there. It didn’t, but wasn’t bad. The screen was still readable, but I didn’t use the nav so don’t know how readable the instructions are. I’ll do another experiment.

Atoms | 6 juillet 2018

The young programmers with eagle eye vision think the font and icons are just fine. At this time this is my top concern about the GUI. It would be greatly appreciated to increase sizes or add Old Driver mode.

czamara | 7 juillet 2018

It's also hard to read the items along the top row because they are drawn directly over the map graphics without a background. Terrible visual design, I have no idea why they did that. The screen is large, there would be plenty of room for readable icons and readouts on the top row. And buttons large enough to easily hit in a moving car. Please Tesla, make this fix in an update soon!

bbrogers21 | 7 juillet 2018

@johnmann

I also like the minimalist screen. I wish there were a button to just blank the nav section of the screen, but I get pretty close by selecting the drawing tablet, selecting black, and selecting “fill”. Almost all of the right side of the screen is then black.

stevechase3344 | 8 août 2018

I love my Model 3. I agree that the font for the time and temperature should be larger.

gregreiswig | 29 octobre 2018

Can we PLEASE get an option for larger font for the Model 3 screen?! We have Track Mode, why not Senior Mode? Better yet, enable voice activated controls!
I love my T3 also but my wife has poor vision and she gets hoppin' mad because she can't operate any of the touchscreen controls because the font is too small.

lbowroom | 29 octobre 2018

Yet she passed the visual acuity test at the DMV?

Mtangri | 29 octobre 2018

Come on folks some T3 owners (like yours truly) are well into their 70's. With successful cataract surgery. 20/20 eyesight is not a problem but reading distances are questionable. Our screens are just at the very edge, forcing us to peer at our screens while driving. A larger font would be most welcome. How does one get this info to Tesla or Elon directly. Do not have a Twitter or Facebook account and do not want either

SHBrown | 29 octobre 2018

I just got the version 9 update on my Model 3 a couple of days ago, and it at least helps with this issue. It moves the time and temperature from the right top of the screen to the left top of the screen, which makes it much easier to see with a glance. The garage door opener is moved from the top left to the top right.

Also navigation print directions are moved from the right side of the screen to the left side of the screen, where they are easier to see as well.

And the blind spot monitoring is vastly improved and works whether or not autopilot is engaged.

And the music interface is improved and gives you more choices as to size and shape on the screen.

However I agree that some owner control over the font size and/or voice control for more functions would be welcome additions for many Tesla owners, old and young. A number of the younger and/or more aggressive drivers don't like to have to look at the screen for anything, because they don't want to take their eyes off the road at all. And many older drives and others with strong eyeglass proscriptions , even though they easily pass their driver's eye test with glasses, may still have some trouble moving eyes from place to place and seeing clearly what they need to see on the screen, especially if one must wear bifocals or trifocals for good vision at all ranges.

Atoms | 29 octobre 2018

It would be VERY nice for owners to have control over font size. A larger font with same line width (not just scaled) would be appreciated. Also night dark mode has poor contrast. Contrast control and font size control are needed. The manual is impossible to read at night.
The warning messages are much too small and disappear before they can be read.

Moving of the clock and temp to the left was a great change. More changes are needed for those of us who don’t have young eagle eyes.

slingshot18 | 29 octobre 2018

These middle age eyes think the font is fine. I don’t find myself reading the screen much when driving.

Seth.e.levine | 17 avril 2019

All warning messages should be at the top left of the screen and should be in a larger font and should stay on for at least 3 seconds.